Android Boxes

Started by snoopdog, July 30, 2015, 09:49:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Boycey

Quote from: screenexile on July 31, 2015, 11:37:14 AM
Quote from: Boycey on July 30, 2015, 09:12:17 PM
Quote from: screenexile on July 30, 2015, 10:12:20 AM
Quote from: snoopdog on July 30, 2015, 09:49:46 AM
Hi, Thinking of getting an Android box. Anyone have any experience of these and may be able to point me in the right direction. Do they have all the boxsets? Can you get the premiership on them through streaming etc?
are they better than getting Netflix?
Cheers

They don't have all the boxsets they are just a platform for you to access things like NowTV and Netflix.

You can get BBC iPlayer and 4OD but other than that you're going to have to fork out to watch anything decent! My box isn't Android but does the same job it's a ROKU3 Player and works well!

The whole point of these boxes is that you fork out for nothing??

Sorry!! Obviously I'm not up to speed with this stuff.

Can I get RTE on Kodi??

You can, its been covered on a couple of other threads recently.
Casting from kodi/xmbc or something like that one was called recently  if your interested look through it plenty of decent help on there

screenexile

Class!!

I have a strange setup I have SkyGo on the Android tablet... basic freeview (No RTE) and a few decent Sky Channels through NOW TV.

I had been streaming RTE through Hola on the Laptop but it hasn't worked in a while and this is probably the most Championship matches I've missed in a long time (Not that I've missed much from what I've heard of the games).

Cheers Boycey you're a gent (For a week anyway until I have to get stuck in on the Utd thread again!) :)

Boycey

Quote from: screenexile on July 31, 2015, 12:29:54 PM
Class!!

I have a strange setup I have SkyGo on the Android tablet... basic freeview (No RTE) and a few decent Sky Channels through NOW TV.

I had been streaming RTE through Hola on the Laptop but it hasn't worked in a while and this is probably the most Championship matches I've missed in a long time (Not that I've missed much from what I've heard of the games).

Cheers Boycey you're a gent (For a week anyway until I have to get stuck in on the Utd thread again!) :)

Any help you need ask away...

You're back on ignore on football thread anyhows, like all Blackburn supporters should be  ;)

Bud Wiser

Sorry!! Obviously I'm not up to speed with this stuff.

Can I get RTE on Kodi??
[/quote]

If you take a look here you will see this lunatic telling you how to configure Kodi. Most boxes should come with it already configured or contained in add ons like Phoenix but if only for a laugh have a listen to this fella - go to 13 mins in for the stations he adds on.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__4eEhh3UM8
" Laois ? You can't drink pints of Guinness and talk sh*te in a pub, and play football the next day"

stevo-08

Quote from: Bud Wiser on July 30, 2015, 07:08:33 PM
Bud Wiser is launching a new one on 10th August, was supposed to have it this week.  If you can't wait then the best next one is Zoomtak. Make sure it is from the original manufacturer and has an aluminium case. Apart from dissipating heat the amount of junk stuffed into plastic boxes is unbelievable - and dangerous.

Next year our flat screen 1080p will be history as we all move to 4K UHD (Ultra High Definition) and there are a couple of comparrisons on YouTube about UHD.  Our box already has the capability to stream UHD. If you are looking at UHD on YouTube make your screen full screen and then go to settings within YouTube and select UHD above 1080p.

Our new box has 4K Streaming/Ultra High Definition and comes with Android V 5.1
http://www.fennetec.com/Android-TV-Box.html

Hey guys
It has been a long time since I posted on this board (nearly forgotten how to do it at this stage), but I do keep an eye on it from time to time.

Anyway, I picked up a Q5 android box from www.fennetec.com and I have to say it's a superb piece of kit. Incredible spec, and great functionality. Also, a small thing, but the remote makes it very easy to navigate around the system and kodi. The design of the box itself is very neat, but also looks bullet proof, so will hopefully have it for years. In comparison, I bought a relatively cheap media player a few years ago, but it packed in after about a year. So the Q5 might not be the cheapest box on the market, but my motto is - you generally get what you pay for, and there's no doubting the Q5 quality. Some good reviews in the links below, and these guys seem to know what they're talking about...

http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=207730

http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=221407

Finally, just to say - I had barely placed the order on the website, and Bud rang me to arrange delivery. And he dropped it down personally, so fair play Bud - 10/10 for customer service.

Apologies if the links/quote above don't work, I'm well out of practice....

Bud Wiser

Ah jaysus, only saw this now and that's a nice thing to say. I didn't drive all the way to Sligo with it though, I was down in Donellans in Knockvicar drinking pints and I said to myself, before I started into them that you were not that far away and I would drop it off. Lovely country up there and I must tell this story:
There is no mobile phone service, no broadband where I was but somehow a text got through to my phone sitting on the bar, back end of beyond in Knockvicar. I said to my man, that was *****  ****** who plays for Dublin and he wants to play golf on Tuesday. Fella down the bar say's "Do you know him, how do your know him, I'm his feckin godfather" So I texted back, "ring you later, drinking pints with your godfather Gerry in Knockvicar"  Small world.

