Traditional Irish Food

Started by Lecale2, October 20, 2009, 09:01:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hardy

Wheaten bread is soon forgotten.

Puckoon

I posted this before, but it is always worth a second read.

Bacon and Cabbage

I know this is a cruel thing to do to those of you who are far away from Ireland's kitchens so, if you have a craving for bacon and spuds and cabbage upon you at this moment, then stop reading here and scroll elsewhere. PLEASE GO NOW.....I WILL BE BACK NEXT WEEK.........

Those of you who are still here, accordingly, should be informed that of all the foods and gastronomic delights of all the cultures of the world nothing, in its time and season, compares with the total experience of Irish Spuds and Irish Collar Bacon and Irish Cabbage all combined together for what we call a "good feed". Those who have departed from us, dear remaining readers, have departed because they are in farflung corners of this complex world and know that it would break their hearts to be reminded, in all the detail I am about to give, of the sheer sensual joy of the kind of plates of Bacon and Cabbage that their mothers and grandmothers used place before them as a matter of course.

You can travel the world over at the highest level of luxury. You can devour exotic dishes of all the other cultures. You can have fillet steak and Peking Duck and Italian Pastas and goulashes and curries and stir fries, banquets of Beef Wellington, fifteen course dinners of all the savouries and sweet concoctions of all the nations famed for their cuisine. You can have caviar and birds' nest soup and alligator steaks, Cajun suckling pig and shark's fins and yet, if you have any iota of Irish blood in you at all, nothing will ever quite reach into the deep marrow of your soul's content as a good feed of Bacon and Cabbage.
The mood came upon me yesterday. When that mood descends upon the top of your head, as it did with me quite suddenly, then it links immediately with the pit of the stomach and you instantly know what it feels like to be addicted to cocaine or substances of that nature. You must have your fix. Inside five minutes I was inside the splendid Corofin establishment of Tom Hogan Junior and Senior and it was Tom Junior who was behind the counter.

I need, says I, the Feed. Young Tom is wise beyond his years. I did not need to say anything further. One speedy sortie through Tom's emporium and he laid before me a small sack of Golden Wonder spuds, the very finest spuds in the world, together with a lovely wedge of Munster Collar Bacon lightly smoked, and as fine a head of cabbage as I've ever clapped an eye on. This head of cabbage was green on the outside and white on the inside and as solidly constructed as the poll of an elder of Ian Paisley's Free Presbyterian church. The cost was minimal. It was less than the cost of one tiny thigh of a smoked quail I'd paid for in Galway just one week earlier.

I went home. The Dutch Nation, whom I love, does not yet understand the workings of Bacon and Cabbage so I did the cooking my own self, growing ever more feverishly famished by the minute. The big saucepan was produced and the head of cabbage, thoroughly washed, was chopped and put down in clear cold water surrounding the smoked collar of Bacon. The lid was replaced and the heat set for a long slow boiling process that would cook the beautiful Bacon in a way that would spread its smokey slightly saltified juices though the concurrently cooking green and white cabbage beneath an aromaticating froth. This froth, burbling happily away under the lid of the saucepan, slowly but subtly began to spread its olfactorification and glorification right throughout the kitchen and beyond. Soon, standing at the sink washing the Golden Wonders, I became almost giddy with a combination of expectation and sheer animal hunger.

Golden Wonder spuds are the princesses of their species. They are pear-shaped beauties whose skin, paradoxically, feels coarse and gritty to the touch but is quite remarkably delicate at the same time. They are the perfect spuds to travel alongside Bacon and Cabbage because, when properly cooked, they have an outstanding flavour and a finely floury consistency. But they need to be perfectly cooked because, given one minute too long in the boiling water, they will burst open. The Dutch Nation watched me with amused amazement as I fussed over my two saucepans like an old hen, constantly licking my lips. It was a matter of perfect timing you see to ensure that the Golden Wonders were drained and steaming away towards their ultimate perfection just as the Bacon and Cabbage were at the same stage, the Bacon joint removed from the draining Cabbage for the last three or four minutes, its steam forming a perfect halo inside another halo as I sharpened my knife and readied my plates.

