Medical Status of Boardmembers

Started by Ball Hopper, December 19, 2019, 03:25:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

illdecide

Firstly Ball Hopper I wish you all the best for 2020 and fingers crossed you make a full recovery, my problem now sounds so petty in comparison to what is ahead of you.

I'm for a full hip replacement at the end of Jan (5-6 weeks time)...at 46 i'm devastated as i'm in reasonable shape for my age and generally fit & well so you can imagine how i felt being told that when all i thought i had was a bad groin injury. Four years of groin/hip flexor pain from the moment i throw my leg out of bed but hopefully this sorts it out.
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

Never beat the deeler

Good on you BH - a very positive way of meeting it head on. Best of luck with it.

In not nearly as serious news.....

Age 35. Currently in a moon boot.
Been playing 5-a-side soccer 3 times a week with different levels of teams.
Rolled my ankle 7 weeks ago and tore 4 ligaments. 4 weeks on crutches and 3 weeks in the boot, now physio has said I can start to phase out the boot.
Hope to be running by Feb with a 4k or 8k fun run in March the goal.

Third relatively serious injury in 3 years (torn calf x 2 leading to DVT both times) so the wife is pressing the retirement angle.

Hasta la victoria siempre

red hander

The Gs Man

Best of luck Ball Hopper.

I love how you've linked your treatment schedule to the football season. 

Shows how quickly you'll be through it in the grand scheme of things.

Keep er lit.
Keep 'er lit

johnnycool

All the best Ball Hopper, keep up on the positivity, that can only but help in the healing process.

As a matter of interest, what were the tell tale signs of changes in "body performance" that led you to go to the Doctor?

If that's too personal then don't feel obliged to answer.

I need to educate myself on a lot of these things.

J70

Best of luck Ball Hopper. Sounds like you've a good medical team and a well laid-out plan to beat it.

Tyrdub

trailer

Dinny Breen

Best of luck Ball Hopper. Great to see a plan in place.

Age 46

Physically eye sight is deteriorating, have torn meniscus in both knees and a tear in a tendon my left shoulder, have suffered 3 prolapsed discs in my back. My orthopaedic surgeon says I have the of body 40 odd year old man who has played competitive sport for over 30 years and we are very keen to avoid surgery. Interesting my surgeon is Gary O'Toole, the ex-swimmer, sports mad and a great fella to talk about sport.

4 years ago after my mother's passing I developed Psoriasis, mild enough on body and will have it forever now, I treat it with a steroid cream. My brother also developed an autoimmune disease at the same time, in his case Alopecia, he was a handsome fecker but now as bald as an egg. Other than some fatty deposits on my liver and I am pretty good.

I do pilates when I can, and casual gym user, 5/6 times a month but regularly walk 5k four or five times a week.  Don't smoke and apart from the odd social gathering don't drink and never at home...Both grandfathers lived into their 90s and my Dad is 82 next year so nothing in my family history to plan for...
#newbridgeornowhere

BennyHarp

Good man Ball Hopper - great to read your positive approach to tackling your illness! I agree with all the comments about early checking. Best wishes with your recovery!
That was never a square ball!!

shark

Quote from: Dinny Breen on December 20, 2019, 11:55:55 AM
Best of luck Ball Hopper. Great to see a plan in place.

Age 46

Physically eye sight is deteriorating, have torn meniscus in both knees and a tear in a tendon my left shoulder, have suffered 3 prolapsed discs in my back. My orthopaedic surgeon says I have the of body 40 odd year old man who has played competitive sport for over 30 years and we are very keen to avoid surgery. Interesting my surgeon is Gary O'Toole, the ex-swimmer, sports mad and a great fella to talk about sport.

4 years ago after my mother's passing I developed Psoriasis, mild enough on body and will have it forever now, I treat it with a steroid cream. My brother also developed an autoimmune disease at the same time, in his case Alopecia, he was a handsome fecker but now as bald as an egg. Other than some fatty deposits on my liver and I am pretty good.

I do pilates when I can, and casual gym user, 5/6 times a month but regularly walk 5k four or five times a week.  Don't smoke and apart from the odd social gathering don't drink and never at home...Both grandfathers lived into their 90s and my Dad is 82 next year so nothing in my family history to plan for...

Gary O'Toole operated on my knee in 2013. Has been perfect since.

ONeill

44. Bald eagle since 24. Last haircut in 1999 in Birmingham. Barber was embarrassed taking the money. Sight poor from age of 15. Lenses ever since. After nearly 30 years, was told last month that sight getting better and have them reduced. Optician says not Benjamin Button ye dick. Apart from broken foot from 5-a-side in 2016 which still throbs like fook in the winter, I've been fortunate. Terrible diet and love Peroni. And whiskey. Haven't had a sober weekend for a decade at least. Like peanuts and Dolly Parton. Run a few times a week to tick the ticker over. Starting to moan when I get up, slowly. Slightly more forgetful. Tired earlier at night. Sleep every day from 4-5 if possible.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

screenexile

38 and nothing major except the knees.

Have had 3 ACL operations on both legs. The first one was and is absolutely perfect since for the last 12 years. The other leg was never able to get straight and I ended up doing it again playing an over 35 competition a couple of years ago. Got the operation in Feb and the leg doesn't feel right very tight and unstable although my lack of keeping up with rehab hasn't helped things.

Diet is absolutely horrific although I wouldn't say I'm overweight but couldn't be healthy inside. Don't drink in the house but would have a good few pints 3 times a month or so.

With the knee I find it very difficult to exercise. If I was playing 5 a side/basketball it would be no problem nipping out for an hour 3 times a week but I just can't get motivated to go to the gym as I've tried it and hated it. Running not really an option as it's too sore on the knee. Have done a bit of cycling/spinning but hate it and the swimming pool is too far away really to make that work.  Any suggestions for exercise apart from everything that is shite?

Best of luck BH hope things work out for you you seem positive anyway and that's a good start!

whitey

Closer to 50 than 40

Was on antibiotics-Clindomycin-earlier this year and ended up with fvckin C Diff, which can be fatal for the elderly and those already suffering from bad health

Anyway had to give up the sauce for a month,  and now 10 months later haven't touched a drop and probably never will. While not a continuous heavy drinker, I was a big one for binge drinking. My job could have me out every night if the week and many of my clients are big drinkers. I also have a generous expense account provides by my company.

Am religious about the gym and do not ever eat junk food or smoke

I never miss a doctors Appt and get my bloodwork done twice per year. Low good cholesterol is inherited from my mothers aide so I have to work very hard to keep within the acceptable ranges. Take cod liver oil and eat oatmeal consistently and they both help

Tony Baloney

Quote from: johnnycool on December 20, 2019, 09:07:44 AM
All the best Ball Hopper, keep up on the positivity, that can only but help in the healing process.

As a matter of interest, what were the tell tale signs of changes in "body performance" that led you to go to the Doctor?

If that's too personal then don't feel obliged to answer.

I need to educate myself on a lot of these things.
It's a good question. I get annoyed when cancer related deaths of people in the public eye are euphemistically referred to as "after a short/long illness". I get that their family may want privacy, but I think these are also a perfect opportunity to raise awareness, especially around signs and symptoms that people should be checking out.