Jimmy McGuinness

Started by here comes 6, September 27, 2012, 08:37:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tiempo

There isn't a lot transferrable to be honest in terms of what he did in the amateur parochial environment of GAA to the wider professional sporting arena. If he was good enough at Celtic they'd have kept him/promoted him, I'd say they soon got fed up with the jargon and were happy to see him go. I'd go as far to say he wouldn't make a decent job of managing another county outside of his own in GAA, he needs to be seen as a messiah to function in GAA, nowhere else in Ireland is that the case, players would soon get fed up listening to him whine on.

GetOverTheBar

Quote from: tiempo on July 18, 2019, 11:57:38 AM
There isn't a lot transferrable to be honest in terms of what he did in the amateur parochial environment of GAA to the wider professional sporting arena. If he was good enough at Celtic they'd have kept him/promoted him, I'd say they soon got fed up with the jargon and were happy to see him go. I'd go as far to say he wouldn't make a decent job of managing another county outside of his own in GAA, he needs to be seen as a messiah to function in GAA, nowhere else in Ireland is that the case, players would soon get fed up listening to him whine on.

That is a bold statement.

ck

Quote from: tiempo on July 18, 2019, 11:57:38 AM

I think this is a bit harsh. I agree that he would have less impact in another county rather than his own but I think he has proven that there's more to him than a "jargon" man. I think you have a point in that Celtic would have kept him if he was any good but remember it was Neil Lennon (personal friend) who brought him in. When Lennon left then Jimmy was possibly vulnerable and had to seek something else.
With Lennon back at Celtic is it plausible or likely that he'll have him back?.. or is he more tarnished now given he has a managerial record as opposed to last time where he was fresh out of GAA success.

GalwayBayBoy

McGuinness has spent a lot of time and money getting his qualifications and work experience. Can hardly see him ditching the soccer to go back to the GAA after the first setback he encounters. Would seem an odd move.

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: Aaron Boone on July 18, 2019, 11:35:42 AM
He has his UEFA A License so has every right to go for these jobs and impress at interview.
...against ex pros and experienced managers with a track record who know the league and have Pro licences...

Nobody is saying he is unemployable. Put another way, I think Stephen Kenny could do a job as a Gaelic Football manager. But he aint getting a county team first job in.

StephenC

Saw a stat somewhere (was it mentioned on this thread?) about one-and-done professional soccer managers. A significant number get one chance, it doesn't work out and they never manage again. Wouldn't be surprised if that was the case with Jim.