Lockdown

Started by Square Ball, May 23, 2020, 11:51:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Has lockdown run it course and time to open things up?

Yes
19 (41.3%)
No
27 (58.7%)

Total Members Voted: 46

Voting closed: May 25, 2020, 11:51:58 AM

imtommygunn

Quote from: balladmaker on May 23, 2020, 03:51:47 PM
How is everyone finding their financial situation since lockdown?

Personally, with what appears to be a drastic reduction in outgoings, and with travel savings with working from home (consider myself very fortunate to be able to work from home), I'm seeing a surplus remaining at end of each month.  To the point where I'm totally perplexed as to what that surplus was previously being spent on!  Yes, that concerns me somewhat.

Same here.

BennyCake

The virus has apparently brought forward online shopping by 5 years. Not a healthy situation for the already crippled town centres and local shops

dublin7

I think the government are taking the right approach by easing the lockdown, but doing it in stages. We seem to be getting a handle on it an the no of new cases each day seems to be falling on a consistent levels from what they were originally.

For me a full removal of restrictions could lead to another surge in cases and undo all the work done to date. Better to be too severe on the public dealing with this than not severe enough

Milltown Row2

Next door neighbour has 5 kids ( I think, lost count) she has at a bare minimum, 3 deliveries a day, shopping comes delivered also, why would she go back to 'normal'?

As for money I'm earning less but have managed to stay in the black, not in overdraft, have spent serious money in the garden this month also.

Think when I get back to work I'll be more involved in the home finances! I don't know where the money goes!!

I've also saved on fuel and parking, still using the fuel from 9 weeks ago, have 75 miles left in the tank.

Anyone avail of the mortgage holiday? I didn't and still up!

No doubt the Covid tax will appear soon.

Have to laugh at the shop local and blah blah shite, most of them have upped their prices and no deals available. When this is over and supermarkets have a price war, everyone will be back, I have shopped in a supermarket other than the town Lidil which kept their prices as normal.
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

From the Bunker

Our Neighbours have been on the Gravy train for the last 2 plus months. A teacher on full pay, a Public servant getting full pay and working at home (says he has 2/3 hours work a day), and three students on the €350.  That's a lot of money to be paying people to do nothing.

Meanwhile plebs like myself have to get up in the morning a scrounge for a living, a will be hit hard with taxes to support my Neighbours mini holiday!

Milltown Row2

Quote from: From the Bunker on May 23, 2020, 07:14:53 PM
Our Neighbours have been on the Gravy train for the last 2 plus months. A teacher on full pay, a Public servant getting full pay and working at home (says he has 2/3 hours work a day), and three students on the €350.  That's a lot of money to be paying people to do nothing.

Meanwhile plebs like myself have to get up in the morning a scrounge for a living, a will be hit hard with taxes to support my Neighbours mini holiday!

It's just unfortunate for some during this, some jobs run as normal some close, many getting the 80% and Some struggling to make a living, it's not fair
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

From the Bunker

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on May 23, 2020, 07:31:03 PM

It's just unfortunate for some during this, some jobs run as normal some close, many getting the 80% and Some struggling to make a living, it's not fair

To be fair they have a Mortgage, food bills and need their security. They have said that the rest has been great and the lack of day to day stresses are welcome. I suppose the good weather has been a bonus also.  Must be great to know you are financially sound in all this, that you have a job to go back to and that you are not running up debts week in week out!

It's only in theory that the line ''We are in this together'' exists!

RedHand88

Quote from: imtommygunn on May 23, 2020, 04:43:49 PM
Quote from: balladmaker on May 23, 2020, 03:51:47 PM
How is everyone finding their financial situation since lockdown?

Personally, with what appears to be a drastic reduction in outgoings, and with travel savings with working from home (consider myself very fortunate to be able to work from home), I'm seeing a surplus remaining at end of each month.  To the point where I'm totally perplexed as to what that surplus was previously being spent on!  Yes, that concerns me somewhat.

Same here.

And me.

I think this whole episode is going to make people alot more financially astute. Getting into massive debt for a car, house etc that you cant afford will hopefully be a thing of the past.

sid waddell

Quote from: dublin7 on May 23, 2020, 06:34:24 PM
I think the government are taking the right approach by easing the lockdown, but doing it in stages. We seem to be getting a handle on it an the no of new cases each day seems to be falling on a consistent levels from what they were originally.

For me a full removal of restrictions could lead to another surge in cases and undo all the work done to date. Better to be too severe on the public dealing with this than not severe enough
I agree with this. Gradual baby steps are very much the right way to go, both in public health terms and in psychological terms because it reinforces how tenuous and potentially reversible any return to quasi-normality is. It reinforces the point that we are dealing with a monster of a mass killer for which we currently have no treatment.

armaghniac

Quote from: BennyCake on May 23, 2020, 04:43:50 PM
The virus has apparently brought forward online shopping by 5 years. Not a healthy situation for the already crippled town centres and local shops

Some shops don't deserve your business. I checked the opening hours of one shop which was open, they had reduced their hours but couldn't be arsed putting the revised hours on their website so you have to go up and read a bit of paper on the door to see that they are closed.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Rudi

Got to say that would piss me off too. Plenty of students who would have earned anything from 50 to 200 a week, claiming the 350. Should never have been 350 in the first place. The missus and I have not stopped working either while most of our neighbours are teachers and other simple servants that can work from home. I suppose it is what it is lucky to have 2 jobs.

GetOverTheBar

The one thing lockdown has really driven home is the lack of postive information,especially from 'officials'.

Where has been the calls to improve your immune system, your personal health, your diet, your drinking habits, your smoking habits....your sugar intake....etc etc.

With the benefit of hindsight obviously, it's actually insane the lockdown was implemented without any kind of reference to the above. Lockdown seems to have been a one size fits all approach, then you see in the states they are having beach parties on the regular, in England the beaches packed.....Everyone thinks they have the right answer I suppose,

From the Bunker

Quote from: GetOverTheBar on May 24, 2020, 01:31:10 PM
The one thing lockdown has really driven home is the lack of postive information,especially from 'officials'.

Where has been the calls to improve your immune system, your personal health, your diet, your drinking habits, your smoking habits....your sugar intake....etc etc.

With the benefit of hindsight obviously, it's actually insane the lockdown was implemented without any kind of reference to the above. Lockdown seems to have been a one size fits all approach, then you see in the states they are having beach parties on the regular, in England the beaches packed.....Everyone thinks they have the right answer I suppose,

Yes! Good post! 50% of coping with this pandemic is having your body fit to deal with it.  Eating, Resting and exercising properly. As well as being ready for the threat of getting the virus, your mental health will be be better also.

An Watcher

If I hear the term we're all in the same boat again, I'll go bananas. How is a person with three kids under five in the same boat as someone with no kids and they're both in the same job. How is the person with elderly relatives in the same boat as someone with none. Joke as some people are slaughtered and others are not

Mikhail Prokhorov

we do all have the same problems, it's how we deal with them that's different  ;)