Teachers get it handy!

Started by wherefromreferee?, June 20, 2008, 08:49:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Smurfy123

Jim off course that P1 teacher will probably have to stay off for a bit longer but surely that's better than kids off?
Now take for example 8 around a table 1 metre then you have another 8 also 1 metre but both tables are separated by 0.5 metres as kids are back to back. That's the sort of stuff needs doing.
And I believe by September there will be no social distancing in schools

trailer

Quote from: JimStynes on June 18, 2020, 06:16:13 PM
Quote from: Rois on June 18, 2020, 06:10:19 PM
Quote from: hardstation on June 18, 2020, 05:48:41 PM
Quote from: Rois on June 18, 2020, 05:45:17 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on June 18, 2020, 05:33:33 PM
You obviously went to a different type of school than most, but at my old school there was one table for two people sitting arm by arm, there were 30 per class. Was never a metre away.

Could those two people not sit at opposite ends of same table now, probably a metre away from each other rather than arm by arm?  Bit of a pain for space, but do-able.
And be a metre away from a pupil behind them? They could aye, but you'll not be fitting anywhere near 30 of them in many classrooms.
I'm not trying to be contrary, just trying to work out what you might be able to get into a room. What's the general dimensions of teaching space in a classroom?

We do this for their assessments, with each child sitting opposite ends of the table but they're not able to stay away from the person behind them. It would be virtually impossible to have 1m distance. The room is just too small. Then in the lower classes it is definitely going to be impossible for them to stay away from each other. Our FS teacher has serious health condition and she's also had cancer a few years ago, she has 31 P1 children in her class this September. I'd say she will be worried because even if she has 10 in her class they'll be crawling over the top of each other and her.

You make it sound like they're infected with the rage virus. Come on. Dial down the hysteria.

Smurfy123

What's wrong with that Hardstation?
And trailer is right you are going on there as if kids are ramping Witt the virus
Do you know any kid that has had it?

Smurfy123

How did that affect both kids?

Milltown Row2

You obviously went to a different type of school than most, but at my old school there was one table for two people sitting arm by arm, there were 30 per class. Was never a metre away.

Could those two people not sit at opposite ends of same table now, probably a metre away from each other rather than arm by arm?  Bit of a pain for space, but do-able.
Sorry seen hardstations response, end sitting perfect providing there's a metre behind them?

None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Smurfy123

Very doable
But let's complain that it cant be done.
It's not going to be prefect but what is
2 metres social distancing now but nobody seems to be doing it

JimStynes

Quote from: trailer on June 18, 2020, 06:22:27 PM

And be a metre away from a pupil behind them? They could aye, but you'll not be fitting anywhere near 30 of them in many classrooms.
I'm not trying to be contrary, just trying to work out what you might be able to get into a room. What's the general dimensions of teaching space in a classroom?

We do this for their assessments, with each child sitting opposite ends of the table but they're not able to stay away from the person behind them. It would be virtually impossible to have 1m distance. The room is just too small. Then in the lower classes it is definitely going to be impossible for them to stay away from each other. Our FS teacher has serious health condition and she's also had cancer a few years ago, she has 31 P1 children in her class this September. I'd say she will be worried because even if she has 10 in her class they'll be crawling over the top of each other and her.

You make it sound like they're infected with the rage virus. Come on. Dial down the hysteria.

I don't mean it like that at all. I mean they're 4 years old and spend a lot of their day playing in class. When the teacher is teaching they sit on the carpet together. As I have said many times, it wouldn't bother me at all and I would like to see the full P1 class and all classes return. My point is that there is no way of keeping them apart. We tried it at a hub school and it was impossible to keep them separated all day.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: FermGael on June 18, 2020, 04:59:29 PM
This from the unions

It's welcome that the Minister has now listened to teachers and principals in relation to the 17th August. This was the main item of discussion at our meeting yesterday but we couldn't speak publicly on this until the Executive had ratified their decision.

In practice this means that the Executive are saying that P7, Year 12 and Year 14 should attend from the 24 August. Teachers can be asked to come in the week of the 17 to prepare but this is for individual schools to decide for how many days.

All of these days will count towards the 195 contractual days.

We did NOT know that the Executive would change the guidance from 2m social distancing to 1m for pupils and 2m for teachers and other staff.

It is important that teachers and principals who have planned a holiday during the agreed closure period for their school can take that holiday.

The NASUWT as part of the NITC met with Management Side today to begin drafting an agreement which protects teachers' terms and conditions if school opening days are changed. The NITC hope that this agreement will be with schools, principals and teachers next week.

Notable but unsurprising that the majority of that statement from the union was about teachers getting their holidays, their terms and conditions and contractual days, with a throwaway line about 1m distancing.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Tony Baloney on June 18, 2020, 07:29:28 PM
Quote from: FermGael on June 18, 2020, 04:59:29 PM
This from the unions

It's welcome that the Minister has now listened to teachers and principals in relation to the 17th August. This was the main item of discussion at our meeting yesterday but we couldn't speak publicly on this until the Executive had ratified their decision.

In practice this means that the Executive are saying that P7, Year 12 and Year 14 should attend from the 24 August. Teachers can be asked to come in the week of the 17 to prepare but this is for individual schools to decide for how many days.

All of these days will count towards the 195 contractual days.

We did NOT know that the Executive would change the guidance from 2m social distancing to 1m for pupils and 2m for teachers and other staff.

It is important that teachers and principals who have planned a holiday during the agreed closure period for their school can take that holiday.

The NASUWT as part of the NITC met with Management Side today to begin drafting an agreement which protects teachers' terms and conditions if school opening days are changed. The NITC hope that this agreement will be with schools, principals and teachers next week.

Notable but unsurprising that the majority of that statement from the union was about teachers getting their holidays, their terms and conditions and contractual days, with a throwaway line about 1m distancing.

The union, believe it or not, is there to look after their members. If someone had a holiday booked for the 2nd week in August should they not go? Do you work an extra week or two for nothing?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Estimator

Suggested Measures from BBC NI:

Staggered starts and ends to the school day so parents are not dropping all children off at once.

Staggered meal and break times so children are not mixing in the playground with a lot of others at one time.

School meals may have to be eaten in classrooms or even outside.

There are likely to be one-way systems in school corridors.

Schools will be asked to use sports halls or libraries for classes, or even hold some outside if it's possible.

Children may not be able to bring things like books or stationery home and then back to school.

Items such as Lego and soft toys that are difficult to clean are likely to disappear from classes.

I can see parents and teachers having issues with some of these. Each school will need to create an individual action plan based around their own specific needs and requirements.
Ulster League Champions 2009

FermGael

Staggered starts, breaks and lunch times are fine in primary schools.
In a large secondary school they would be very hard to timetable for.
Schools are going to have to be very creative.
Wanted.  Forwards to take frees.
Not fussy.  Any sort of ability will be considered

ONeill

Why's no one mentioning that Lego isn't allowed now?
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Jim Bob

Quote from: Smurfy123 on June 18, 2020, 04:36:01 PM
Full capacity Hardstation
Don't be backtracking

Not in any classroom in my school there won't !!!

trailer

Quote from: JimStynes on June 18, 2020, 07:21:52 PM
Quote from: trailer on June 18, 2020, 06:22:27 PM

I don't mean it like that at all. I mean they're 4 years old and spend a lot of their day playing in class. When the teacher is teaching they sit on the carpet together. As I have said many times, it wouldn't bother me at all and I would like to see the full P1 class and all classes return. My point is that there is no way of keeping them apart. We tried it at a hub school and it was impossible to keep them separated all day.

Fair enough

Smurfy123