Leinster Senior Football Championship 2023

Started by Spiritof86, April 07, 2023, 12:02:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spiritof86

Midlands Radio 3 :

Just one change for Laois for their Leinster SFC clash with Wexford on Sunday with Padraig Kirwan, who scored a goal in London, coming in for Brian Byrne at left wing-back. 

Byrne is not named on the panel, so guessing an injury

Unlaoised

Great win to set up.a big night v the Dubs in Portlaoise .

Good reward for  a team who have trained hard .

Hopefully the county come out to support them
LAOIS ABÚ

Giovanni

I thought  Portlaoise wasn't big enough for Dublin? ;)

High Fielder

Quote from: Unlaoised on April 10, 2023, 09:04:41 AM
Great win to set up.a big night v the Dubs in Portlaoise .

Good reward for  a team who have trained hard .

Hopefully the county come out to support them

Free hit for the CB here. Produce your club membership and get in for half price. Zero incentive to be there otherwise. We'll get beaten by whatever Dublin fancy on the day

on the hop

Really poor crowd there yesterday, wonder what the numbers were like ? The match was at the level where both teams are currently at, we had the better forwards and got over the line eventually. We seemed to have abandoned the heavy defensive system we operated in some of the league games, I still don't understand how Timmons is being asked at times to cover the sweeper role, he is one of our greatest servants but hasn't the pace to do the covering required. We still were defensive at times and played this modern counterattack system which most teams are using to varying degrees of success. Whether we have the blinding pace to allow us go further in the other competition remains to be seen.  If Wexford had used the breeze more effectively and shot better the game would have been a lot tighter but in the second half we were far more economical with our shots especially mark Barry and Evan. We have loads of issues to sort out especially the kickouts which were a mess and lead to numerous scores and we still can't stop conceding goals.

One gripe though is the substitutions or the lack of any meaningful substitutions. Is the panel that bad that the first sub gets introduced as the game is ending. watching for example Lowry carry the ball to half way  with only Evan ahead of him, put the ball into him and then make the support run alone for a return and then turn to go back up the field it was clear he was gassed after putting in a big effort in the game. He was not the only person who was tired at that stage and should have come off earlier. It was bizarre to see the first substitution in the 66 minute and then two more by the 71st. I felt sorry for the two lads left on the line about to come on in the 74th minute and then the ref blows the whistle for full time.

Spiritof86

Quote from: on the hop on April 10, 2023, 11:41:55 AM
Really poor crowd there yesterday, wonder what the numbers were like ? The match was at the level where both teams are currently at, we had the better forwards and got over the line eventually. We seemed to have abandoned the heavy defensive system we operated in some of the league games, I still don't understand how Timmons is being asked at times to cover the sweeper role, he is one of our greatest servants but hasn't the pace to do the covering required. We still were defensive at times and played this modern counterattack system which most teams are using to varying degrees of success. Whether we have the blinding pace to allow us go further in the other competition remains to be seen.  If Wexford had used the breeze more effectively and shot better the game would have been a lot tighter but in the second half we were far more economical with our shots especially mark Barry and Evan. We have loads of issues to sort out especially the kickouts which were a mess and lead to numerous scores and we still can't stop conceding goals.

One gripe though is the substitutions or the lack of any meaningful substitutions. Is the panel that bad that the first sub gets introduced as the game is ending. watching for example Lowry carry the ball to half way  with only Evan ahead of him, put the ball into him and then make the support run alone for a return and then turn to go back up the field it was clear he was gassed after putting in a big effort in the game. He was not the only person who was tired at that stage and should have come off earlier. It was bizarre to see the first substitution in the 66 minute and then two more by the 71st. I felt sorry for the two lads left on the line about to come on in the 74th minute and then the ref blows the whistle for full time.

Accurate summary of yesterdays proceedings.
Abysmal crowd there yesterday. 50/50 Laois Wexford I'd say .

All the above points have been mentioned throughout the year . The lack of substitutes suggests a lack a trust of what we offer from the bench .

Can't blame the lads commitment and endeavour but it's very clear we are very weak in certain positions. A great servant to the county but not sure how Lillis lasted 70 mins on the pitch yesterday .
Our goalkeeping position is hugely worrying. We have been getting carved open so easy against division 4 opposition all year .
The only other forward who's going to challenge for an introduction is Murphy who is recovering from injury . In the modern inter county game you need 5 inter county replacements . We don't currently have that between numbers and a lack of quality .
Thought Kirwan done well from Emo and Larkin and Swayne are the future of this team .
If we keep Dublin within 15 points it'll be some achievement.