The box. I may no longer have your email but, and this goes for all TV Boxes, there is a doomsday factory default. Manufacturers are reluctant to give out their boot firmware.  I have the boot firmware for your product on a USB stick and it is on a zip file that I can mail you.  There is no need to use it, avoid using it at all costs unless you are in real trouble. Save it and keep it safe. If box ever fails just stick in USB, switch off, hold pin in reset and it will return to fresh start up.  Also, once a month, at least, go to apps, find Kodi App and under "Uninstall" select clear cache.  Any issues; tom@fennetec.com Thanks. And thanks for the plug ! !
" Laois ? You can't drink pints of Guinness and talk sh*te in a pub, and play football the next day"

heffo

Quote from: laoislad on July 31, 2015, 10:32:03 AM
You dont need to pay for anything once you know where to look for content.

Don't be shy with specific pointers LL - don't mind paying for a Sports service if needs be, if I can get it free all the better!

laoislad

Quote from: heffo on October 19, 2015, 09:30:10 PM

Don't be shy with specific pointers LL - don't mind paying for a Sports service if needs be, if I can get it free all the better!
First off you'll need Kodi and then you need to find repos, all easily found on Google and YouTube tutorials of how to install.
I find SportsDevil to be the most reliable of them all. You may end up watching a game in Russian,German or Dutch but that never bothers me,anything is better than Michael Owen any ways,but there is often plenty of English streams too for games.
It's not HD but it's more than watchable. I'd rather watch a stable stream than a buffering HD stream.
Within SportsDevil I have found the best links to be livesportstreams.tv and AtdheNet.tv for literally any football game being played anywhere in the world at that moment aswell as other sports like baseball,American football etc and also then mamahd.com for live UK sport channels like Sky and BT Sports.

If you google there are plenty of others like UKTurk,Phoenix and more but as I said SportsDevil I have found to be the best and I have never missed a game with it even if the game isn't on UK television.
Here's a guide on how to install.
https://seo-michael.co.uk/how-to-manually-install-sportsdevil-on-xbmc/
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

nrico2006

Quote from: laoislad on October 19, 2015, 10:04:03 PM

First off you'll need Kodi and then you need to find repos, all easily found on Google and YouTube tutorials of how to install.
I find SportsDevil to be the most reliable of them all. You may end up watching a game in Russian,German or Dutch but that never bothers me,anything is better than Michael Owen any ways,but there is often plenty of English streams too for games.
It's not HD but it's more than watchable. I'd rather watch a stable stream than a buffering HD stream.
Within SportsDevil I have found the best links to be livesportstreams.tv and AtdheNet.tv for literally any football game being played anywhere in the world at that moment aswell as other sports like baseball,American football etc and also then mamahd.com for live UK sport channels like Sky and BT Sports.

If you google there are plenty of others like UKTurk,Phoenix and more but as I said SportsDevil I have found to be the best and I have never missed a game with it even if the game isn't on UK television.

Is this sportsdevil good for boxing too?
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

heffo

Excellent thanks

Hardy

This is a good place to keep up with Kodi developments, the best and latest repos, etc.:
http://www.tvaddons.ag/kodi-reviews/

You can subscribe for email updates.

heffo

Works perfect and the favourites streams you mentioned are bang on - watching Czech ice hockey at the mo - who knew!

WeeDonns

Came across a new build for Kodi last night called DadLife from kodiuk.tv that may be of interest to guys here

It was only released at the start of the month, so could be bugs, but looks good so far
Install instructions here;
https://seo-michael.co.uk/dad-life-kodi-build-uk-family-friendly-build/

I've previously only used the standard Kodi install with apps like Genesis, iStream, IceFilms, 1Channel, vdubt25 but this seems handier with all those and more preconfigured as well as ivue EPG for live TV.

I put it on an amazon fire stick for my brother, ticks all the boxes for him. I'll let yous know after a few weeks of using it what i think

Smokin Joe

WeeDons, I'd be interested to hear how that compares to The Beast (https://seo-michael.co.uk/the-beast-build-for-kodi/).

It comes preloaded with everything you could want, including all the pr0n that you don't want.

heffo

Quote from: Smokin Joe on October 21, 2015, 12:03:32 PM
WeeDons, I'd be interested to hear how that compares to The Beast (https://seo-michael.co.uk/the-beast-build-for-kodi/).

It comes preloaded with everything you could want, including all the pr0n that you don't want.

That looks deadly - have you used it before?

Installation is as easy as it looks in the how-to?