Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

imtommygunn

Of course I forgot about Na Piarsiagh...

Munster teams not that successful in the AI though considering the strength of hurling there and how many Liam McCarthy's they have.

Looking at the records they won nearly every one in the 70s.

Pearse Blue

Whats the craic with that McKaigue fella in midfield? Any time he won a free or simply struck a ball without being hooked he was cheering and tensing in the Ballyhale lads faces? Seemed like it was in Sneill plan to get in Ballyhales faces and force them into discipline mistakes which didn't ever seem like it was going to happen. 

Milltown Row2

The throwing away of the sticks was childish, but regardless of that (I've seen it in plenty games up here) S'Neil were a puck of the ball away from winning this game up, until Fennelly who basically bulldozed his way in for two cracking goals (they were hanging off him!). Now no one had given S'neil a chance to be within 12 points of this Ballyhale team.

I thought Ballyhale last day out were struggling to get away from the Carlow team in the final, but they have quality throughout the pitch and never panic and that's what gets them over the line, as for the later game, well what can you say about Maher, he's outstanding, his ability to get on the ball in all areas of the pitch is awesome.

As DR says the next Antrim champions to come up against S'neil will be up against it from the start, teams have to be able to play the sweeper system better, it was keeping S'neil in the game but they needed to break away from it with about 10 minutes to go to give it a go, and have a chance of winning.

None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

imtommygunn

Fennelly is as strong a player as is about. He does the same in county hurling too unless teams get a few boys round him to bottle him up.

johnnycool

Quote from: imtommygunn on January 06, 2020, 11:41:24 AM
Fennelly is as strong a player as is about. He does the same in county hurling too unless teams get a few boys round him to bottle him up.

His touch wasn't that great last year at IC and allowed teams to get the required flicks and so in to prevent him gaining possession but that looked a lot better yesterday.

imtommygunn

His goal in the final last year was one of the best I've ever seen (the diving one) but yeah he wasn't quite as good I think you're right. He is a tough boy to watch. He won't score loads of points but when he gets the ball there's real danger unless you get him surrounded or dispossessed pretty sharpish.

north_antrim_hound

Went down to match and was worth the trip. Wasn't a 5 point game and fennelly likes his extra steps. Having said that if someone is pulling at you then it's good ref work to let it go.
Sneil are for sure the best team in Ulster and it's great to have them there from an Antrim perspective.
If the Antrim champs can beat Sneil then they could be competitive in all Ireland matches.
Thought Joey Holden needs a mention, kept sniel 14 very quiet by attacking the ball and not the man
Over all a great game in the conditions and some great scores. Rogers goal the best score of the day
There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets

NAG1

Any one else think that it was strange that SN were getting pulled up on their tackling style?
That is the way they have played and tackled all the way through their campaigns rightly or wrongly and yesterday was the first time that I have seen a ref consistently punish them for it.

Na Glinntí Glasa

Quote from: north_antrim_hound on January 06, 2020, 11:57:27 AM
Went down to match and was worth the trip. Wasn't a 5 point game and fennelly likes his extra steps. Having said that if someone is pulling at you then it's good ref work to let it go.
Sneil are for sure the best team in Ulster and it's great to have them there from an Antrim perspective.
If the Antrim champs can beat Sneil then they could be competitive in all Ireland matches.
Thought Joey Holden needs a mention, kept sniel 14 very quiet by attacking the ball and not the man
Over all a great game in the conditions and some great scores. Rogers goal the best score of the day

Holden was superb, as was the No.4 in beside him. no one panics on the ball ever and they can all pass it out with confidence.

i thought the ref had a great game and was consistent throughout the hour. He seemed to play the advantage rule to perfection and let it go when needed.

Rodgers goal was fantastic. what a score and it gave the game some finish
hurl like f**k boi!

Nightyawk

Quote from: Pearse Blue on January 06, 2020, 11:34:39 AM
Whats the craic with that McKaigue fella in midfield? Any time he won a free or simply struck a ball without being hooked he was cheering and tensing in the Ballyhale lads faces? Seemed like it was in Sneill plan to get in Ballyhales faces and force them into discipline mistakes which didn't ever seem like it was going to happen.
Yes suppose Antrim hurling teams are well renowned for playing hurling and not slabbering and getting in each others faces. Slaughtneil knew they were outclassed in hurling ability and had to try other tactics to level playing field, surely nothing wrong with that?

imtommygunn

I like the look of that lineup for the Offaly game. McManus, Molloy and McNaughton all starting and Johnstons back too. We may or may not win but at least it looks like our best players are in there which is a good start.

Milltown Row2

Have Offaly improved?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Milltown Row2

Beaten by one point, Antrim couldn't get in front during this game, was hoping for a win in this cup, gets you into the Walsh cup the following year I think

Na Glinntí Glasa

by all accounts we played well enough. when you consider that Keelan and James have barely played a game they both got through the game rightly. add to that we have Ciaran Clarke to add back in there, conal cunning etc we have a good solid panel of players.

I know we wont lose any sleep over the Keohe Cup but it was good to see us get so many games in the build up to the League start at the end of the month. Offaly will be the team to beat in our league this year, along with Kerry, so its good to get a barometer of where we are against them at the moment.
hurl like f**k boi!

Na Glinntí Glasa

Start of the league this weekend away to Wicklow then home to Mayo. those are two games that you would be wanting us to be winning before a tough game away to Offaly.

I dont think you can use the Keohe Cup game as much of a yardstick but on paper we should be beating them. With the Cdall lads back, the Johnnies players along with G Walsh etc all in the squad its prob the strongest panel we have had in the last few seasons.
hurl like f**k boi!