Android Boxes

Started by snoopdog, July 30, 2015, 09:49:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Smokin Joe

Yeah, I installed The Beast a week ago and it's been great and stable.

I've no idea if it overwrites your own repos as I haven't gone back to my old boring build.

SportsDevil is included

JohnDenver

Quote from: laoislad on October 21, 2015, 12:48:45 PM
That does look very cool indeed, I be interested to hear how well it works.
Does it completly wipe the Kodi build you have already?
I've put a lot of time adding repos to my android box and I'd hate to lose them all if that build wasn't stable.
Does it have sportsdevil?
I suppose I could install it on my phone first to check.

LL - do you regularly clear data and clear cache in settings/apps/kodi to keep things working fresh?  and if so, do your repositories remain after this?

lenny

Quote from: JohnDenver on October 21, 2015, 02:04:12 PM
I've put a lot of time adding repos to my android box and I'd hate to lose them all if that build wasn't stable.

LL - do you regularly clear data and clear cache in settings/apps/kodi to keep things working fresh?  and if so, do your repositories remain after this?

Would I be able to get kodi or xbmc on an android streaming stick and would I be able to watch live sports on that? I have a wall mounted tv and don't have the space for a box but a usb stick would be suitable if I thought I could get live sport.

blewuporstuffed

so which orf these android boxes would anyone recommend getting?
I am thinking of ordering one from amazon, but unsure what hardware to go for.
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

NAG1

Quote from: blewuporstuffed on October 21, 2015, 02:27:50 PM

+1

laoislad

Don't clear data!! That will do exactly what it says on the tin!
Yeah I  clear the cache sometimes.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

laoislad

Quote from: NAG1 on October 21, 2015, 02:48:23 PM
Quote from: blewuporstuffed on October 21, 2015, 02:27:50 PM

+1
This is the one I have and I can't fault it at all,excellent piece of kit for the price.
http://m.ebay.ie/itm/MX-III-MX3-mxiii-XBMC-Kodi-QUAD-CORE-ANDROID-SMART-TV-BOX-4-4-Android-4K-S802-/321700030698?nav=SEARCH

Dag Dog

Are these things hard to use and configure?
I was looking at one like this for sale: http://www.adverts.ie/media-players/m8s-android-tv-box/9080504
If I bought it, what next? Does it come with all the software I need installed?
Are the channels like Sky Movies and Sports a bit like watching a live stream on the internet?
Can Sky scramble their signal and make these boxes useless?

Sorry for the novice questions.

laoislad

Quote from: Dag Dog on October 21, 2015, 04:42:53 PM
I was looking at one like this for sale: http://www.adverts.ie/media-players/m8s-android-tv-box/9080504
Are the channels like Sky Movies and Sports a bit like watching a live stream on the internet?

That one in your link comes fully loaded but I prefer to wipe it clean and load my own stuff, all pretty easy and plenty of YouTube videos to help.
Streams and links come and go an some are better than others, the trick is to have a few sources to pick from so if one does go down you will have another to watch.
The quality ranges from poor unwatchable streams to HD quality and everything in between. Its all about knowing where to look for the right stream and once again Google/YouTube is your friend.
It sounds complicated but it really isn't once you have it set up.

That link Smoking Joe posted looks like it has everything anyone would want from an android box, install that and you should be good to go or if you buy that one then just play around with it for a bit until you get used to it and learn how to install stuff yourself.

Dag Dog

Quote from: laoislad on October 21, 2015, 04:59:02 PM
Quote from: Dag Dog on October 21, 2015, 04:42:53 PM

That one in your link comes fully loaded but I prefer to wipe it clean and load my own stuff, all pretty easy and plenty of YouTube videos to help.
Streams and links come and go an some are better than others, the trick is to have a few sources to pick from so if one does go down you will have another to watch.
The quality ranges from poor unwatchable streams to HD quality and everything in between. Its all about knowing where to look for the right stream and once again Google/YouTube is your friend.
It sounds complicated but it really isn't once you have it set up.

That link Smoking Joe posted looks like it has everything anyone would want from an android box, install that and you should be good to go or if you buy that one then just play around with it for a bit until you get used to it and learn how to install stuff yourself.
Great, thanks.
As a non-geek, all the terminology had me a bit baffled.

heffo

Quote from: Smokin Joe on October 21, 2015, 01:03:23 PM

I've no idea if it overwrites your own repos as I haven't gone back to my old boring build.

SportsDevil is included

I've installed it - very simple and the UI is deadly.

It's only filling 2/3 of my screen though and I'm not finding anything under settings/video or Google to help - did you get the same when you installed it?

lenny

Quote from: laoislad on October 21, 2015, 05:50:42 PM
Quote from: lenny on October 21, 2015, 02:25:31 PM

Would I be able to get kodi or xbmc on an android streaming stick and would I be able to watch live sports on that? I have a wall mounted tv and don't have the space for a box but a usb stick would be suitable if I thought I could get live sport.
By streaming stick do you mean something like chrome cast?
I've never used chrome cast but you can buy an android tv hdmi dongle that will do the exact same thing as the android tv box.

Thanks, will look at that. I was thinking of something like a roku stick but xbmc isn't compatible with it apparently.

laoislad

Just make sure to buy one powerful enough. I have one a few years old that won't run Kodi.

Boycey

Quote from: lenny on October 21, 2015, 07:38:00 PM
Quote from: laoislad on October 21, 2015, 05:50:42 PM
Quote from: lenny on October 21, 2015, 02:25:31 PM

By streaming stick do you mean something like chrome cast?
I've never used chrome cast but you can buy an android tv hdmi dongle that will do the exact same thing as the android tv box.

Thanks, will look at that. I was thinking of something like a roku stick but xbmc isn't compatible with it apparently.

An Amazon Firestick will do ur trick, cost about £25. U load kodi/xbmc onto it and bobs ur uncle.

Smokin Joe

Quote from: heffo on October 21, 2015, 05:42:21 PM
Quote from: Smokin Joe on October 21, 2015, 01:03:23 PM

SportsDevil is included

I've installed it - very simple and the UI is deadly.

It's only filling 2/3 of my screen though and I'm not finding anything under settings/video or Google to help - did you get the same when you installed it?

Sorry, my screen near enough fitted automatically.  I did find a YouTube video showing you how to size the screen for my Firestick, but that's probably not much help to you.