Fermanagh Football & Hurling

Started by Erne Gael, November 10, 2006, 10:30:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Do you agree with the new Summer League for Club teams?

Yes, gives the club players plenty of matches
23 (50%)
No, rather play challenge matches
4 (8.7%)
Waste of time, won't be taken seriously
19 (41.3%)

Total Members Voted: 45

nrico2006

Dungannon have a Raliway Cup player of their own, and sure they have loads of Senior Intercounty stars themselves :D
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

milltown row

Quote from: saffron sam2 on October 20, 2009, 10:58:27 AM
Quote from: greeny on October 15, 2009, 10:17:57 AM
I imagine there will be a few sore and bruised bodies next Tuesday night for Galls when Cavan Gaels are finished with them!!

Certainly appears to be the case with Conor McGourty (broken finger), Sean Burke (sore leg) and Ciaran Joseph (CJ) McGourty (too tired) all extremely doubtful for tonight's big game. I am amazed that the St. Gall's football management didn't rest a few of the top 'hurlers' when it became clear that Cavan Gaels had totally lost the discipline.

Anyhow, regardless of the injuries, anything other than a similar scoreline to the Lisbellaw match will be seen as a massive surprise in 'hurling' circles. It's amazing that a team with two Railway Cup players and another senior inter-county star are playing Intermediate 'hurling' - surely as clear a statement as any as to how seriously the game is taken in Milltown.

Whilst the result is a foregone conclusion, there are many sub plots that make this an intriguing affair. How many men will St. Gall's tog out for the warm up? How many will change back into their civvies straight after the warm-up? Who will chainsaw chop down and hospitalise (surely not Anto Healy again)? Was the headbutt a one-off or is such a red mist going to return among the Gallsmen? Will the opposing managers behave?

Get there if you can.

St. Gall's by 22.

I'm glad your taking an interest, should be a tight encounter, I'll take a one point win. Dungannon are a better team than Lisbellaw. and beat Carrickmore by two points in their county final. Carrickmore drew with Gorts last year (well gorts won by 2 but was put down as a draw) Gorts already beaten us this year so 22 points is way off the mark.

i doubt that you'd get out of the closet tonight to watch the game, you being a burn the hurl gay i mean guy then I'm glad we've turned you from a failed footballer to a hurling enthusiast

saffron sam2

Quote from: milltown row on October 20, 2009, 12:34:28 PM
i doubt that you'd get out of the closet tonight to watch the game, you being a burn the hurl gay i mean guy then I'm glad we've turned you from a failed footballer to a hurling enthusiast

The gay jokes are incredibly original and humourous - I would only hear them about 20 times a day, admittedly mostly from 12 year olds.

Interestingly I was playing senior hurling for my club long before you were playing for yours. But the pressure of being a failure in two sports was too much. So coupled with the fact that my club (like yours) was basically a football only outfit (with a few token 'hurling' zealots) I decided to hang up the hurl. A decision that I never regretted and one that should be seriously considered by all 'hurlers' in Antrim.

Good luck this evening by the way.
the breathing of the vanished lies in acres round my feet

lynchbhoy

Quote from: saffron sam2 on October 20, 2009, 02:04:12 PM
Quote from: milltown row on October 20, 2009, 12:34:28 PM

The gay jokes are incredibly original and humourous - I would only hear them about 20 times a day, admittedly mostly from 12 year olds.

Interestingly I was playing senior hurling for my club long before you were playing for yours. But the pressure of being a failure in two sports was too much. So coupled with the fact that my club (like yours) was basically a football only outfit (with a few token 'hurling' zealots) I decided to hang up the hurl. A decision that I never regretted and one that should be seriously considered by all 'hurlers' in Antrim.

Good luck this evening by the way.

