Running

Started by ONeill, June 09, 2009, 09:11:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mannix

i agree with bigfella, you are heading towards injury. 3 to 4 miles is enough and maybe a longer run once a week followed by a day off. you should also be doing short sprints and hill runs if you want to build endurance and muscle to prevent inury.
what are you training for anyway?

delboy

Quote from: gaa.boy on June 10, 2009, 11:27:41 AM
I have started running 6/7 miles 4 or 5 times a week and wearing a heart rate monitor. My bpm seem to be way above what it should be. For my entire run it seems to be between 160-210. Should I be worried?

No not really, you could happen to have a very high max heart rate (its at least 210 anyway), that 220 minus age is a v. v. general estimate. If you really want to find out what your max is try running up and down a hill until you are at 100 % and feel like you have nothing left in the tank to give whatsoever, the max reading you get from the heart rate monitor is you real max heart rate rather than some guesstimate (obviously you need to be healthy and reasonably fit before attempting something like that).

gaa.boy

Thanks for that delboy. Im just running to lose a bit of weight at the minute, but would like to do a few 10k races later in the year.

DrinkingHarp

Does running between the couch and fridge count?

Gaaboard Predict The World Cup Champion 2014

ONeill

Quote from: mannix on June 10, 2009, 04:57:57 PM
i agree with bigfella, you are heading towards injury. 3 to 4 miles is enough and maybe a longer run once a week followed by a day off. you should also be doing short sprints and hill runs if you want to build endurance and muscle to prevent inury.

I tend not to run two days in succession - has that any bearing on gaining a natural fitness - should I try to combine a couple of days and then a day off?

It the moment it's usually Sun - Tues - Thurs.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Minder

Quote from: ONeill on June 10, 2009, 10:21:49 PM

I tend not to run two days in succession - has that any bearing on gaining a natural fitness - should I try to combine a couple of days and then a day off?

No the frequency you are doing is grand, you should always have a day off, let the muscles recover. Rest is as important as the actual running.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

thebigfella

Quote from: ONeill on June 10, 2009, 10:21:49 PM

Nah I would do some weights or non impact stuff in between to avoid injury.

I would normally do something like this when I get the chance but not easy when your working away all the time.
Monday - Rest
Tuesday - Run
Wednesday - Weight Training/Swim or Cycle
Thursday - Run
Friday - Weight Training
Saturday - Long Run
Sunday - Swim or Cycle (sometimes both) to help loosen you up after Sat

Some people reckon you should have 2 days off, usually friday to prepare you for Sat but I like to do a couple of sessions of weights in a week, nothing too hectic though.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: ONeill on June 09, 2009, 09:11:04 PM
Any runners out there?

I've been running fairly regularly over the last few months (only 1-2 times a week though). I've done a couple of 10ks but try to run 3-4 miles on training runs at fairly leisurely pace (around 6.5mph). I find that my bpm is around 158-160 at comfortable running but can go up to 178 when running uphill or if running anything up to 8.5mph. In order to keep it around 150 bpm which is at the very top end of my supposed optimum (220-age-60%) I'd need to be barely running/fast walking.

What's the best way to get the bpm down? I've heard of interval training but know little about it. At the minute I'm nowhere near breaking the 50min barrier for a 10k with my best at 55m.

Any help welcome.
What sort of hrm do you have? Something like a Polar? Does it come with a chest strap or do you have to buy separately?

naka

anybody doing the lisburn 10k/halg marathon tomorrow night

No1

Quoteanybody doing the lisburn 10k/halg marathon tomorrow night

Nope, but if you are doing the half be prepared for torture.  It is the hilliest, toughest mother f**king run I ever completed.

Mayo4Sam

I've recently started doing triathlons, really enjoying them but my running is pathetic, 25 mins for 5k.

Seen as i play football i'm stuck for time to train, the gaa training is good for what its intended but brutal for running alone.

SO i do 3 other runs a week:
1. A long run, min 10k, nice slow pace, 6 min k's
2. A short run, usually half of run 1, i do them in individual k's, set a time for myself, so i'm trying to get to a 20min 5k, so i run 1k in 4 minutes, stop for 2 mins, 1k in 4 mins, and so on, the idea being that after a while of that i'll reduce the time and when i go to add all 5 together i'll be able to do it in 20
3. i go for a mountain run, dublin is great for these, theres one on every wed, somewhere between 6 & 10k, up and down, really good for strength work, as i tend to stay away from the weights during the summer with football. The mountain running is tough going but its good in that u can walk up if ur out of puff and no one bats an eyelid, and because its a race the competitive nature takes over and u leave it all there.

I'm starting to go for a half an hour swim at lunch, and hopefully 2 nites cycling, up to Johnny foxes and back, a 35k trip, with a serious hill.
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

Tyrones own

My regime in the last 5/6 years:

Mon- Mountain Biking (varying lengths and degree of difficulty) stretching.
Tues- Circuit training, stretching.
Wed- Track, sprints, steps etc, then a heavy pyramid, stretching.
Thurs- heavy weights night then stretching.
Fri- Biking (same plan as Mon's)
Sat- off
Sun- Karate then 20 mile mountain bike ride in the headlands

Used to try to get to Judo on a Sat morning also (life & work permitting) till I got injured :'(
Work and pressure has me slowed up on the above for the past year though but still doing a bit
with the hope of getting back into it steady.
Where all think alike, no one thinks very much.
  - Walter Lippmann

mannix

25 mins for 5k is hardly pathetic is it?

ONeill

Quote from: naka on June 16, 2009, 08:58:08 PM
anybody doing the lisburn 10k/halg marathon tomorrow night

Yes, thinking of having a stab at it. Would like to hit around 50mins.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Derry Dolly

my god im so unfit  :-[