Previous topic - Next topic

Geoff Tipps

Quote from: lurganblue on March 02, 2010, 09:54:18 PM
McShane is stinkin. Everything he touches turns to shite

Out of his depth at this level.

magpie seanie

Quote from: orangeman on March 02, 2010, 09:48:26 PM
How has Robbie stayed on the pitch ???

He is terribly rubbish. Fair play to young Best for having a go and not passing to him for him to fcuk it up at the end. Cannot suffer the hoor.

lurganblue

Quote from: magpie seanie on March 02, 2010, 10:00:19 PM
Quote from: orangeman on March 02, 2010, 09:48:26 PM
How has Robbie stayed on the pitch ???

He is terribly rubbish. Fair play to young Best for having a go and not passing to him for him to fcuk it up at the end. Cannot suffer the hoor.

yep. Robbie was dung too but he can do no wrong, even in the commenators eyes!

thewobbler

Keane was utter rubbish tonight Seanie, but seeing as he is (by a tremendous distance) the most prolific and most exciting forward that Ireland as ever produced, you must have some high standards not to be able to suffer him.

GalwayBayBoy

Don't think Keane is fully fit to be honest. He didn't train at all last week before the Rangers game but played in that and didn't look right. Played tonight after it was first thought he wouldn't and probably just because it's Brazil and he was the same. Would probably have been better off pulling out and letting someone else have a go.

mylestheslasher

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on March 02, 2010, 10:11:00 PM
Don't think Keane is fully fit to be honest. He didn't train at all last week before the Rangers game but played in that and didn't look right. Played tonight after it was first thought he wouldn't and probably just because it's Brazil and he was the same. Would probably have been better off pulling out and letting someone else have a go.

I thought Keane was good in 1st half but when you play a game like what Ireland did for 45 minutes you are going to get knackered in the 2nd half. Brasil make the ball do the work and their class will break you down in the end. In all I thought Ireland did ok considering the ability of our players and who we were up against.

Main Street

Lost the run of the game when Whelan and Duff went off.
Keane did well enough, worked twice as hard as any other, covering play and organisation was good.  Amazing that he has been a constant quality player for us over a 12 year period. My favourite striker along with Stapleton. He has enough left in the tank to play an important part in the Euro qual.
Kelly did well, well enough to be a contender for RB, doesn't stand down, gutsy and our best defender.
KK's international profile has to be reduced, he has more lives than Rasputen but anybody else will do at this stage.
Lawrence is struggling. But McCarthy looks a real livewire. I hope Trap gives him more game time in the next 2 friendlies.

No big deal to end up being totally outplayed. The team from the last campaign was never going to be good enough for the next one.

magpie seanie

Quote from: thewobbler on March 02, 2010, 10:07:08 PM
Keane was utter rubbish tonight Seanie, but seeing as he is (by a tremendous distance) the most prolific and most exciting forward that Ireland as ever produced, you must have some high standards not to be able to suffer him.

Yeah, I'm possibly a bit harsh on him and its probably not fair but its just my feeling. I'll try to explain why. Firstly, the hoopla that surrounds him is totally over the top. At the very top of his game he is good but a lot of the time his body language* and lack of effort annoys the hell out of me. I personally think he is massively overrated, especially by Irish people (the English don't have a monopoly on doing that sort of thing - who knew??!!!). I also think he misses a serious amount of chances, too many to be rated as highly as he is. Yes - he has scored the most goals ever for the Republic of Ireland but the likes of Stapleton and Aldridge were far superior strikers in my book and their club careers reflect that. David Healy has scored loads of goals at International level too (strike rate better than Robbie in by and large a worse team). Didn't like his appearance on the Late Late either, thought it reflected badly on him. He was trying to justify being carried out of a plac a few days before an important match. His recent exit from Spurs is related to the same kind of judgement and professionalism.

*Example tonight when Leon Best (who was named in the team and then dumped due to Robbie's miraculous recovery) had the temerity to attempt a shot rather than pass to him. Should be encouraging a young lad like that or maybe he feels threatened seeing as Best will be playing at a higher level than him next season?

I've probably stared another flame war here and I really didn't mean to, especially with my history with you Wobbler. It's just my opinion.

Main Street

No need to explain, your opinion on why he gets on your wick is not that important :-*

thewobbler

No flame war Seanie. I can understand why he is a frustrating player to watch. Some days he appears to have the ball control of an under-8 camog, and other days he is capable of doing absolutely anything with a ball through natural instinct.

Which would suggest he either drinks too much or doesn't sleep enough or something, as it shouldn't be possible for a 30 year to be that inconsistent.

But having watched him closely for 5 years at Spurs, I'd disagree on your laziness and leadership points. He's an animated boyo, no doubt about that - always giving off about something to someone. But look closer and he's also the first person to clap hands, signal appreciation, point the "that was your's" finger. It's not selfishness that drives him to give off, it's just a will to win, a will to do better. Which is why he's been a captain of lots of teams recently.

Anyway, history will be good to him. Circa 2020, RTE will put on a highlights reel of what he did in green, and you can guarantee that Dunphy and Giles' replacements will go misty-eyed, and a nation will join in. Stapleton and Aldridge played in the best Irish teams of all time, and between them they couldn't score as many goals as Robbie has (and counting) in a mostly depressing era for Irish soccer.

magpie seanie

Yeah, there were a few years at Spurs where he was really good and approached a better level of consistency. Also, in certain international matches he has been excellent, suppose that's what really irks me - I'd like him to be up for it all the time. I'll take your word for it on the encouraging players etc. I'm biased against him so possibly only notice what I want to see.

Mickey Linden

Good article on Don Givens. I could never understand why he was kept on for so long given his record,

http://www.extratime.ie/newsdesk/articles/3127/

stiffler

GAABoard Fantasy Cheltenham Competition- Most winners 2009

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Manchester United to play Ireland friendly

Manchester United have confirmed they will play a friendly in Dublin on August 4 to open the new Aviva Stadium.

The encounter will pit Sir Alex Ferguson's men into battle with an Airtricity League XI as part of United's plans for the 2010-11 campaign.
That could mean some Derry City players coming up against the Red Devils.

Aside from being a competitive match against a team made up of players who will be midway through their domestic season - even if they are shorn of a few stars by European commitments - it also gives a chance for United's legion of Irish fans to see them in action.

The titles a bit misleading.  ;D
Tbc....

magickingdom