Lockdown

Started by Square Ball, May 23, 2020, 11:51:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Has lockdown run it course and time to open things up?

Yes
19 (41.3%)
No
27 (58.7%)

Total Members Voted: 46

Voting closed: May 25, 2020, 11:51:58 AM

Square Ball

Given the lively debate on this, may as well have a poll

Was going to put various options, but too many, it's either or.
Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid

BennyCake

The situation is far too complex for a yes or no answer.

Square Ball

I know, had 6 different ones and gave up, the more I though the more complex it became.

laoislad

When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

Square Ball

Quote from: laoislad on May 23, 2020, 12:14:48 PM
Where?
I diddnt put them up,
No, keep going and follow the guidelines.
No, keep going but lessen the period between each phase.
Yes, but shield the vulnerable and care homes.
Yes, but still adhere to social distancing.
Thats just four, a yes or no seemed the easiest.

armaghniac

The poll is too simplistic. Open what up? Under what conditions?
Of course, they need to end the lockdown, but they need a variety of detailed measures instead. As the meat factories showed you cannot just rely on people to do the right thing themselves.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

BennyCake

Seen and heard numerous things going on during lockdown, people not doing the right things, pissing about putting others at risk.

Since the easing up, some people have really freaked out, as they clearly think the virus has gone.

You just can't trust people go do the right thing.

From the Bunker

Quote from: BennyCake on May 23, 2020, 12:48:37 PM
Seen and heard numerous things going on during lockdown, people not doing the right things, pissing about putting others at risk.

Since the easing up, some people have really freaked out, as they clearly think the virus has gone.

You just can't trust people go do the right thing.

People are not Robots! The gradual infection of people and herd immunity is the only way. Keeping healthy people hidden away only leaves them susceptible to this in the winter when our immune system is weaker. 

The initial point of the Lockdown was sold as our health system not to be overwhelmed with this pandemic, not to give up living as human beings for half a decade!

Milltown Row2

I need to finish the garden first.

Nearly there, just the edges around the new decking to finish, some coloured stones and bitta paving,  but too windy to assemble the summerhouse! So will finish off tidying the front bedroom! Proper mess!

Then back to work  ;D
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

laoislad

Quote from: Square Ball on May 23, 2020, 12:31:28 PM
Where?
I diddnt put them up,
I mean North or South..
I'm already back to work, restrictions are already starting to be eased here.
The M50 was far busier this week than in previous weeks so plenty of people back to work. Hardware shops/ garden centres all open this week also
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

Square Ball

Quote from: laoislad on May 23, 2020, 02:20:49 PM
Quote from: Square Ball on May 23, 2020, 12:31:28 PM
Where?
I diddnt put them up,
I mean North or South..
I'm already back to work, restrictions are already starting to be eased here.
The M50 was far busier this week than in previous weeks so plenty of people back to work. Hardware shops/ garden centres all open this week also
Oops, everywhere.

skeog

From the Bunker i agree its like living in an Open Prison.If its half a decade to lockdown ends how would we survive that mentally.

Smurfy123

Lockdown was put in place to slow the spread and save the NHS
The spread has slowed more than what was expected and the NHS with all due respect has not been put under much pressure and hospitals are affectively empty.
I think the general public now know that social distancing is here to stay and that will affectively keep the virus at harms way whilst also implementing track and trace
Things need to start opening at a quicker pace.

balladmaker

How is everyone finding their financial situation since lockdown?

Personally, with what appears to be a drastic reduction in outgoings, and with travel savings with working from home (consider myself very fortunate to be able to work from home), I'm seeing a surplus remaining at end of each month.  To the point where I'm totally perplexed as to what that surplus was previously being spent on!  Yes, that concerns me somewhat. 

Substandard

I'd imagine some people are saving money with outgoings down and no pubs/ clubs/ entertainment costs for kids, etc, but you'd have to worry for small businesses.
One thing that always bugged me was the supermarkets selling booze and the negative impact it would have on pubs, no more than how they wiped out an awful lot of small grocery shops and others.
I was talking to a neighbour who was saying that he has two daughters have been shopping online flat out.  That's another thing that will hurt retailers.  I know it's been happening ongoing for years, but this is going to tip the balance much more.