Gardening

Started by 118cmal, June 25, 2010, 02:59:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gaffer

Anyone ever create raised beds for growing vegetables?

Thinking of doing this but do you just fill the beds with soil or do you have to add anything to it?

"Well ! Well ! Well !  If it ain't the Smoker !!!"

God14

Strange time of year Gaffer? I'd have thought start that in March

Denn Forever

I assume you have to raise the beds and condition the soil first before you start growing?
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

Tony Baloney

www.rhs.org.uk is a great resource for all questions.
Depends on size of raised beds. If really deep you can fill with scrap like rubble etc. as long as the top couple of feet are soil.

Gaffer

Great website thanks.
Have just ploughed and rotavated a piece of ground.
Was wondering was  there anything I can do this time of year regarding preparing raised beds for next year or indeed could I plant some vegetables at this time.

I know that this is the time of the year for planting fruit trees and I ll be doing that but would also like to be planting vegetables as well and was wondering how to go about preparing a raised bed.
"Well ! Well ! Well !  If it ain't the Smoker !!!"

Boycey

Such is my prowess at this kind of stuff I'm not sure if this comes under gardening or DIY...

I put some brick pavers down 4/5 years back, this year weeds and moss have started to show plus they could do with a clean. Mr Google has provided mostly contradictory answers. Do Powerhose/ or definitely don't powerhose, bleach, washing powder, specially made up solutions..

Any tips.. ta

Aristo 60

Powerhosing not a good thing in my book esp if pavers are just held with sand. Did it once years ago and never again.

Nowadays I just put down diluted hypochlorite 3:1 (deosan red label). Apply in the dry and rinse off a half day later for best results. I just use a watering can with reduced flow spout and I cover some size of an area at not that great an expense. I get a drum for around £18. If you were to cover the same area with weedol or an equivalent it would be £100's

Use gloves and welly boots and clothes you can handle a stain on as this stuff strips the die outta clothes quickly. Other than that, keep the kids clear and don't mind the smell that will linger for a few days like a swimming pool ...

ONeill

Is urine any good for plants and grass?
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Aristo 60

Only if your hose is long enough.

Targetman

Keep your hose in till the heatwave's over!!

armaghniac

Quote from: Targetman on July 03, 2018, 11:26:44 PM
Keep your hose in till the heatwave's over!!

How do you know O'Neill has a hose?
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Targetman

I don't, could be a sprinkler!!

tintin25

Anyone have recommendations for a decent/affordable gardener who would cut grass, roll and re-seed a lawn?

Lisburn/Belfast area

playwiththewind1st

Quote from: Boycey on July 03, 2018, 08:01:07 PM
Such is my prowess at this kind of stuff I'm not sure if this comes under gardening or DIY...

I put some brick pavers down 4/5 years back, this year weeds and moss have started to show plus they could do with a clean. Mr Google has provided mostly contradictory answers. Do Powerhose/ or definitely don't powerhose, bleach, washing powder, specially made up solutions..

Any tips.. ta

I got a 25 litre container of sodium hypochlorite from a builder's yard, fourteen quid. Try that.

Orior

Quote from: tintin25 on August 28, 2018, 12:26:06 PM
Anyone have recommendations for a decent/affordable gardener who would cut grass, roll and re-seed a lawn?

Lisburn/Belfast area

If you can afford all that then you can afford just to buy a new lawn and have it laid.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians