Teachers get it handy!

Started by wherefromreferee?, June 20, 2008, 08:49:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

delgany

Quote from: Duine Inteacht Eile on August 17, 2022, 07:52:03 PM
Ah ok, in Ireland, where Itchy lives.
::)

Yes indeed, its hard to keep up , some people lose the run of themselves about where they live!

Milltown Row2

Wife said her A level results were really good this year, all A's one B ... should keep her job for another year... phew
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

delgany

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on August 18, 2022, 07:30:56 AM
Wife said her A level results were really good this year, all A's one B ... should keep her job for another year... phew

Great to hear , MR .
My oldest girl got her grades and is off to Glasgow.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: delgany on August 18, 2022, 10:35:57 AM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on August 18, 2022, 07:30:56 AM

Great to hear , MR .
My oldest girl got her grades and is off to Glasgow.

Youngest off too, two A's and A*

Manchester or Liverpool! Anyways boat booked and Ikea at the weekend!
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

redzone

Quote from: Fionntamhnach on August 19, 2022, 12:12:33 AM
Call me a cynic, but I'd reckon that most of those calling the loudest for certain teachers to be sacked more easily if their students had a history of under-performing in exams would be the first to complain if the newer teachers in place actually did want they wanted in improving overall average students grades at A-Level/GCSE/Leaving Cert etc. with complaints about grade inflation, "exams weren't as easy back in my day" and so on.  ;)
What ever happened that teacher in Fintona that allegedly drew on the child's forehead with a permanent marker

An Watcher

Back in my day it was very rare for anyone to get 3 As in the school and many a time no one got 3 As.  Anyone who did was off doing law/medicine etc. 
Nowadays 3 As are ten a penny and the people that get them aren't doing the laws/medicine etc. 
Even the likes of nursing used to be Cs and Ds but now it's Bs.  All changed

Milltown Row2

Quote from: An Watcher on August 19, 2022, 07:23:44 AM
Back in my day it was very rare for anyone to get 3 As in the school and many a time no one got 3 As.  Anyone who did was off doing law/medicine etc. 
Nowadays 3 As are ten a penny and the people that get them aren't doing the laws/medicine etc. 

So either people were thick back in the day or the teaching has improved and kids are generally smarter.

Tests are still used from back in the day so which is it?

Itchy

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on August 19, 2022, 07:39:26 AM

So either people were thick back in the day or the teaching has improved and kids are generally smarter.

Tests are still used from back in the day so which is it?

I must have missed it but where was it said here that teaching standards are worse today than 20/30 years ago?
The point I personally have made is around under performing teachers (minority) and what is done about them (nothing). There are loads of brilliant teachers and I would imagine they must be ripping too looking at what others are allowed get away with.

Mario

Slightly unrelated but a lot of bright students aren't doing law or medicine anymore. The best money is in computer science and finance.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Mario on August 19, 2022, 08:57:06 AM
Slightly unrelated but a lot of bright students aren't doing law or medicine anymore. The best money is in computer science and finance.

Would say medicine is a vocation or do people look at it like that nowadays? Is it all about the money/benefits? Daughter has a clear view of what's she wants. I still don't know what I want at 50!

Kidder81

I sssiem it's the nature of how A Levels are structured now, years ago it was all on the day in May/June of upper sixth. Now they are more modular over the two years so it's harder to really f**k them up I guess, coursework making up % of a grade in some subjects too. The system is certainly more weighted towards better grades now

Mario

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on August 19, 2022, 08:59:54 AM
Quote from: Mario on August 19, 2022, 08:57:06 AM

Would say medicine is a vocation or do people look at it like that nowadays? Is it all about the money/benefits? Daughter has a clear view of what's she wants. I still don't know what I want at 50!
It's 18 years since i did A-levels but back then a lot of people that went into Medicine were encouraged into by their parents or brought up to think they should become a doctor as they were bright at school so why would you do anything else. A lot of parents saw it as a status symbol. I'm sure some also seen it as a vocation.

It's not all about money/benefits but if someone is doing 9-5 and earning 50% more than you i know what i would choose.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Kidder81 on August 19, 2022, 09:25:17 AM
I sssiem it's the nature of how A Levels are structured now, years ago it was all on the day in May/June of upper sixth. Now they are more modular over the two years so it's harder to really f**k them up I guess, coursework making up % of a grade in some subjects too. The system is certainly more weighted towards better grades now

So you are sitting a math A level or a science topic are they structured with course work or have they stayed the same?

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Duine Inteacht Eile on August 19, 2022, 10:05:21 AM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on August 19, 2022, 10:02:01 AM
Quote from: Kidder81 on August 19, 2022, 09:25:17 AM

So you are sitting a math A level or a science topic are they structured with course work or have they stayed the same?
They are modules, half of which can be repeated before you end up with your final A level grade.

I imagine that's what he is getting at.

When doing math you do modules?

imtommygunn

I did maths modules 25 years ago.