Holidays

Started by Oakleafer93, June 03, 2009, 01:17:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

general

You may book the zoo now

screenexile

Trying to but August isn't available yet!

Cunny Funt

Quote from: BennyCake on July 02, 2020, 06:55:17 PM
Quote from: galwayman on July 02, 2020, 11:28:21 AM
Quote from: BennyCake on July 02, 2020, 11:25:28 AM
Quote from: JoG2 on July 02, 2020, 09:52:33 AM
Quote from: JimStynes on July 02, 2020, 09:47:28 AM
The prices to go away for a few nights in Ireland are a disgrace

You are not wrong Jim. We spent 5 nights in Las Vegas a few years ago (good hotel on the strip, flights from Dublin -> Heathrow -> Vegas), it was cheaper than 5 nights (same dates ) to stay in a 3* hotel in Bundoran.

I'd rather stay in Bundoran. Las Vegas is my idea of hell.
Why so? You don't need to drink or gamble in Vegas to enjoy it.

Everything about it just looks so false. It's almost like a cruise ship, as you're feckin' stuck there in the middle of the desert. Just not my kind of holiday. Bundoran for me!  ;D

It's man/machine built like any city. I'm guessing you never visited and wouldn't be a fan of other desert cites such as Dubai? Better places in Donegal than Bundoran and I'd encourage you to explore the county, will be a lot more reasonable priced accommodation there than some of the prices quoted here.

BennyCake

Quote from: Cunny Funt on July 05, 2020, 02:45:21 PM

You are not wrong Jim. We spent 5 nights in Las Vegas a few years ago (good hotel on the strip, flights from Dublin -> Heathrow -> Vegas), it was cheaper than 5 nights (same dates ) to stay in a 3* hotel in Bundoran.

Everything about it just looks so false. It's almost like a cruise ship, as you're feckin' stuck there in the middle of the desert. Just not my kind of holiday. Bundoran for me!  ;D

It's man/machine built like any city. I'm guessing you never visited and wouldn't be a fan of other desert cites such as Dubai? Better places in Donegal than Bundoran and I'd encourage you to explore the county, will be a lot more reasonable priced accommodation there than some of the prices quoted here.

Nah, desert cities not my thing.

Bar a bit of Innishowen, I've seen all of Donegal. I was being slightly sarcastic about Bundoran. But I'd still go there ahead of Vegas!

trailer

Quote from: BennyCake on July 05, 2020, 02:59:02 PM
Quote from: Cunny Funt on July 05, 2020, 02:45:21 PM

Nah, desert cities not my thing.

Bar a bit of Innishowen, I've seen all of Donegal. I was being slightly sarcastic about Bundoran. But I'd still go there ahead of Vegas!

Agree on Donegal. It's terrible. Was there last year for a few days and just awful place.

Milltown Row2

Donegal is fantastic.
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Cunny Funt

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on July 05, 2020, 04:26:20 PM
Donegal is fantastic.
Absolutely. I'd like to hear about trailers non terrible counties to visit in Ireland.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Cunny Funt on July 05, 2020, 04:29:37 PM
Donegal is fantastic.
Absolutely. I'd like to hear about trailers non terrible counties to visit in Ireland.

I go every year to a friends place, just before Dunfanaghy, facing Ards Forrest Park. Heaven, the danders or runs with my dogs around there are the best
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

trailer

Quote from: trailer on September 19, 2019, 10:11:58 PM
Donegal

We went for a wee week before the kids went back to school. I'd been in my youth to other places in Donegal but not really since. We booked a nice if basic chalet type house in Downings. Here follows a brief summation.

In short Donegal is seriously overrated. The drive is pretty awful, with not a good road to be had. The scenery is spoilt by un-kept hedgerows and awful buildings. Indeed nothing seems to ever have been finished off properly. It's like they were nearly done and then said we'll finish that tomorrow, but they never came back.

The planning committee for Donegal Co. Council or whoever makes such decisions is doing a very bad job. An awful lot of poorly thought out planning decisions seems to have been made. Where we stayed for example, was a little cull de sac of 5 or 6 houses, the road wasn't finished even with a base coat of tar just hardcore and likely won't ever be by the looks of it and there was no footpath to walk to wee town. There was barely a footpath in the town. Surely footpaths should be mandatory?
There's chalet type houses EVERYWHERE. You can't see anything for houses. Awful.
Some of the building that built are truly awful. They look awful and they all seem to be finished with a grey render that bleeds red. It's absolutely awful looking.

There's nothing much in the town. The two shops just about have the essentials, one didn't have bottled water. They' were pretty awful to be honest. We went for Breakfast to a cafe one morning. It didn't accept card. It was just hassely. Who doesn't accept card in 2019?? The food was good.

There's two pubs. One isn't really accessible unless your driving. We had the kids so weren't on that sort of holiday but certainly they seemed nice places if as I say a little inaccessible.

The beach was fine. You could drive onto it which is handy, but it's a beach and certainly not worth going to as one off.

It rained a lot. Indeed Downings appears to get more rain that the other town beside it. We were out for a drive and it wasn't raining in Ramelton (I think that's the other town) but it was in Downings. Quite heavily.

So it was great to be away for a few days etc but I don't think I'd ever go back because there are other places that are far more beautiful and picturesque.
The people are nice enough though.

Has anyone else been and what are your thoughts?

My experience last year.

Tony Baloney

You'll find that most places are shite in the rain.

BennyCake

So what was the problem trailer?

Food was good. Beach good. One pub accessible. Sounds good enough to me. Bring cash next time  ;)

It rains in Donegal ya know. Like everywhere else in Ireland  :D

I think people are used to being entertained, and having everything laid on for them  with water parks and sea worlds in Tenerife and the likes. The good think about holidays in Ireland is sometimes you make your own entertainment, and maybe get back to nature, walks, frigging about on beach, kids at rock pools, snakes and ladders inside while it pisses rain. That's all part of it. Sometimes the simple things you do are often the most memorable.

JimStynes

Quote from: BennyCake on July 05, 2020, 05:35:52 PM

Food was good. Beach good. One pub accessible. Sounds good enough to me. Bring cash next time  ;)

I think people are used to being entertained, and having everything laid on for them  with water parks and sea worlds in Tenerife and the likes. The good think about holidays in Ireland is sometimes you make your own entertainment, and maybe get back to nature, walks, frigging about on beach, kids at rock pools, snakes and ladders inside while it pisses rain. That's all part of it. Sometimes the simple things you do are often the most memorable.

Those bloody chalet type houses would put your head away  ???

Cunny Funt

Quote from: BennyCake on July 05, 2020, 05:35:52 PM

Best for trailer to stay away from those places as I think he's allergic to water  ;)

Mikhail Prokhorov

Christ the last thing Donegal needs is the gah board know-it-alls turning up for their holidays

Heaven help them  ;)

manfromdelmonte

Donegal is fantastic.
Agreed
Usually head up.to Leitir or Kinncasslagh