Teachers get it handy!

Started by wherefromreferee?, June 20, 2008, 08:49:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FermGael

Quote from: marty34 on December 18, 2020, 11:00:40 PM
Quote from: FermGael on December 18, 2020, 10:51:25 PM
Very simple.
The 11 plus plus it seems he hasn't a high opinion of teachers .

In fairness, has anybody a high opinion of teachers?

So it's an idealogical thing with him.

He seems to be all over the place on his brief and seems to be rubbing a lot of people up the wrong way.

Lazy whores
Just looking more holidays ....
Wanted.  Forwards to take frees.
Not fussy.  Any sort of ability will be considered

marty34

Quote from: FermGael on December 18, 2020, 11:14:44 PM
Quote from: marty34 on December 18, 2020, 11:00:40 PM
Quote from: FermGael on December 18, 2020, 10:51:25 PM
Very simple.
The 11 plus plus it seems he hasn't a high opinion of teachers .

In fairness, has anybody a high opinion of teachers?

So it's an idealogical thing with him.

He seems to be all over the place on his brief and seems to be rubbing a lot of people up the wrong way.

Lazy whores
Just looking more holidays ....

Are they above or belows bankers and estate agents on the list of the most hated professions...allegedly!!

Verticalball

It's maddening to see this response at eight o'clock on a Friday evening, in addition to CCEA issuing guidance this afternoon. The lack of planning or forward thinking is a disgrace. There is no proactive thinking or vision in anticipating problems that lie ahead. For example Weir and CCEA put out consultations regarding GCSE / A level in Sept, and I know that feedback was that course content needed to be reduced. Took four months to accept this! I share an A level class with another school and I have just spent 4 months teaching a unit to my Year 14s which will now not be assessed. Likewise, my co-teacher in a neighbouring school who has been sharing a Yr 13 class with me and he has been teaching a unit for 4 months which has just been a waste of time. Could have been avoided. So many of these ministers have portfolios which they are not qualified to carry. I think Canada is an example where they appoint former teachers to the role of Education minister, doctors to the role of Health Minister. Weir seems to be making it up as he goes along.
I agree that students should be in school by the way, but a phased return in January should definitely be looked at to maximise the effect of the lockdown. And it is spreading in schools, no doubt about it. If you think adults are fed up complying, teenagers especially Yr 11 and upwards are sick of it and they are the students who are carrying the virus and displaying symptoms. An absolute shitshow from the Education Minister all week.

JimStynes

At least we won't have to work into July now

Jim Bob

The problem is that Sinn Fein will remain largely silent in the issue and Weir will get his way ...

delgany

Dept. Of Education is a shit show from the top down. Weird is a poor communicator, dithers, is poorly advised by his Sp.Ad. Peter Martin. His agenda is driven by the North Down branch of
'Grammar schools' at all costs.
The Education Authority is a complete disaster- it is charged with delivering Education policies.It is completely unfit for purpose. It has spent millions of millions of  pounds on SEN provision, for example  and it is still in turmoil.
They spend millions on  reviews, that are never implemented- next on the list - is a review of education provision!  The panacea of the 'liberal latte elite'  is to have one education system- which is fine in principle - but how does that actually work in reality ?

JimStynes

Are there any areas in the North that aren't 'transfer' areas? I teach near Lurgan and not one child will be doing the transfer in our school. One child has done it in the past 6 years. It is never mentioned. The children are so much happier here than other schools I've taught in. When I taught in an area that feeds into Rathmore and the likes, I couldn't believe how much of a big deal it was. Serious pressure put on children. The Monday after results day was always a very tough day when a lot of children didn't get the result they wanted. 10/11 years of age and devastated over an exam. The exam is in November as well. Half the P7 curriculum isn't even taught at that stage so they're all tutored within an inch of their life. A bloody joke of a system. Is it more of a Protestant thing or what?

marty34

Quote from: JimStynes on December 19, 2020, 04:21:42 PM
Are there any areas in the North that aren't 'transfer' areas? I teach near Lurgan and not one child will be doing the transfer in our school. One child has done it in the past 6 years. It is never mentioned. The children are so much happier here than other schools I've taught in. When I taught in an area that feeds into Rathmore and the likes, I couldn't believe how much of a big deal it was. Serious pressure put on children. The Monday after results day was always a very tough day when a lot of children didn't get the result they wanted. 10/11 years of age and devastated over an exam. The exam is in November as well. Half the P7 curriculum isn't even taught at that stage so they're all tutored within an inch of their life. A bloody joke of a system. Is it more of a Protestant thing or what?

Just a grammar school thing.

You're just a stat!

delgany

Maghera is the only other area, I know off.

Serious pressure to get a place in the 'premier'  Grammars - Knock, Rathmore, Aquinas, St.Mals. The ' 2nd tier' Grammars are easier to get a place in - tend to be in state sector.

ONeill

Don't really get the problem with Weir and the 8pm thing. As it stood, all schools were preparing for a normal start. Anything else was negligence.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

ONeill

That's understandable. Fair play til Weir. Was definitely bate at school.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Milltown Row2

Did you do the 11+? 
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Tony Baloney

Some parents will want their children to attend the top grammars for kudos but for most people I'd say it is related related to how good or shit the schools are in your area.

JimStynes

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on December 19, 2020, 08:30:09 PM

Did you do the 11+?

No, it wasn't ever a thing in the schools around our area. We had the Dixon Plan. St. Paul's for 3 years then we did a transfer test at the end of 3rd year into St. Michael's Grammar. They've all been merged into the new St. Ronan's college.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: JimStynes on December 19, 2020, 09:02:02 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on December 19, 2020, 08:30:09 PM

Did you do the 11+?

No, it wasn't ever a thing in the schools around our area. We had the Dixon Plan. St. Paul's for 3 years then we did a transfer test at the end of 3rd year into St. Michael's Grammar. They've all been merged into the new St. Ronan's college.
And in the absence of the Dickson Plan the 11+ would have been in use in Lurgan and you'd no doubt have had plenty of Catholic pupils sitting the transfer.