GAA Suspensions

Started by Homer, December 08, 2006, 01:28:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Homer

The way the GAA implements its suspensions has always puzzled me, here is a very recent example

"Connacht club champions St. Brigid's breathed a massive sigh of relief on Thursday night, December 7 when star forward Frankie Dolan was only banned for two months, meaning that he will be eligible to play in February's All-Ireland semi-final."
-Taken from the hoganstand.

Now nothing against Dolan (who the article says "accepted his culpability in the incident") but he will now be suspended for two months and not miss one match (competitive anyway). I just don't see the justice in it.

Anyone else agree?

Gnevin

The time come of match bans not time bans how is it fair that one guy could miss  8 games in a two period and other misses none ?

I epically love the 13 day bans that allow inter county not to miss games
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

ildanach

i agree totally. Match bans not month bans. Then have a set number of games for specific offences e.g violent conduct, stiking 4 match. The ban must also only punish the player on that particular team eg sent off intercounty match, then intercounty ban, university / university, club/club.
Another rule would be if an appeal is unsuccessful then the ban is increased. 
and while i am at it............although you don't get a ban for 2 yellows then a red. Why not bring it in that if this happens a couple of times within  a 4 game period you get a 2 game ban
Statistics are like a bikini. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.