Unlaoised

I'm not sure why but for some reason I think the Dubs might be in for a fright
LAOIS ABÚ

blueandwhite1

Quote from: Unlaoised on April 13, 2023, 10:22:00 PM

I admire your optimism. Only a couple of weeks since we were fully outclassed by both Wicklow and Leitrim.

redsetanta

Dublin haven't beaten us in championship in Portlaoise in over a 100 years.

The pubs will enjoy the day anyhow!
The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. VinceLombardi

SpeculativeEffort

I got a bad dose of this before the last Leinster final vs Dublin.

At first I was thinking completely logically and knew that anything less than a 15 point defeat was progress.

Then as the days passed and I thought of the crowds going up, the train, the open space in Croker with good forwards and I started daydreaming of the Dubs getting a man put off,of Cluxton dropping a clanger or 2, catching Dublin out on a short kickout, Dublin being complacent, the moment when Laois Laois Laois lets you know others are starting to believe, a big row that was going to unsettle the Dubs or a cagey lowscoring game with a Seamus Darby moment for the ages at the end.

By the time the match rolled around I was expecting something. A performance. The pints after. The sheer bliss of beating the Dubs.

I know. I know.

I got carried away.

But shur isn't that what it's all about.

We're all allowed to dream.

;)

Joeythelips

I'm not sure why you think that either, hope I'm wrong but this could get really ugly for Laois.

SCFC

Quote from: SpeculativeEffort on April 15, 2023, 08:43:20 PM

At first I was thinking completely logically and knew that anything less than a 15 point defeat was progress.

Then as the days passed and I thought of the crowds going up, the train, the open space in Croker with good forwards and I started daydreaming of the Dubs getting a man put off,of Cluxton dropping a clanger or 2, catching Dublin out on a short kickout, Dublin being complacent, the moment when Laois Laois Laois lets you know others are starting to believe, a big row that was going to unsettle the Dubs or a cagey lowscoring game with a Seamus Darby moment for the ages at the end.

By the time the match rolled around I was expecting something. A performance. The pints after. The sheer bliss of beating the Dubs.

I know. I know.

I got carried away.

;)

Sounds exactly like me! I was fully convinced that day by the time I hit Croker that it was 15 v 15 and anything can happen on a given day!

Spiritof86

Quote from: SCFC on April 17, 2023, 10:27:18 AM

I know. I know.

I got carried away.

;)

Sounds exactly like me! I was fully convinced that day by the time I hit Croker that it was 15 v 15 and anything can happen on a given day!

That Laois team that day had won all of there league matches and 3 championship matches before that Leinster Final . We were allowed to be optimistic that day . We were a properly organised outfit.
This however is a lot different.

Unlaoised

Colm Parkinson told RTÉ Sport's Eithne O'Brien that, "I think we're a better footballing team.

"Dublin are hyped up by the media. We knew coming up here that if we rattled them, that they'd be over-confident, that we'd be able to get a run on them. That's the way it's going.

"So hopefully in the second-half we'll be able to drive it home, and I can't see us losing from this point, to be honest with you."

Ahhh Wolly at half time in 2003

How right he was

Rem in 2015 I think we were 2 points up at the break I remember been at it and there was nobody from laous there .
Donie Ross Strong and Finn all kicked wonder points into the hill .

Good Laois team on the day Brody made his debut

LAOIS ABÚ

Joeythelips

Quote from: Spiritof86 on April 17, 2023, 11:32:56 AM
Quote from: SCFC on April 17, 2023, 10:27:18 AM

I know. I know.

I got carried away.

;)

That Laois team that day had won all of there league matches and 3 championship matches before that Leinster Final . We were allowed to be optimistic that day . We were a properly organised outfit.
This however is a lot different.

This!!!

We have a team that could not make a league final which involved Sligo v Wicklow, that is our level while the Dubs stuck 4 goals past Derry. I know we may not have world beating players but we should have enough to be beating the likes of Sligo and Wicklow. I just think the management team in place are not up to the standard needed unfortunately, cannot see Laois improving while they are in charge Im afraid.