Running

Started by ONeill, June 09, 2009, 09:11:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The squinted eye

Statrted doing triathlons this year myself, I cant believe the numbers out doing them, becoming a very big sport in Ireland. Have you got the wet suit yet mayo4sam??  I find i cant swim in the pool at all any more since I got it, too boring. Awful easy to swim in the wet suit too,the legs hardly have to kick at all to keep balance with the lift

stevo-08

Started the triathlon training this year myself, Im sticking to the sprint events (750m Swim, 20k Cycle, 5k Run) as my swimming is still quite weak. Have to say Im really really enjoying it, although the training is fairly time consuming. But as squinted eye says, the numbers out doing it is unbelievable.

Anyway, doing my first one this weekend in Mulloughmore, so hopefully it goes well. Following that, I've registered for Ballina in July and Lough Key in September. Would be just delighted to complete 3 triathlons this year.

naka

hoping to hit 50 mins for the 10k myself

fitzroyalty

Tony Baloney

Quote from: fitzroyalty on June 17, 2009, 01:53:58 PM
Quote from: Derry Dolly on June 17, 2009, 09:28:12 AM
my god im so unfit  :-[

illdecide will sort you out  :D
His missus says he'd be more of a sprinter than a marathon man!

BallyhaiseMan

i have no problem helping you out with some stamina work if that would suit you.  ;)

theskull1

Sure she's made for stamina ziggy...oh sorry I mean BM

It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

Derry Dolly

Quote from: BallyhaiseMan on June 17, 2009, 03:16:16 PM

i have no problem helping you out with some stamina work if that would suit you.  ;)
oh for the love of god how did i not realise before i posted that :D :D
BM wat age r ya ;)
Quote from: theskull1 on June 17, 2009, 03:30:01 PM
Sure she's made for stamina ziggy...oh sorry I mean BM

:D :D :D

Mayo4Sam

mannix i suppose it depends on a lot of things but i'm 30 & reasonably fit, i'd should be doing a 20 min 5k. Got the wetsuit alright, wiggle.co.uk is great. Am doing ballina as well steve, i've a few loads of turf that need bringing home if u have the time after, its on good & early. Did kilcock as the 1st, only learned how to swim since christmas so was kaking myself but it was grand, 500m. Then athy, 750m but in the river, easier & quicker. Doing lough ree as well, meant to be good for beginners. U should look out for gaelforce also, defo worth doing
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

stevo-08

Quote from: Mayo4Sam on June 17, 2009, 03:49:51 PM
mannix i suppose it depends on a lot of things but i'm 30 & reasonably fit, i'd should be doing a 20 min 5k. Got the wetsuit alright, wiggle.co.uk is great. Am doing ballina as well steve, i've a few loads of turf that need bringing home if u have the time after, its on good & early. Did kilcock as the 1st, only learned how to swim since christmas so was kaking myself but it was grand, 500m. Then athy, 750m but in the river, easier & quicker. Doing lough ree as well, meant to be good for beginners. U should look out for gaelforce also, defo worth doing

good man mayo4sam, might see you in ballina. wont make any promises bout the turf though. got my wet suit from wiggle.co.uk also, brilliant website. went for the orca s2 suit, it said it was good for buoyancy so perfect for me ;) Like yourself i only took up the swimming around christmas so it's been a steep learning curve.

Gaelforce - is that the kayaking and mountain climbing business?? sounds like a challenge alright.

DennistheMenace

Ran 20 minutes today and it nearly killed me.

Baile an tuaigh

I'm a regular long distance runner. The problem is, that it has slowed me down from running at speed. Has anyone any idea how to pick up the anti as regards speed or do they not go hand in hand. I really need it for  Hurling. I was thinking cutting out so many miles? Is this the way to go..

DennistheMenace

Quote from: mannix on June 17, 2009, 08:13:36 AM
25 mins for 5k is hardly pathetic is it?

Not sure, anyone answer this ?

Mayo4Sam

i meant it in context lads. I should have said for me. On the tris,i find the transition tough, v dizzy after the swim. BaT the trickis short quick runs
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

ONeill

Wee bit disappointed with the Lisburn 10k tonight. Did it in 56 mins. Was around 25mins for 5k and planned to step it up between 4 and 6 miles. At 4 miles stepped up to 8.5 mph and felt good. Hit the wall at 4.5 miles during a smallish hill climb. Slowed right down and never picked it up again. Also made the mistake at stopping at a water point for a swig. The last 1k was a feckin tragedy. Much work to do yet. Still want to break 50mins by the end of the summer.

Also made the mistake at starting towards the back of the field. It took a mile before you could run at a decent pace due to the amount of feckin grannies. Must've been over 2000 doing it.

You feel slightly better after you've had a drink and in your car when you see hordes still trying to finish it!
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.