I enjoy a glass of wine with every other dinner. But not with Bacon and Cabbage. With Bacon and Cabbage there is no drink to touch a glass of ice cold milk. And you must also have real butter....for the spuds....and you must have fresh English mustard. (The really only good thing about the English is their mustard!)

Two large willow-pattern plates and all the other elements were assembled together and, finally, about two hours after my initial hunger, the Dutch Nation and I sat down at the table, the evening sun garnishing the cottage window, the fire crackling hungrily in the background. And the first mouthful of that Feed was akin to the doorstep of Paradise.

Ahhhhhh!

The Americans have Corned Beef and Cabbage. It is not the same thing. In Europe it is possible to put together some kind of bacon, some kind of potatoes and some kind of cabbage. But it is not the same. The Dutch Nation is now no longer even a token vegetarian. I am sated for a week or so. If you have never been to Ireland and if you like food then it is worth coming just for that reason alone. In its time and season Bacon and Cabbage....and Golden Wonders....puts Killarney into the shade altogether. And that's a fact.

Lecale2

Great stuff Puckoon. I can almost smell it!

downredblack

Champ and fish on a Friday , Herring , Mackeral or Ray . If the boats were'nt out a bit of smoked or red as we used to call it as kids . I remember the granny was brilliant at bonning out herrings under the running tap . There wouldn't be a bone to be found once she was done with them beauties .

rosnarun

Quote from: ludermor on October 21, 2009, 02:09:07 PM
a lad i work with has a banana sandwich with cheese and raspberry jam.

were you a friend of Elvis
he used to have fried peanut butter and banana sandwiches
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

leenie

carrots and parsnips mashed together!
I'm trying to decide on a really meaningful message..

Caid

Quote from: leenie on October 21, 2009, 11:04:32 PM
carrots and parsnips mashed together!

Average enough fodder that is
When my country takes her place among the nations of the earth...then may my epitaph be written

gawa316

Love a big plate of mince and spuds

Gabriel_Hurl

who doesn't? in fact - I'll make some for dinner tonight with some peas and carrots

Tony Baloney

Quote from: gawa316 on October 21, 2009, 11:23:47 PM
Always a winner in this house too. The wife still insists on mixing hers up like a child.

Gabriel_Hurl

Quote from: Tony Baloney on October 22, 2009, 12:03:22 AM
Quote from: gawa316 on October 21, 2009, 11:23:47 PM
Always a winner in this house too. The wife still insists on mixing hers up like a child.

As well she should

Never beat the deeler

Quote from: Puckoon on October 21, 2009, 05:27:00 PM
I posted this before, but it is always worth a second read.

Bacon and Cabbage

I know this is a cruel thing to do to those of you who are far away from Ireland's kitchens so, if you have a craving for bacon and spuds and cabbage upon you at this moment, then stop reading here and scroll elsewhere. PLEASE GO NOW.....I WILL BE BACK NEXT WEEK.........

Those of you who are still here, accordingly, should be informed that of all the foods and gastronomic delights of all the cultures of the world nothing, in its time and season, compares with the total experience of Irish Spuds and Irish Collar Bacon and Irish Cabbage all combined together for what we call a "good feed". Those who have departed from us, dear remaining readers, have departed because they are in farflung corners of this complex world and know that it would break their hearts to be reminded, in all the detail I am about to give, of the sheer sensual joy of the kind of plates of Bacon and Cabbage that their mothers and grandmothers used place before them as a matter of course.

