Teachers get it handy!

Started by wherefromreferee?, June 20, 2008, 08:49:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

imtommygunn

Quote from: JohnDenver on January 29, 2021, 08:47:41 AM
Don't get the anti teacher sentiment. There'd be no shortage of other professions I'd drive the boot into before teachers.

And like every walk of life, you're going to get a number bad eggs in whatever you look at, that can often give the rest a bad reputation.

Where's the estate agent thread......

Yeah suddenly all teachers seem evil and incompetent lol.

It's like anything else. There are bad ones and good ones. I'd plenty of good ones and a couple of horrendous ones too.

The dynamic of the profession basically changed entirely overnight and everyone is expected to adapt instantaneously.

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: imtommygunn on January 30, 2021, 09:45:18 AM
Don't get the anti teacher sentiment. There'd be no shortage of other professions I'd drive the boot into before teachers.

And like every walk of life, you're going to get a number bad eggs in whatever you look at, that can often give the rest a bad reputation.

It's like anything else. There are bad ones and good ones. I'd plenty of good ones and a couple of horrendous ones too.

The dynamic of the profession basically changed entirely overnight and everyone is expected to adapt instantaneously.

I'm not sure people are annoyed at teachers , but they are really frustrated with govt approach to schools and how we have ended up where we are. Of course a lot of professions had to adapt overnight , but I suppose it can be seen as an indicator of the mportance of teaching to our society that teachers maybe get unfair amount of criticism. If I was to anecdotally relay what I've heard people criticise it has been schools and GPS. Now that probably indicates how important each are to us.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: imtommygunn on January 30, 2021, 09:45:18 AM

I'm married to one and her 2 sisters are teachers so I know all about it. My missus is the first to admit that loads of her colleagues have a sense of entitlement that annoys Joe Public. Back in the day teaching was a profession that commanded respect like doctors, lawyers, accountants etc. and now it is just another job - loads of them seem find that hard to take. Sure she still gets annoyed if an ex pupil calls her by her first name  ::)

screenexile

It's weird but there is absolutely no doubt in my mind that the standard of education has increased since I attended school yet teachers were revered back then and get so much more stock now!

🤷‍♂️

Tony Baloney

Quote from: screenexile on January 30, 2021, 10:58:06 AM
It's weird but there is absolutely no doubt in my mind that the standard of education has increased since I attended school yet teachers were revered back then and get so much more stock now!

🤷‍♂️
Everybody and their aunt started going to university around early-mid 90s, whereas back in the day it was a small percentage, so a graduate was held in higher esteem and was certainly a novelty.

trailer

https://www.eurosurveillance.org/content/10.2807/1560-7917.ES.2020.26.1.2002011

Study in Norway tested *all* contacts of 5 to 13 year olds with covid. They conclude "transmission of SARS-CoV-2 from children under 14 years of age was minimal in primary schools in Oslo and Viken, the 2 counties with the highest COVID-19 incidence

https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMc2026670

NEJM study of schools in Sweden (distancing encouraged, but not masks). Of 1,951,905 children, 0 deaths from COVID, 15 ICU. Of 103,596 teachers, 20 ICU, lower relative risk of ICU compared to other occupations (excludes healthcare)

restorepride

Quote from: trailer on February 01, 2021, 01:56:41 PM

Study in Norway tested *all* contacts of 5 to 13 year olds with covid. They conclude "transmission of SARS-CoV-2 from children under 14 years of age was minimal in primary schools in Oslo and Viken, the 2 counties with the highest COVID-19 incidence

NEJM study of schools in Sweden (distancing encouraged, but not masks). Of 1,951,905 children, 0 deaths from COVID, 15 ICU. Of 103,596 teachers, 20 ICU, lower relative risk of ICU compared to other occupations (excludes healthcare)
We don't live in Norway or Sweden, so this post is relatively meaningless. 

Just have a bit of respect for the current public health pandemic here (and schools/teachers) and all will work out in the long run.   

How many adults to transport this number of children (in bold) to school? 

No teachers at schools = 20 ICU beds freed up in Sweden, by your stats.  Has to be a positive?

trailer

Quote from: restorepride on February 01, 2021, 11:19:54 PM
Quote from: trailer on February 01, 2021, 01:56:41 PM

We don't live in Norway or Sweden, so this post is relatively meaningless. 

Just have a bit of respect for the current public health pandemic here (and schools/teachers) and all will work out in the long run.   

How many adults to transport this number of children (in bold) to school? 

No teachers at schools = 20 ICU beds freed up in Sweden, by your stats.  Has to be a positive?

I'd be happy for teachers and students to go back to school so we could conduct the study here.

FermGael

£35.4 million allocated by Conor Murphy towards a pay settlement for teachers .
And them at home doing nothing........
Wanted.  Forwards to take frees.
Not fussy.  Any sort of ability will be considered

restorepride

Quote from: FermGael on February 02, 2021, 04:41:13 PM
I think this "doing nothing" nonsense was put out of its misery on here a long time ago. Catch up!

delgany

Two Year pay deal as agreed in previous industrial action brought to a conclusion ,equates to £20 a week on average .

FermGael

Quote from: delgany on February 02, 2021, 05:31:46 PM

Two Year pay deal as agreed in previous industrial action brought to a conclusion ,equates to £20 a week on average .

So there will be back pay for last year and the last lockdown when the schools were shut and the teachers did noting ......

restorepride

Quote from: FermGael on February 02, 2021, 07:38:18 PM
Quote from: delgany on February 02, 2021, 05:31:46 PM

So there will be back pay for last year and the last lockdown when the schools were shut and the teachers did noting ......
Yes, we make a lot of notes.  Professional teachers do plan for students who need support - lots of notes.  The board can see clearly why this is  needed.  Please make a note.   Now, away and wise up!

imtommygunn

Is he not a teacher? Hard to know who is serious and who isn't in this thread any more lol.

FermGael

Quote from: imtommygunn on February 02, 2021, 07:51:16 PM
Is he not a teacher? Hard to know who is serious and who isn't in this thread any more lol.

A teacher I may be but I will never claim to be a professional