Teachers get it handy!

Started by wherefromreferee?, June 20, 2008, 08:49:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ONeill

Ach mistakes happen. And you hope universities will compensate for those types of errors. Stressful times for those who maybe had their heart on that pathway. It'll be sorted i'm sure.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

armaghniac

Quote from: Fionntamhnach on August 19, 2022, 06:07:16 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on August 19, 2022, 03:56:34 PM
Take in the students from here if they have the grades, if there is a short fall then fill it with overseas students.. Not difficult

The main issue is that overseas students are an utter cash cow for universities these days (particularly Russell Group or "red brick" unis like Queens), especially with funding for domestic students at the same universities capped by Stormont (and by Westminster & devolved parliaments in GB). Universities in the UK are not subject by law to a fees cap for overseas students (i.e. not resident in the UK**) whom, especially the Chinese, will pay plenty to get on to courses even if they're clearly not capable of completing the course as the university in question will lower the grade requirements for them compared to "home" students.

Some ex poly type "universities" in England may be accommodating to Chinese students, but the better ones will get Chinese students that are well able to do the exams, especially in more technical stuff.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

delgany

Quote from: ONeill on August 19, 2022, 10:15:45 PM
I think you only chose one of the two exams this year. So those who chose AEL1, where the anomaly seems to have happened, have had a few stressful days.

Where is this information about the Eng Lit,   Mr. O. The  daughter did the AEL 1

ONeill

Milltown Row2

So is there a scaling in these results? The top six % will get A*s ?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

ONeill

Great to be back though. It was a long summer.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Duine Inteacht Eile on August 19, 2022, 10:53:55 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on August 19, 2022, 10:46:38 PM
There is scaling. Not sure of the A* threshold.

There's also degree of difficulty in exam's
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Milltown Row2

Jim Bob

Quote from: Duine Inteacht Eile on August 19, 2022, 09:09:10 PM
Quote from: Jim Bob on August 19, 2022, 06:42:22 PM
Back in my day it was all about the exams in June ,,, no coursework counted so if you dossed your way
through  lower and upper sixth like I did you were soon caught out. I only found out a week before my History A Level exam that Piedmont was actually a region in Italy. I had thought all along Piedmont was some sort of war general.
Then into teaching. Is there any part of your life you didn't doss your way through?

Naw. Got away with it all through my career. Whenever the inspections were due I rang in sick on the Monday. Nothing anyone could do. Was back on the Thursday ...got a few dirty looks but so what ...

Champion The Wonder Horse

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on August 19, 2022, 11:20:50 PM

Each of which you'd fail.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Champion The Wonder Horse on August 20, 2022, 12:41:09 AM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on August 19, 2022, 11:20:50 PM

Each of which you'd fail.

Eh? Fail what? 

ONeill

Was talking to an examiner in England who is still marking GCSE papers this morning. Talk about cutting it fine.

Jim Bob

I see David Clifford has joined the ranks. I thought he worked in the Bank.

delgany

Quote from: Jim Bob on August 23, 2022, 04:36:01 PM

Banking is a thing of the past, call centre post for most young people , these days !

laoislad

Quote from: Jim Bob on August 23, 2022, 04:36:01 PM
From one handy job to another.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.