You can travel the world over at the highest level of luxury. You can devour exotic dishes of all the other cultures. You can have fillet steak and Peking Duck and Italian Pastas and goulashes and curries and stir fries, banquets of Beef Wellington, fifteen course dinners of all the savouries and sweet concoctions of all the nations famed for their cuisine. You can have caviar and birds' nest soup and alligator steaks, Cajun suckling pig and shark's fins and yet, if you have any iota of Irish blood in you at all, nothing will ever quite reach into the deep marrow of your soul's content as a good feed of Bacon and Cabbage.
The mood came upon me yesterday. When that mood descends upon the top of your head, as it did with me quite suddenly, then it links immediately with the pit of the stomach and you instantly know what it feels like to be addicted to cocaine or substances of that nature. You must have your fix. Inside five minutes I was inside the splendid Corofin establishment of Tom Hogan Junior and Senior and it was Tom Junior who was behind the counter.

I need, says I, the Feed. Young Tom is wise beyond his years. I did not need to say anything further. One speedy sortie through Tom's emporium and he laid before me a small sack of Golden Wonder spuds, the very finest spuds in the world, together with a lovely wedge of Munster Collar Bacon lightly smoked, and as fine a head of cabbage as I've ever clapped an eye on. This head of cabbage was green on the outside and white on the inside and as solidly constructed as the poll of an elder of Ian Paisley's Free Presbyterian church. The cost was minimal. It was less than the cost of one tiny thigh of a smoked quail I'd paid for in Galway just one week earlier.

I went home. The Dutch Nation, whom I love, does not yet understand the workings of Bacon and Cabbage so I did the cooking my own self, growing ever more feverishly famished by the minute. The big saucepan was produced and the head of cabbage, thoroughly washed, was chopped and put down in clear cold water surrounding the smoked collar of Bacon. The lid was replaced and the heat set for a long slow boiling process that would cook the beautiful Bacon in a way that would spread its smokey slightly saltified juices though the concurrently cooking green and white cabbage beneath an aromaticating froth. This froth, burbling happily away under the lid of the saucepan, slowly but subtly began to spread its olfactorification and glorification right throughout the kitchen and beyond. Soon, standing at the sink washing the Golden Wonders, I became almost giddy with a combination of expectation and sheer animal hunger.

Golden Wonder spuds are the princesses of their species. They are pear-shaped beauties whose skin, paradoxically, feels coarse and gritty to the touch but is quite remarkably delicate at the same time. They are the perfect spuds to travel alongside Bacon and Cabbage because, when properly cooked, they have an outstanding flavour and a finely floury consistency. But they need to be perfectly cooked because, given one minute too long in the boiling water, they will burst open. The Dutch Nation watched me with amused amazement as I fussed over my two saucepans like an old hen, constantly licking my lips. It was a matter of perfect timing you see to ensure that the Golden Wonders were drained and steaming away towards their ultimate perfection just as the Bacon and Cabbage were at the same stage, the Bacon joint removed from the draining Cabbage for the last three or four minutes, its steam forming a perfect halo inside another halo as I sharpened my knife and readied my plates.

I enjoy a glass of wine with every other dinner. But not with Bacon and Cabbage. With Bacon and Cabbage there is no drink to touch a glass of ice cold milk. And you must also have real butter....for the spuds....and you must have fresh English mustard. (The really only good thing about the English is their mustard!)

Two large willow-pattern plates and all the other elements were assembled together and, finally, about two hours after my initial hunger, the Dutch Nation and I sat down at the table, the evening sun garnishing the cottage window, the fire crackling hungrily in the background. And the first mouthful of that Feed was akin to the doorstep of Paradise.

Ahhhhhh!

The Americans have Corned Beef and Cabbage. It is not the same thing. In Europe it is possible to put together some kind of bacon, some kind of potatoes and some kind of cabbage. But it is not the same. The Dutch Nation is now no longer even a token vegetarian. I am sated for a week or so. If you have never been to Ireland and if you like food then it is worth coming just for that reason alone. In its time and season Bacon and Cabbage....and Golden Wonders....puts Killarney into the shade altogether. And that's a fact.

