Teachers get it handy!

Started by wherefromreferee?, June 20, 2008, 08:49:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

imtommygunn

The guy is completely bonkers and should not be let near anyone's children.

trailer

Quote from: imtommygunn on January 05, 2023, 03:41:10 PM
The guy is completely bonkers and should not be let near anyone's children.

He should be on a register. Difficult to understand how any institution gave him a job.

FermGael

These ski trips are some job.
Good to have them back ....
Wanted.  Forwards to take frees.
Not fussy.  Any sort of ability will be considered

RedHand88

Milltown Row2

Quote from: RedHand88 on January 18, 2023, 09:45:00 AM
https://twitter.com/murphinyorks/status/1615240898060734465?s=48&t=y3-FqJ70olZfuuNdZV2-aw

Awful lot of them have time to moan on Twitter on a Wednesday morning  ::)

Me or Tony never put that up  ;D

But she does work outside of schools hours and at weekends on school stuff tbf.. She has bought paper to as when you go outside your budget you don't get anymore!

A lot of teachers don't get to do real teaching due to the crap that goes with it, its a results game now
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Itchy

https://twitter.com/murphinyorks/status/1615240898060734465?s=48&t=y3-FqJ70olZfuuNdZV2-aw

All you can do is laugh at the self importance. Wouldn't last 5 minutes in the private sector.

Saffrongael

It's always the same problem with teachers, years ago they were seen as "something" and think they should be paid like doctors & barristers. Now they are 10 a penny and pretty much anyone could have a lash at it.
Let no-one say the best hurlers belong to the past. They are with us now, and better yet to come

LC

Quote from: Itchy on January 18, 2023, 09:53:00 AM

All you can do is laugh at the self importance. Wouldn't last 5 minutes in the private sector.

As someone who worked in private sector for 20+ years before moving into the public sector I end up saying the above statement to myself on a regular basis.......dare'nt say it out loud as there would be a formal complaint put in against you and / or you would be taken up for bullying / harassment.  I appreciate some people in the public sector are not in great salaries but we were all in that position in the private sector, if we wanted to move up or move onwards you had to take matters in to your own hands.  People might think it sounds harsh but its reality.

Milltown Row2

I doubt you'd last 5 minutes either in a classroom..

Having done it, and my classes were small (up to 20) I'm glad I'm out of it, ungrateful shits who wanted everything handed to them, not all but the majority...

Heard a cracker the other day, kid went home during school, he fell in the play ground, father phoned in wanting to know was the playground gritted!! Christ, whole set of emails and alarms going off!! Wise up
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

thewobbler

Quote from: Saffrongael on January 18, 2023, 10:07:29 AM
It's always the same problem with teachers, years ago they were seen as "something" and think they should be paid like doctors & barristers. Now they are 10 a penny and pretty much anyone could have a lash at it.

You have this so inside out, it's surreal.

Teaching was never considered on a par with law or medicine. But it did provide a middle class income and as a result attracted its fair share of bright, focused and dedicated professionals. Those among them who emerged as what you describe as "something" in their community, didn't do so because they were teachers. They did so because they were leaders.

Teaching is now barely, if at all, a middle class income.

There are still (thankfully) plenty of people who have an inner vocational calling to educate, which for now allows parts of our schools system to function as we need. But as a career, it cannot be allowed to drop another notch in terms of viability. Either house prices and cost of living increases are curbed, or else an annual increase must be allowed for in their salaries. For if we don't, we won't have an education system. We will have private education for the rich, and substandard day care for the poor.

See careers in medicine and social care, fire service, police service, public service administration, key council workers, for the exact same story.

The sheer aloofness and shortsightedness of private sector employees to believe that they, their families and and communities can thrive without a strong public sector, is mindboggling. But hi that's the pursuit of material greed for you. Even though all one has to do is look at America and see what a fucked up place it is, and the exact model society should try to avoid. People still can't help it.

RedHand88

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on January 18, 2023, 11:01:57 AM

Having done it, and my classes were small (up to 20) I'm glad I'm out of it, ungrateful shits who wanted everything handed to them, not all but the majority...

Heard a cracker the other day, kid went home during school, he fell in the play ground, father phoned in wanting to know was the playground gritted!! Christ, whole set of emails and alarms going off!! Wise up

Are we talking about teachers or children here?

You'll find that litigation culture in all walks of life now unfortunately, not just teaching. Everyone is out for a quick payday everywhere.

NAG1

The thing is wobbler is bang on here.

What we should be striving for is a better lot for everyone.

We should be making teaching an attractive profession to be in because that way we will have a better overall system and therefore more and better educated kids leaving the system, going into society.

This should then result in more a innovative, creative and resilient private sector driving up the income to the average household and the Tax purse.

In turn we should also be striving for a better public service, so that as a society we are able to help those who need it, but also to have high quality public services in whatever sector it may be in.

Both are dependent on each other to ensure that we live in a better more equitable society for everyone.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: RedHand88 on January 18, 2023, 11:40:40 AM

Are we talking about teachers or children here?

You'll find that litigation culture in all walks of life now unfortunately, not just teaching. Everyone is out for a quick payday everywhere.

Yeah, look its very simple to me, if you have actually worked in a profession its very difficult to know fully what's actually involved in it..

I couldn't tell you the inner workings of an accountant but sure he just punches numbers all day and makes a good living out sitting on his arse, or the lad thats coding for a tech company who does a lot of calculations on the computer from his bedroom

We all know that there is a lot more that goes onto those jobs and I didn't mean to pick of the nerds in this case  ;D

Itchy

I think I'd do ok actually. I've worked with kids through sport for many many years and like everything if you are committed to something and passionate about it you'll do a good job and get something out of it, as will the kids. There are of course many teachers who fall into that bracket but in my experience they are in the minority.

Itchy

Quote from: NAG1 on January 18, 2023, 11:59:10 AM
The thing is wobbler is bang on here.

What we should be striving for is a better lot for everyone.

We should be making teaching an attractive profession to be in because that way we will have a better overall system and therefore more and better educated kids leaving the system, going into society.

This should then result in more a innovative, creative and resilient private sector driving up the income to the average household and the Tax purse.

In turn we should also be striving for a better public service, so that as a society we are able to help those who need it, but also to have high quality public services in whatever sector it may be in.

Both are dependent on each other to ensure that we live in a better more equitable society for everyone.

I totally agree with this, except I would add one other thing. Pay and bonus based on performance. Useless teachers put on performance review and the possibility that they can be removed if poor performance does not improve. Then get the good teachers and absolutely reward them well for excellence. Of course, teachers would not support this would they. They want the extra pay, the improved conditions but with little to no strings attached.