Benny throws open the gates of Rome to Anglicans

Started by Donagh, October 20, 2009, 09:20:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

deiseach

Quote from: Farrandeelin on October 21, 2009, 10:05:44 AM
The Nicene creed is the long one isn't it. It's the Apostles Creed that's shorter or am I worng?

You are right

deiseach

Quote from: T Fearon on October 21, 2009, 11:38:30 AM
Not sure if I agree with this. While members of the deformed churches should always be welcomed into the one true holy apostolic faith, individually or en masse, it can surely only be on condition of complete adherence to catholic doctrine, and no other, and acceptance of the infallibility and supreme authority of the Pope, and only the Pope, in all matters theological.

Christ converts to Islam

Tony Baloney

Not sure if I agree with this. While members of the deformed churches should always be welcomed into the one true holy apostolic faith, individually or en masse, it can surely only be on condition of complete adherence to catholic doctrine, and no other, and acceptance of the infallibility and supreme authority of the Pope, and only the Pope, in all matters theological.
As opposed to who? God?

Although I agree with your sentiment. How can you have a halfway house - you are in or out. Is what someone referred to a while back as an "a la carte Catholic"?

Donagh

There are many different traditions already within the Catholic Church from the 20 odd Eastern Churches who have a different liturgy from the Western Church to the various traditionalists who use various forms of the pre Vatican II versions of the Latin Rite. Many of these would already see the majority Latin Rite most commonly in use in Catholic churches in the West as a 'halfway house', Protestant in character (happy clappy my wife calls it). My point being that the Catholic Church is already a very wide communion and there is room for the Anglicans.

I just want to know when we'll be getting all our Churches back and will they still be allowed to fly the union jack from the spire in Lurgan.  ;D

deiseach

Quote from: Donagh on October 21, 2009, 01:06:01 PM
I just want to know when we'll be getting all our Churches back and will they still be allowed to fly the union jack from the spire in Lurgan.  ;D

We're still claiming Christ Church in Dublin.

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Quote from: deiseach on October 21, 2009, 01:08:37 PM

We're still claiming Christ Church in Dublin.

Deiseach I always wondered why it was called the Pro-Cathedral, thanks for that.
Tbc....

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

I just want to know when we'll be getting all our Churches back and will they still be allowed to fly the union jack from the spire in Lurgan. ;D
Just because they rejoin the Catholic family doesn't mean that it changes their politics, sure isn't Tony Blair & Princess Micheal Queen, Liz arse licking Taigs

Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

The Iceman

Tony it would make more sense for you to understand what the infallibility of the Pope really means and when it has been applied historically before you stamp that on as a requirement for anyone to join the Roman Catholic Church.
I welcome everyone to the Church.  There will never be one true Catholic church until we find ways to build bridges with other denominations.  I would be big fan of getting people in the door first and welcoming them and allowing them to learn and grow over time rather than your proposed sign this or else decree......
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

The Iceman

Quote from: T Fearon on October 21, 2009, 03:13:25 PM
The danger with that scenario is that if they are not committed to the one true faith entirely prior to conversion, they may agitate from within thus diluting the faith, leading ultimately to the  incorporation of many of the  current falsehoods associated with the various protestant sects.

And what would these falsehoods be Tony?  Please make sure you know your facts before coming back with anything and are not just spouting something you have cut and pasted from an apologetic website....
I am convinced that although there may be some internal struggles with certain areas of doctrine we can learn a lot from our Anglican friends and grow as a Church.
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

deiseach

Quote from: The Iceman on October 21, 2009, 03:01:31 PM
Tony it would make more sense for you to understand what the infallibility of the Pope really means and when it has been applied historically before you stamp that on as a requirement for anyone to join the Roman Catholic Church.

Learn something new? Chance'd be a fine thing

The Iceman

Quote from: T Fearon on October 21, 2009, 03:42:59 PM
Truth is truth as laid down by Jesus and the Apostles, whch forms the core of catholicism, there is nothing new to be learned from anyone, convert or otherwise, in that respect.

If you are talking about being enriched by the experience of meeting new and diverse people, yes I agree, but that happens day and daily, in every facet of life.

Nothing new to be learned from anyone? Ha.  I think therein lies all your problems......

The Iceman

Tony the Roman Catholic Church has changed dramatically since the times of Jesus and the Disciples. We have made, broken and changed our own "truths" throughout the centuries. If you hold onto purely "Biblical" truths then you deny the pillar and foundation of the truth - the Church, not the Bible.

I suspect, as usual, you make ill-informed comments laced with some truth in the hope that someone will take offense and that others will not be knowledgeable enough to challenge.

New "truths" or better understanding can come from converts and from "cradle" Catholics

Hardy

How many theologians can dance on the head of a pin as they create "truths"?

The Iceman

Quote from: T Fearon on October 21, 2009, 04:52:37 PM
The core truths have not changed however.

Basically I am saying simply that all converts should be accepted on condition that they subscribe fully and exclusively to the tenets of Roman Catholicism.

What you seem to be implying is that the same converts can bring certain elements of the erroneous faiths they have hitherto adhered to and that these can be added to, or substitute for, certain Roman Catholic doctrines. That will inevtiably lead to at best a dilution of the truth or at worst a new further so called reformed "church", which is a mishmash of all the beliefs, erroneous or otherwise, of all the denominations.

I think the Church will continue to rely on the Holy Spirit for direction not the all knowing Tony Fearon.
If the Church decides to open its gates to Anglicans or whoever else it decides then as a Roman Catholic you must accept that Tony.  Otherwise you would only be contradicting yourself.......

Evil Genius

Quote from: T Fearon on October 21, 2009, 01:52:18 PM
This means that the famous Church in Drumcree (CofI) will become a catholic church again ;D
I think you'll find that the CofI has always deemed itself to be "catholic", since the word merely means "worldwide", or "universal".
Consequently, when Anglicans recite the Nicene Creed at Confirmation, for instance, they include the line:
"We believe in one holy, catholic and apostolic Church"
http://www.cofe.anglican.org/faith/anglican/

Now Roman  Catholic - that's something rather more specific and I suspect the congregation at Drumcree might have something to say about moving over to that particular sect.  ;)

P.S. Seeing as you're a notable Apostate yourself, who forsook the one true faith of the IFA ("Original and Best"), to jump on the splitters' bandwagon of the FAI, I'd be a little less hard on "converts" myself, if I were you... :D
"If you come in here again, you'd better bring guns"
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"