League Final

Started by Reillers, April 29, 2010, 11:35:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Last Man

Aisake was described last week in the press when asking for play for play as one of GAA's "top performers". Surely you can't dismiss him after just one poor performance ?.
[/quote]

He's been great at winning primary possession all season, it's just what he does with it. Wrong option time after time, surely Walsh can work on this with him. Most top full backs at the minute would nearly be happy to let him win the ball knowing they will disposess/hook/block him handy enough. Cork would nearly need to develop a system of play for the forwards that uses his ball winning abilities to better effect, if they could link up better it could work yet.

johnneycool

Quote from: Last Man on May 04, 2010, 10:03:51 AM
Aisake was described last week in the press when asking for play for play as one of GAA's "top performers". Surely you can't dismiss him after just one poor performance ?.

He's been great at winning primary possession all season, it's just what he does with it. Wrong option time after time, surely Walsh can work on this with him. Most top full backs at the minute would nearly be happy to let him win the ball knowing they will disposess/hook/block him handy enough. Cork would nearly need to develop a system of play for the forwards that uses his ball winning abilities to better effect, if they could link up better it could work yet.
[/quote]

Aisake looks a long way off the mark for this level. Cussen would be the better option and work with him especially around the puck outs where Cork again failed miserably and its understandable why Donal O'g wants to take quick short ones even if they're high risk.
I think its ominus for Sean O'g that he couldn't break the tackle when he did get possession of the ball and the once that he did he couldn't get away from his man and that was his trademake in his prime. I thought young Dillon did OK in fullback, but did get caught on the wrong side of Joe at one stage which allowed Joe a clean catch which i think cost one of the goals, but if Cadagon is fit and able he might get a run in the number 7 shirt.
I was a bit surprised at the ease of how the Galway half backs and midfielders were able to bat the ball down and a lot of the times to themselves, especially Farragher who wouldn't be known for his aerial prowess.
There doesn't seem to be any real leaders coming through in the forwards for Cork, potential is one thing, realising it when it matters is another.
As for Galway, Cavanagh looked the part at fullback, but TBH Aisake's stick work and handling is a long way off and allowed Cavanagh to get hooks and blocks in that a Richie Power or Eddie Brennan won't give him a sniff at. You can only be judged on what you are up against. Collins gives Galway more options, I like Farraghers use of the ball but he does have his quota of stupid and wild passes per game which will prove costly unless he gets it sorted. The forwards are all a bit wayward in the shooting at times with silly wides which they got away with but in tight games they'll need to start sailing over and if they can get another few weighing in with good returns it'll make life easier for Joe Canning.

Galway will be happy to have a win over one of the big three whereas I don't think the defeat will be too devastating in Cork and maybe Walsh may have got a good insight that some of his ideas just won't work and he's now got a bit of time to hope to uncover a few good hurlers to shot up like mushrooms of old.