Jaysus, I'm nearly crying here. Sorry now I didnt heed the advice at the start, but curiosity killed the cat!!

Agree with carrots & parsnips mashed together too. Brown scones with a lump of cheddar. Turnips with brown sauce.

Mmmmm cant wait to go home for Xmas
Hasta la victoria siempre

moysider

Quote from: Bod Mor on October 21, 2009, 01:18:35 AM
Quote from: moysider on October 21, 2009, 12:46:28 AM

Jaysus your some chancer. Far from moss and beastings you were reared. Its not about hay being saved late but the cows calve earlier in the year. You must have had a poor granny lived near the sea in hard times whose only cow calved in July.

Yeah, up around your way the big farmers with yer hundreds of acres, big Landini tractors and big sheds it's a good idea to have cows calving early on in the year but on small farms (couple of acres and a handful of cows) it doesn't work that way.

Chancer?  ???

Some conlusions you're jumping to!

Ah Jaysus Bod I was only rippin the piss. Wish I had those hundreds of acres. Have you seriously eaten the stuff?

moysider

Quote from: johnneycool on October 21, 2009, 09:23:58 AM
Quote from: Bod Mor on October 20, 2009, 11:21:04 PM
Quote from: rosnarun on October 20, 2009, 10:20:32 PM
goody
boxty
cally

Proper Irish food

Deadly!!

Also: Bacon, turnips and spuds
Bacon and cabbage...and spuds
Mackerel cooked on the tongs with a feed of spuds and a raw onion
Gorra bui (beastings from a cow boiled up)
Cally with spring onions cut up (Ya know the summer is on the way when ya have this!)

I'm almost afraid to ask what beastings are, is it the afterbirth?

Fresh soda bread and wheaten bread still moist, not that shite served up by Ormeau, just off the griddle with melted butter and a dollup of jam. Used to get it most days after coming home from school.

Beastings/Colostrum is the milk that a cow produces after giving birth. It is yellow and thick and curds when heated. Full of antibodies and unless a newborn calf gets a good feed of it he s in trouble because his immune system is poor without it. It takes a few days before a cow produces the white milk you can put in your tay. As for the afterbirth, the cow usually eats that herself if let. But many farmers wont allow them to do that because it does nt look right a herbivore eating meat, and choke can happen as well. It s badly needed protein for her and it cleans up the mess that would attract predators when these animals were wild. Never came across anybody that actually eat beastings or the afterbirth/cleanings. Mind you I would nt knock it. In hard times protein was protein, end off. Delicacies like snail  and frog were famine food that became delicacies.

Bod Mor

Quote from: moysider on October 22, 2009, 12:25:47 AM
Quote from: Bod Mor on October 21, 2009, 01:18:35 AM
Quote from: moysider on October 21, 2009, 12:46:28 AM

Jaysus your some chancer. Far from moss and beastings you were reared. Its not about hay being saved late but the cows calve earlier in the year. You must have had a poor granny lived near the sea in hard times whose only cow calved in July.

Yeah, up around your way the big farmers with yer hundreds of acres, big Landini tractors and big sheds it's a good idea to have cows calving early on in the year but on small farms (couple of acres and a handful of cows) it doesn't work that way.

Chancer?  ???

Some conlusions you're jumping to!

Ah Jaysus Bod I was only rippin the piss. Wish I had those hundreds of acres. Have you seriously eaten the stuff?

No bother, one of them days, ya know yerself ;)

I have eaten the stuff. I was home last year but couldn't get a hold of stuff at all. We boil it in the saucepan til about half of it looks like almost cooked scrambled eggs and then horse it into a bowl and eat away. Don't wear your best underwear the next day though!
Ó chuir mé 'mo cheann é ní stopfaidh mé choíche
Go seasfaidh mé thíos i lár Chondae Mhaigh Eo.