Started by wherefromreferee?, June 20, 2008, 08:49:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Itchy

Quote from: delgany on August 15, 2022, 05:49:35 PM
Quote from: Itchy on August 15, 2022, 04:53:02 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on August 14, 2022, 12:42:58 PM
Quote from: Itchy on August 14, 2022, 12:31:03 PM
Quote from: Jim Bob on August 13, 2022, 09:59:29 AM
Teachers are inspected every day of the week by parents.

What a stupid comment that is. Do parents then decide the salary increase of the teacher, do parent give the teacher formal coaching conversations or disciplinary if required? Sure school principals cannot even address poor performance levels.

Milltown, you ask for a definition of a poor teacher. It's the same as a poor welder, a poor mechanic etc. Disinterested , no pride in their work, lack of attention to detail, poor communication skills, poor organisational skills. Bottom line = poor results. The difference is the poor welder has repercussions.

Do they though? The poor welder takes up a job welding somewhere else...

I'm not sure what repercussions you are looking? Flogging?  Sack them and then what? Do we have plenty of spare teachers out there?

Yes thats what I said, flog them. What's the point trying to debate with you?

Private sector - coaching conversation, informal warning written warning, termination of contract. During all that period you might also be asked to sign up to a performance improvement plan, clear improvement targets set and monitored.

Teaching = do a shit job, none of above, continue on regardless and pick up whatever pay rise is going. Its a joke. Its also a joke that great teachers get the same pay as crap ones. Totally wrong and de motivating I'd imagine.

Your talking out of your ear now!
Coaching and mentoring  takes place.
Performance review in place.
Improvement targets process in place.
These all filter into the school's development plans, which are monitored and reviewed by ETI.( in the North).
All schools are at different stages but the cycle of sch improvement are standardised across all schools.
Much the same as private sector  but teachers dont go around slagging people from the private sector as they dont need to.

I've said it 20 times in this thread I'm referring always to the South. I know nothing much about the north but I would ask are you confusing a year plan with disciplinary action? They are two totally different things.

Milltown Row2

What a stupid comment that is. Do parents then decide the salary increase of the teacher, do parent give the teacher formal coaching conversations or disciplinary if required? Sure school principals cannot even address poor performance levels.

Milltown, you ask for a definition of a poor teacher. It's the same as a poor welder, a poor mechanic etc. Disinterested , no pride in their work, lack of attention to detail, poor communication skills, poor organisational skills. Bottom line = poor results. The difference is the poor welder has repercussions.

I'm not sure what repercussions you are looking? Flogging?  Sack them and then what? Do we have plenty of spare teachers out there?

Private sector - coaching conversation, informal warning written warning, termination of contract. During all that period you might also be asked to sign up to a performance improvement plan, clear improvement targets set and monitored.

Teaching = do a shit job, none of above, continue on regardless and pick up whatever pay rise is going. Its a joke. Its also a joke that great teachers get the same pay as crap ones. Totally wrong and de motivating I'd imagine.

Are you saying none of that is being done at schools? I know it is but you know it isn't. Who's right?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Itchy

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on August 15, 2022, 07:18:16 PM

Are you saying none of that is being done at schools? I know it is but you know it isn't. Who's right?

It's simple to prove, produce on here the disciplinary procedure that they follow in your school and we will see how much of above is in it. Procedure will be a written document outlining the process of discipline step by step, it will be aligned with the law of the land and if you ever end up in an unfair dismissal court case you will want to have followed it to a tee.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Itchy on August 15, 2022, 07:23:06 PM

It's simple to prove, produce on here the disciplinary procedure that they follow in your school and we will see how much of above is in it. Procedure will be a written document outlining the process of discipline step by step, it will be aligned with the law of the land and if you ever end up in an unfair dismissal court case you will want to have followed it to a tee.

I'm not a teacher so will find that difficult.. but what you are saying is that there are no disciplinary procedures in schools? What century are you living in?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Barnster

The 21st where public sector workers are practically immune from disciplinary actions no matter how incompetent they are.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Barnster on August 15, 2022, 07:48:21 PM
The 21st where public sector workers are practically immune from disciplinary actions no matter how incompetent they are.

Jesus that's some broad brush you're using..

You much prefer the lad style employment laws?

Itchy

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on August 15, 2022, 07:43:35 PM
Quote from: Itchy on August 15, 2022, 07:23:06 PM

I'm not a teacher so will find that difficult.. but what you are saying is that there are no disciplinary procedures in schools? What century are you living in?

Funny enough in previous centuries there was discipline but not now. I'm pretty confident you won't find a school disciplinary procedure but sure there's loads of teachers here that will prove me wrong and produce one

Milltown Row2

So you get the job and it's do whatever ya want?

You must be some pup in your job

Itchy

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on August 15, 2022, 07:54:52 PM

Yep that's right, job for life irrespective of what you do.

In my job I work hard to keep people in jobs.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Itchy on August 15, 2022, 07:57:11 PM

Aye you sound like a top bloke

Barnster

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on August 15, 2022, 07:58:26 PM
Quote from: Itchy on August 15, 2022, 07:57:11 PM

Aye you sound like a top bloke

Champion The Wonder Horse

Quote from: quit yo jibbajabba on August 15, 2022, 01:12:05 PM
Man joins gaa discussion website to slag off teachers.

How f*cking sad are you mate 😂😂😂

He has a point though.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Champion The Wonder Horse on August 15, 2022, 08:53:13 PM

He has a point though.

That you join a discussion board to slag off teachers? Ok

JimStynes

Quote from: Barnster on August 15, 2022, 01:01:40 PM
We all did homeschooling from March 2020 were teachers couldn't be arsed setting work or engaging with the kids so doubt you would last working from home.

I've worked in the finance sector for a few years and it was a piece of piss and boring as f**k. So glad moved into teach as I love teaching children and love my job. I do hate the meaningless paperwork that's involved in teaching though. As for these private sector jobs. We could all starting naming examples of jobs that are easy. I go to the gym over the summer and a lot of the people in the classes I go to bring their laptops and move their mouse ever now and then to keep their bosses thinking they're busy. And these aren't wee lowly paid jobs! I'm talking people who are earning good money and in well respected jobs. I'm sure they earn their money at different stages of the day or weeks. But to say they're killed working is definitely not the case!

Btw I do agree with people saying that there should be more sanctions for underperforming teachers. I have worked with a few absolutely terrible teachers who were just putting in their time until they retired. When I was a young teacher and desperate for a permanent job it was very frustrating working with those sort of people. I do feel teaching is the sort of job that could wear you down after many years and if I ever get to that stage I would maybe look at taking a career break for a year or two and try to keep my motivation levels at the level they should be. Having an unmotivated teacher in the staff room is toxic and ultimately not fair on the children.

As I said earlier, I love my job though, it's a brilliant career for people who love working with children but it's definitely not for everyone. I'd love to see some of the experts in here try and control a classroom with all the different needs and behaviour challenges. I always laugh at my mates who do a week at coaching Cul Camp and come back and say they're never doing it again.

Champion The Wonder Horse

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on August 15, 2022, 09:07:27 PM
Quote from: Champion The Wonder Horse on August 15, 2022, 08:53:13 PM

He has a point though.

That you join a discussion board to slag off teachers? Ok

That the best you can do? Ok