Teachers get it handy!

Started by wherefromreferee?, June 20, 2008, 08:49:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JimStynes

Quote from: Duine Inteacht Eile on August 15, 2022, 09:50:46 PM
Quote from: JimStynes on August 15, 2022, 09:14:39 PM
Quote from: Barnster on August 15, 2022, 01:01:40 PM
We all did homeschooling from March 2020 were teachers couldn't be arsed setting work or engaging with the kids so doubt you would last working from home.

I've worked in the finance sector for a few years and it was a piece of piss and boring as f**k. So glad moved into teach as I love teaching children and love my job. I do hate the meaningless paperwork that's involved in teaching though. As for these private sector jobs. We could all starting naming examples of jobs that are easy. I go to the gym over the summer and a lot of the people in the classes I go to bring their laptops and move their mouse ever now and then to keep their bosses thinking they're busy. And these aren't wee lowly paid jobs! I'm talking people who are earning good money and in well respected jobs. I'm sure they earn their money at different stages of the day or weeks. But to say they're killed working is definitely not the case!

Btw I do agree with people saying that there should be more sanctions for underperforming teachers. I have worked with a few absolutely terrible teachers who were just putting in their time until they retired. When I was a young teacher and desperate for a permanent job it was very frustrating working with those sort of people. I do feel teaching is the sort of job that could wear you down after many years and if I ever get to that stage I would maybe look at taking a career break for a year or two and try to keep my motivation levels at the level they should be. Having an unmotivated teacher in the staff room is toxic ultimately not fair on the children.

As I said earlier, I love my job though, it's a brilliant career for people who love working with children but it's definitely not for everyone. I'd love to see some of the experts in here try and control a classroom with all the different needs and behaviour challenges. I always laugh at my mates who do a week at coaching Cul Camp and come back and say they're never doing it again.
Good man, Jim. That's an impressive effort in justifying your existence. You really sell yourself as one of the classroom heroes. I hope it doesn't go unnoticed among the critics.

I try my best  ;)

Barnster

Agree whole heartily with Jim's honest appraisal, teaching is hard, kids now have a sense of self entitlement, the problem is kids are now teachers, in third year my sons history class had a class average of 21, I questioned the teacher, probably early 20s, at the then parent / teacher meeting as to why it was so low he started directing his comments to my son. I intervened to say I was asking the question he said they weren't putting the work in, every other subject the class average was high 80s but it was the kids fault, I asked to speak to principal, still waiting, history was dropped by the whole class.

Milltown Row2

Maybe they were just shit at history
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Barnster

Or maybe the teacher was too focused on the McCrory team and the hurling. You do realise how pathetic your posts are, or maybe you don't.

Champion The Wonder Horse

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on August 15, 2022, 10:16:47 PM
Maybe they were just shit at history

25/80 would get you a C in GCSE History this year.

laoislad

Quote from: JimStynes on August 15, 2022, 10:00:23 PM
We all did homeschooling from March 2020 were teachers couldn't be arsed setting work or engaging with the kids so doubt you would last working from home.

I've worked in the finance sector for a few years and it was a piece of piss and boring as f**k. So glad moved into teach as I love teaching children and love my job. I do hate the meaningless paperwork that's involved in teaching though. As for these private sector jobs. We could all starting naming examples of jobs that are easy. I go to the gym over the summer and a lot of the people in the classes I go to bring their laptops and move their mouse ever now and then to keep their bosses thinking they're busy. And these aren't wee lowly paid jobs! I'm talking people who are earning good money and in well respected jobs. I'm sure they earn their money at different stages of the day or weeks. But to say they're killed working is definitely not the case!

Btw I do agree with people saying that there should be more sanctions for underperforming teachers. I have worked with a few absolutely terrible teachers who were just putting in their time until they retired. When I was a young teacher and desperate for a permanent job it was very frustrating working with those sort of people. I do feel teaching is the sort of job that could wear you down after many years and if I ever get to that stage I would maybe look at taking a career break for a year or two and try to keep my motivation levels at the level they should be. Having an unmotivated teacher in the staff room is toxic ultimately not fair on the children.

As I said earlier, I love my job though, it's a brilliant career for people who love working with children but it's definitely not for everyone. I'd love to see some of the experts in here try and control a classroom with all the different needs and behaviour challenges. I always laugh at my mates who do a week at coaching Cul Camp and come back and say they're never doing it again.
Good man, Jim. That's an impressive effort in justifying your existence. You really sell yourself as one of the classroom heroes. I hope it doesn't go unnoticed among the critics.

