Medical Status of Boardmembers

Started by Ball Hopper, December 19, 2019, 03:25:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rosnarun

Thanks for all the updates BH. I hope they are helping you too and educating the rest of  us though many have been thought the same battle with loved ones.
as for Mr2 ive been there all you can do is support your father and try not look too far ahead , and Trust  medics to  take control of the disease
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

Ball Hopper

Part 2 finished on 27 May as did lighter chemo treatment.  It went really quickly and was easy enough on me for the most part. 

All blood tests that are important are back above the normal person's low threshold which was excellent news.  Glucose levels better as well, but still slightly above normal high levels.

Putting on a bit of weight these weeks and even got to enjoy a few glasses of wine and cider as well as breaking in a new grill over Father's Day weekend.

Diarrhea/dehydration/extreme fatigue faded completely after about a week with continued prescription meds on diminishing doses.  Everything back to normal now, although an odd day mightn't be as good as others as I continue "cooling down" after radiation.

As I finished the meds, the peripheral neuropathy returned...initially numbness and tingling in all 10 fingers and both feet tingly a few days later.  I'm inclined to be unaware of lighter objects in my hands...especially if focused on a task using the other hand...resulting in some dropped objects.  As I get closer to a month after the end of Part 2, I think the numbness is disappearing a bit, leading to the tingly feeling being more pronounced.  I'm told that significant improvement usually occurs within 4-6 weeks of onset, with it not disappearing completely for up to a year in some cases!

Next up is Part 3 – Surgery.  To prepare for this I'll have MRI and CT scans in the second week of July.  The surgery team will then plan for an early to mid-August operating date (my earlier notes were off by a month or so).  There will be meetings with the surgeon in mid-July when I'll have the opportunity to get the plan and raise all my questions and concerns that, once addressed, will allow me to face the surgery in as good a position as possible. 

Overall, I'm feeling great (outside of the fingers issue) and enjoying the return of sports on TV.  The local library has reopened so my DVD rental spree has returned as well.

Will update again in mid-July when Part 3 plans will be a lot firmer. 

Thanks again for all the notes and words of encouragement.

Taylor

BennyCake

Fair play, BH.

Your positivity has been great throughout your journey. Keep it up.

PS. I didn't know libraries were back opened?

Rois

Brilliant BallHopper, glad to hear it is all going as well as it can do. 

Denn Forever

A Beacon of reslience as always.  Always good to read to keep you grounded.
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

J70

Dire Ear

macdanger2

Great stuff BH, continued good luck with it all

omochain

Ballhopper, Delighted to hear that all is moving forward positively. Good luck with the coming weeks and your upcoming surgery.

Oraisteach

Ball Hopper

Great News...the MRI and CT scans in the second week of July produced outstanding results! 

The sentences that made the best reading were:

"Patient's known primary malignancy is not measurable on the current examination" (from CT report)

and

"Near complete treatment response" (from the MRI report). 

All that was picked up was scarring and slight swelling that result from the radiation...and nothing else.

We will still proceed with surgery (scheduled for 5 August) to clear out the areas of concern of any deeper rogue cells plus some lymph nodes.  I will have an ileostomy bag for 2 months after the surgery (till early October).

Weight up 8 pounds/3+ kg from the end of radiation to right where I need it to be.  Glucose levels continuing to drop as well.

I will update again the week before surgery.

As you can imagine, I'm delighted with the scan results that resulted from an obviously excellent treatment plan.  Focus now turns to preparing for a much less concerning surgery in just over three weeks' time.

Thanks again for all the notes and words of encouragement.

Tony Baloney

That's class BH. Fantastic news!

Jeepers Creepers

BennyCake