I find it considerably amusing that anyone would attempt to label you 'gay' given your antics of a number of years ago !!
Unless you were out to dispell any accusations by doing so....
def more of a puff daddy than a puff daniel !

drici

Was talking to a couple of Fermanagh ones who had wandered into the Athletic Grounds on Sunday. One of them said that St Galls had too many players kitted out before the Lisbellaw match and had to tell them to get changed back. Also said that the St Galls' manager was hiding a piece of paper with what appeared to be the names of the eventual panel on it from the assistant manager and kept putting it up his back when he tried to look at it.

milltown row

Quote from: drici on October 20, 2009, 02:30:19 PM
Was talking to a couple of Fermanagh ones who had wandered into the Athletic Grounds on Sunday. One of them said that St Galls had too many players kitted out before the Lisbellaw match and had to tell them to get changed back. Also said that the St Galls' manager was hiding a piece of paper with what appeared to be the names of the eventual panel on it from the assistant manager and kept putting it up his back when he tried to look at it.

the match programme would have had all the players named on the panel which was widely available before the game.

Crossmaglen had 30 odd players warming up at the Marshes two years ago before the Ulster final. its not uncommon to have 30 in a panel. unfortunaetly the Ulster council think this is a great idea (to have only 24)

as for the couple of fermanagh ones they must have been the only two that were at Brewster park that day so they get about.

Sammy, as for the gay jokes they are nearly as humourous as yours. wouldn't say Michael Davitt's, Swatragh is a football club either or hurling for that matter

saffron sam2

An interesting, if irrelevant aside. I'm told that tonight's referee is a member of Michael Davitt's, Swatragh, but you probably knew that anyway, hence the reference.

Small world as they say.

milltown row

Eamon is a excellent referee, has done a few games already and did the line against us v Loughgiel last year

saffron sam2

Quote from: milltown row on October 20, 2009, 03:41:58 PM
Eamon is a excellent referee, has done a few games already and did the line against us v Loughgiel last year

These things have a habit of coming back to bite you, you do know that. Probably better saving your praise until after the game.

ExiledGael

Quote from: sammymaguire on October 20, 2009, 09:56:56 AM
was the Roslea/D'gonnelly game abandoned on Sunday? due to a major fracas!

There was certainly a major rumble, always going to happen as Roslea were not happy at what went on in the county final, but the ref did let the game finish. He would have had every right to call it off with all but one player boxing at one stage and a few spectators jumping over the fences to get into it also.
He was probably under a certain pressure to get the final round of games completed as semis and relegation play-off are this weekend.

As for the Mark Little rumour, it has been doing the rounds lately but don't know how true it is or how their relegation might affect things.

sammymaguire

cheers fella,not scenes anyone wants
DRIVE THAT BALL ON!!

Tony Baloney

Quote from: saffron sam2 on October 20, 2009, 10:58:27 AM
Quote from: greeny on October 15, 2009, 10:17:57 AM
I imagine there will be a few sore and bruised bodies next Tuesday night for Galls when Cavan Gaels are finished with them!!

Certainly appears to be the case with Conor McGourty (broken finger), Sean Burke (sore leg) and Ciaran Joseph (CJ) McGourty (too tired) all extremely doubtful for tonight's big game. I am amazed that the St. Gall's football management didn't rest a few of the top 'hurlers' when it became clear that Cavan Gaels had totally lost the discipline.

Anyhow, regardless of the injuries, anything other than a similar scoreline to the Lisbellaw match will be seen as a massive surprise in 'hurling' circles. It's amazing that a team with two Railway Cup players and another senior inter-county star are playing Intermediate 'hurling' - surely as clear a statement as any as to how seriously the game is taken in Milltown.

Whilst the result is a foregone conclusion, there are many sub plots that make this an intriguing affair. How many men will St. Gall's tog out for the warm up? How many will change back into their civvies straight after the warm-up? Who will chainsaw chop down and hospitalise (surely not Anto Healy again)? Was the headbutt a one-off or is such a red mist going to return among the Gallsmen? Will the opposing managers behave?

Get there if you can.

St. Gall's by 22.
Not bad.

ONeill

1-5 to 1-5 at half time was a bit embarrassing though.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: ONeill on October 20, 2009, 11:15:37 PM
1-5 to 1-5 at half time was a bit embarrassing though.
The wee man obviously went in and threw a few wine bottles around the changing rooms. Dungannon were brutal in the second half. Would like to think Middletown will give them a match but smart money would still be on the men from the Row.

ONeill

Strong rumours that Milltown actually took off 1-2 of the footballers tonight.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.