I try my best  ;)
Give it a rest Jim you have it handy ;D. Sure aren't you always  posting on Facebook out on the golf course after an easy day at school  ;)
I'd love to be finished at half 2 everyday like yourself!
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

JimStynes

Quote from: laoislad on August 15, 2022, 10:42:13 PM
Quote from: JimStynes on August 15, 2022, 10:00:23 PM

I try my best  ;)
Give it a rest Jim you have it handy ;D. Sure aren't you always  posting on Facebook out on the golf course after an easy day at school  ;)
I'd love to be finished at half 2 everyday like yourself!

I'm packing the golf in after the season I've had. Pure shite

Itchy

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on August 15, 2022, 07:58:26 PM
Quote from: Itchy on August 15, 2022, 07:57:11 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on August 15, 2022, 07:54:52 PM
So you get the job and it's do whatever ya want?

You must be some pup in your job

Yep that's right, job for life irrespective of what you do.

In my job I work hard to keep people in jobs.

Aye you sound like a top bloke

Bloke? You gone full English now. I'm fully content with what I've brought and continue to bring to my small corner in terms of employment and creating and giving decent people opportunities to work to their potential. You can mock it all you want.

Milltown Row2

You're sounding like a complete tit with your comments about teachers.
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Itchy

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on August 15, 2022, 11:03:45 PM

Funny that, a teacher above just pretty much agreed with what I said  so why aren't you calling him a tit. You are just a big empty vessel aren't you? Zero between the ears and no doubt have a particularly precious teacher as a wife or relative.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Itchy on August 15, 2022, 11:08:45 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on August 15, 2022, 11:03:45 PM

Funny that, a teacher above just pretty much agreed with what I said  so why aren't you calling him a tit. You are just a big empty vessel aren't you? Zero between the ears and no doubt have a particularly precious teacher as a wife or relative.

I was a teacher, but that's not why I'm disagreeing with your ott comments about teachers. Your allegedly poor teachers you've been in contact with has completed clouded your view on teaching. Pathetic.

Between the ears you've got your eardrum, Ossicle,  eustation canal, cochlear, semi circular canals, auditory nerve, then your brain.. something I do know about

quit yo jibbajabba

Milltown wins. Nite everyone

Jell 0 Biafra

Unless you've spent some time trying to interest a group of 30 pre-teens or teenagers in something they haven't the foggiest notion about, you are simply not qualified to criticize teachers.

Are there bad teachers? For sure.  Are there bad plumbers, electricians, bricklayers, gas-fitters?  Well, if you've ever spent time on the phone trying to get someone to come back to finish a job properly that they've left when it's not working properly, you know the answer.  There are people in every profession who are bad at their job.  It's just a fact.

I've worked as a builder's labourer, a warehouse packer, a cemetery groundsperson, a bookie's board-marker and cashier, an army canteen manager/server and a a Kitchen assistant.  For the last 20-odd years, I teach college.  It's the most demanding and most exhausting job I've ever worked at (despite the summers off).  I can only imagine how much harder it is to teach school-age kids.   

I see how hard my kid's teachers work, and how dedicated they are, and how many special-needs kids they have in their classes, and I have nothing but admiration for them.

Primary and secondary school teacher's rock.   And if you can read this post, you should be thanking them.

Barnster

Quote from: Jell 0 Biafra on August 16, 2022, 02:39:47 AM
Unless you've spent some time trying to interest a group of 30 pre-teens or teenagers in something they haven't the foggiest notion about, you are simply not qualified to criticize teachers.

So unless you play professional football is one not qualified to criticize a footballers performance, unless you are an elected representative is one not qualified to criticize our politicians or hold them to account, unless you are a qualified dentist, doctor, surgeon, nurse or other healthcare professional is one not qualified to offer any critique on their professional standards, what an utterly ridiculous statement.  Though the pure sanctimonious horseshite of the statement below takes the biscuit.   

Quote from: Jell 0 Biafra on August 16, 2022, 02:39:47 AM

Primary and secondary school teacher's rock.   And if you can read this post, you should be thanking them.

My wife and I taught our kids to read, all parents teach their kids, most kids don't start school until they are 5 are you seriously saying that they start totally incapable of reading and only because of teachers they can?  By the way we also taught our kids to walk and talk or are you going take credit for that also.

Milltown Row2

Whoever taught you needs a good slap