Possible Cold war developing between US and China

Started by seafoid, May 25, 2020, 11:44:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

joemamas

Quote from: seafoid on May 25, 2020, 05:13:49 PM
Quote from: Rudi on May 25, 2020, 04:37:58 PM
Quote from: RadioGAAGAA on May 25, 2020, 04:19:16 PM
Quote from: Rudi on May 25, 2020, 02:24:48 PM
Like him or loathe him, in the United States version of a democracy he was elected by people primarily from States, that were marginalised by the previous Democrat administration. Having being to states like South Dakota, Wisconsin, Nebraska & Tennessee/ Alabama before and after Trumps inauguration,got to say these states are doing much better. At the end of day people care about jobs and prospects for their kids, chit talk on social media platforms dont mean chit.

Do you think that said states started doing better in 2018 off the election of Trump in 2016?

I do, I'm talking about middle America doing better, places like New Richmond Wi, Huntsville Al etc. Wisconsin unemployment fell from 9.8 to 3.4%. Industry is booming, consequently peoples expectations are better. Don't get me wrong he's a horror show of a man, but his adminstration makes more of an interest in looking after middle America than let say Hilary would.
US unemployment is shockingly high again

Seafoid, I have to say I really enjoyed your honest football analysis, but that statement is pure nonsense.

I live in the US, for the past three decades, in February, the unemployment rate was 3.6%, that is a fact. The running joke was that in prior periods of low employment, you could always find a half decent carpenter or electrician, last year and early this year, you could not find even a shitty one.

The reality is that Trump's tax cuts and less regulation , helped big time, more money was circulating, trickle down effect, consumer sentiment was strong=consumer spending which accounts for 70% of US GDP, was very strong. The Covid-19 pandemic took care of that, big time. Consumer demand went to Zero almost overnight.

To digress a little, how come the Irish Govt are getting away with a one size fits all rules and regulation.
Take for example Bars, how come the same rules apply to pubs in Dublin that have a capacity of 300-400, with a pub in rural Galway or Mayo that have a capacity of 50, (btw the usual attendance on the latter would be more like 15-20) during the week. Apparently the rules for opening are also the same for both areas, draconian to say the least.

GetOverTheBar

I think the states and China have been in a shadow war for awhile now. Isn't the Chinese economy due to overtake the American sometime this decade? How coronavirus impacts that I'm not sure, id guess the Chinese will bounce back much like in 2008 due to their ability to mass produce for the, ahem, good of the state.

Maybe much will depend on the American political situation come election time, not too sure what the story will be but it's very rare for a US President to do one term....it's actually much like Boris over in England. Does Trump have a credible rival? The thing about Trump is, he might not be good for the world, but when this all starts to turn, he'll be good for the US (economy).

Rossfan

Joemamas you'll find that the virus is as transmittable in Galway or Mayo as it is in Temple Bar.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

RadioGAAGAA

Do you think that said states started doing better in 2018 off the election of Trump in 2016?

I do, I'm talking about middle America doing better, places like New Richmond Wi, Huntsville Al etc. Wisconsin unemployment fell from 9.8 to 3.4%. Industry is booming, consequently peoples expectations are better. Don't get me wrong he's a horror show of a man, but his adminstration makes more of an interest in looking after middle America than let say Hilary would.

Right.

Now what do you think the upward inertia of a $20T/year economy is?

Do you actually think its measured in months or years?
i usse an speelchekor

omochain

Like him or loathe him, in the United States version of a democracy he was elected by people primarily from States, that were marginalised by the previous Democrat administration. Having being to states like South Dakota, Wisconsin, Nebraska & Tennessee/ Alabama before and after Trumps inauguration,got to say these states are doing much better. At the end of day people care about jobs and prospects for their kids, chit talk on social media platforms dont mean chit.

Are you sure about those unemployment statistics...? Try these ... you will find they tell a different tale. https://data.bls.gov/timeseries/LASST550000000000003
They dropped from 9.3 in 2010 to 3.8 before Trump was elected and were on the way up again in Jan after the sugar high from the tax cuts...

seafoid

"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Rudi

Quote from: omochain on May 25, 2020, 07:31:06 PM

Are you sure about those unemployment statistics...? Try these ... you will find they tell a different tale. https://data.bls.gov/timeseries/LASST550000000000003
They dropped from 9.3 in 2010 to 3.8 before Trump was elected and were on the way up again in Jan after the sugar high from the tax cuts...

It's gone from an historic low of 3.1 % in early March to 14 1 % at end of April.

Rudi

Quote from: RadioGAAGAA on May 25, 2020, 06:54:44 PM

Right.

Years to answer your specific question, not related to the point I was making.

omochain

Quote from: Rudi on May 25, 2020, 09:37:30 PM
Quote from: omochain on May 25, 2020, 07:31:06 PM

It's gone from an historic low of 3.1 % in early March to 14 1 % at end of April.

And your point is?
BTW 3.1% is not the historic low.
The economy is moving along the same trend that the Obama administration put it on after the the 2008 crash. There is no appreciable difference in the economic gains to the folks you speak of ... it's just their guys are in power now and claiming that the economy is great again. They just feel better about it because President Trump and the Republicans are telling them so. When the Obama administration was producing similar gains .. their mantra was woe is us; the economy is bad and tea party supped it up.

RadioGAAGAA

Quote from: Rudi on May 25, 2020, 09:39:59 PM
Quote from: RadioGAAGAA on May 25, 2020, 06:54:44 PM

Right.

Years to answer your specific question, not related to the point I was making.

So you think Trump, who arrived into the White House Jan 2017 and first got policies into play middle of 2017 had the results of that bearing fruit in 2018?

As to trying to dismiss it off the point you were making, no, you are completely off base. It is very central to the misguided point you are trying to make.
i usse an speelchekor

GetOverTheBar

Recent developments in HK will accelerate a bit more of a public relations strain.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-china-52829176