Running

Started by ONeill, June 09, 2009, 09:11:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tony Baloney

15:13 from Ciara at the Victoria Parkrun in Belfast.

nrico2006

I just came onto this page to see wtf Tony Baloney was doing writing here.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Tony Baloney

Quote from: nrico2006 on December 23, 2023, 10:52:38 PMI just came onto this page to see wtf Tony Baloney was doing writing here.
Come back in the New Year and I may have started running  ;D .

I cant see who the last poster is on this new format. If I'd known it was you I wouldn't have bothered

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Tony Baloney on December 23, 2023, 10:50:25 PM15:13 from Ciara at the Victoria Parkrun in Belfast.

It's the flattest course and quickest
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

jcpen

Quote from: Tony Baloney on December 23, 2023, 10:50:25 PM15:13 from Ciara at the Victoria Parkrun in Belfast.
Some running. Fastest parkrun by a woman ever.
Not Tufll or from Laois

LC

Could do with a bit of advice.

Currently running with Mizuno Wave Horizon 6 shoes, they are grand but I would be prone to calf strains so looking to further minimise impact.  Are there any in soles out there that any one would recommend?

Thanks.

imtommygunn

I know a lot swear by hokas wrt calf injuries. Also I would say it is not necessarily shoes are you issue - strength  / mobility plays a big part in these kind of things.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: imtommygunn on January 05, 2024, 08:34:51 AMI know a lot swear by hokas wrt calf injuries. Also I would say it is not necessarily shoes are you issue - strength  / mobility plays a big part in these kind of things.

Would echo that imtommygunn, most muscle type injuries I've found over the years are down to other things rather than the shoes, the Hoka's though provide great cushion when running, Santa got the kids Hoka's for Xmas!
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

LC

Quote from: imtommygunn on January 05, 2024, 08:34:51 AMI know a lot swear by hokas wrt calf injuries. Also I would say it is not necessarily shoes are you issue - strength  / mobility plays a big part in these kind of things.

Gym 3 days a week in the past couple of years which has substantially helped.  Still have problems on occasion which is quite frustrating when you are trying to get some consistency going in terms of distances / time.  In terms of further reducing the risk I was thinking the insoles might help, I am already wearing calf sleeves.

No1

Quote from: LC on January 05, 2024, 06:21:10 AMCould do with a bit of advice.

Currently running with Mizuno Wave Horizon 6 shoes, they are grand but I would be prone to calf strains so looking to further minimise impact.  Are there any in soles out there that any one would recommend?

Thanks.

Hoka Clifton 8's.  Hoka can be quite expensive but these have worked really well for me in helping with calf and achilles problems.  Not the most up to date version of the Clifton but you will usually find a good deal on some of the usual websites.

Agree with the boys also, the strength work is crucial and take the easy days really easy!

ONeill

Do many of you pay attention to heart rate when running? I've been messing around with this recently. I'm around 144-149 during a longer run at medium pace. However, recently, I've found it hard to stay below 155, sometimes hitting 170. I know many experienced runners will tell you to ignore it, and that watch readings aren't great. Just wondering if anyone pays heed to it.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

imtommygunn

Yeah it's a great way to train. If there's nothing wrong with your monitor then assuming your fitness, pace, effort etc is constant then it can be indicative there's a cold or something in you. Quite a few variables though.

imtommygunn

Btw there's a great book called the compleat idiot's guide to heart rate training which is a great source on heart rate training. If you're an experienced runner you can tend to run to feel but until you know your body properly that can be hard so the heart rate monitor is very useful for deducing effort levels for specific sessions etc.

ONeill

If I'm doing an official run (ie parkrun at my level) I ignore heart rate, as I just want to empty it. During the week though I try to stay within that 140-150 and find I've to tailor my pace to suit that. Probably nothing wrong with running at 155ish but I know if I'm comfortable, 147/8 is normal.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

imtommygunn

Yeah I would have been the same. If the difference is negligible enough then stress, sleep etc could be factors that make it drift a bit. As long as you're not in the red and in it easily the probably not a big deal but it is a good barometer as to whether you are ticking over ok in general.