Medical Status of Boardmembers

Started by Ball Hopper, December 19, 2019, 03:25:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ball Hopper

This i not for the Depression thread...fair play to all contributing and giving good tips/advice.

Not for the alcohol thread either, although it might have played a minor part in my current status.  This Christmas will be my first alcohol-free one since 1977, as best I can figure.

Current status is I had my first chemotherapy session today (18 December) for colo-rectal cancer - two separate unrelated growths at either end of the colon.  Chemo session every two weeks starting again in early January (nothing scheduled Christmas or New Year's week as they want to focus on patients on their final sessions...also complicated by the fact that one of my drugs is administered via pump that I wear home over three days (Mon-Weds, Tues-Thurs or Wed-Fri ) which along with other patients in the same boat causes scheduling nightmares.  Taking the Wednesday out leaves only Tues-Thurs for everyone)

Eight chemo treatments in total by the end of March (so I'll miss the league), April off to recover somewhat (for club season), then 5 weeks of a lighter chemo/radiation combo (25 days in all) on a daily basis (Mon-Fri)...followed by a month or two to try to get over that (coincides with Super 8's) before surgery to whip whatever is left out of me...a week stay in hospital so proper planning will see me home every weekend.  All treatment over by the All-Ireland Final. 

Medical team is confident we can be successful in 2020...and constant screening thereafter to catch any recurrence as early as possible.  I'll have an advantage in that I work from home and won't be exposed to infection on trains, buses, or a workplace.  The adjustments to prevent side effects (things like very detailed oral hygiene to prevent mouth sores) are in full swing for the last few days and I'm confident of an easier (not necessarily easy) passage back to full health.

I'm ready to do whatever it takes to win this one and have a great support network in family as well as the medical arenas.

Lads, Early screening is vital...colonoscopy by age 50, especially if in family and even earlier if immediate family history. 

And report any changes in "body performance" things immediately to your doctor.

Will update every so often as I move down the road of treatment.

cadhlancian

Good man yourself ! Sounds like you well on your way to winning this one . Keeper lit 🔥
I wish you well 👍🏻

grounded

Hope all goes well for your treatment and have a great Christmas

Milltown Row2

Jeezus!

All the best with the treatment and recovery. I'm desperate for check ups, haven't been to doctors in over 25 years, and not registered even with a local surgery. But I plan to make next year my time to get sorted out with all things medical.

I work in a medical capacity and advise people everyday to do something about their hearing and never do anything about my own healthcare!

48 in two weeks so was wondering about the Randox health check, is it worth it?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Mikhailov

Ball hopper, all the best for 2020. You sound like a strong character and a positive one at that which is 100% needed to fight any form of the disease. All the best and I will look out for your updates.

Rossfan

Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Aristo 60

Good luck for the long road Mr Hopper.

I'm sitting here thinking I'm lucky to have my full health, but who ever knows.

40 years done - eyes are starting to go a bit but other than that all seems good. Touch wood.

Taylor

five points

Good luck Ball Hopper and thanks for posting this. I will on your advice be having a colonoscopy in 2020.

Happy Christmas.

magpie seanie

Sorry to hear about the challenges you face but heartened by your positivity. I wish you all the best.

joemamas

Good luck with the treatment.
I hope you have a full recovery.

Dire Ear

Good luck to you Mr Hopper!  Like your attitude,  hope all goes to plan.  Positivity is supposed to be benefical in any health process.
A good thread,  will add later but will be glad to see the end of 2019 myself.

tc_manchester

Aged 53 myself. In Feb had the hiccups for a week so got the full checkup done. Thankfully all was well but when I was in for the colonoscopy I was chatting to fellow in the next bed who told me that he had it done every 3 years since his father died with bowel cancer. I'd advise anybody who hits 50 to get a full MOT done.

bannside

This has the potential to be a fantastic thread, one where members can solace and advice along with a dollop of humour and craic too. I think it will stand the test of time....congrats Ball Hopper and the best of luck with your upcoming challenge.