Teachers get it handy!

Started by wherefromreferee?, June 20, 2008, 08:49:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Take Your Points

Quote from: ONeill on October 31, 2016, 07:11:47 PM
Saffron Sam, God rest his cyber soul, is still using chalk. He's bucked.

Chalk has the advantage of being quite easy to throw at any problem pupil while a dry marker is useless, so his traditional approach may well impress the inspectors.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Take Your Points on October 31, 2016, 09:07:28 PM

Chalk has the advantage of being quite easy to throw at any problem pupil while a dry marker is useless, so his traditional approach may well impress the inspectors.
The duster carries a bit more weight.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Tony Baloney on October 31, 2016, 10:36:44 PM

Duster not as heavy as before with the whiteboards in use!!

As you throw the duster get them to spell it before it hits them (covers literacy)
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

manfromdelmonte

Magnetic dusters are also good

Bit of weight to them

Gaffer

Quote from: Tony Baloney on October 31, 2016, 02:04:19 PM
Quote from: blast05 on October 31, 2016, 12:37:43 PM
Too many people on here have no understanding whatsoever of what the job of a teacher entails

And equally too many teachers don't understand what life is like on the other side of the fence either.

Everybody thinks they have it tough. I have found myself in roles (IT sector) where I am working 60 hour weeks and travelling abroad every 2nd week (travel time being additional) but just get on with it and get the job done. On other occasions I have found myself for brief periods with a fraction of the responsibility but yet I still found myself out of habit working 60 hours ..... I was putting far greater detail and analysis into tasks that didn't need it. I don't anymore when in those quite periods ... I've learned.
A huge amount of people find themselves in the latter situation all the time (putting in unnecessary effort) because they think that's why is expected and that is what is needed to help them get a pay rise or promotion and they don't realise they could have the same affect with far less effort. It's the same with teachers ......  some work daft hours cos they aren't smart enough to know any difference. Others have the job done when they leave the school at 4pm
Good post. I firmly believe my missus could do less without any real impact on results (she's a teacher). But it's not in her nature so she feels it's her duty to spend hours on fancy power-points, resources etc. that I guarantee the kids couldn't give a shit about. I would suspect it is more for the benefit of an inspector than anyone else. I know another fella who wouldn't put a fraction of the effort in but he doesn't seem to do any worse and when it comes to inspection I would say he just goes flat out on making up resources.

Your Mrs would rather spend hours doing unpaid work that spend it with you ? I can see why!
"Well ! Well ! Well !  If it ain't the Smoker !!!"

Take Your Points

Quote from: Tony Baloney on October 31, 2016, 10:36:44 PM

But, unlike chalk, it leaves a mark! Best to throw the duster at the wall for effect.

Take Your Points

Any word on whether yesterday's pickets outside schools across the North have brought Peter Weir back to the negotiating table?

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Take Your Points on November 09, 2016, 10:20:28 PM
Any word on whether yesterday's pickets outside schools across the North have brought Peter Weir back to the negotiating table?
LOL. Place was crippled.

Minder

Quote from: Tony Baloney on November 09, 2016, 10:23:54 PM
Quote from: Take Your Points on November 09, 2016, 10:20:28 PM
LOL. Place was crippled.

Did they strike the normal working day they have, 6:30am to 6pm, as they were telling us a few weeks ago?
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Take Your Points

Quote from: Minder on November 09, 2016, 10:26:03 PM

Did they strike the normal working day they have, 6:30am to 6pm, as they were telling us a few weeks ago?

No, the secondary teachers went out to picket during their lunch breaks and the primary teachers went out when they handed the children over to their parents at finish of their day. No strike, no loss of money.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Take Your Points on November 09, 2016, 10:31:21 PM
Quote from: Minder on November 09, 2016, 10:26:03 PM

No, the secondary teachers went out to picket during their lunch breaks and the primary teachers went out when they handed the children over to their parents at finish of their day. No strike, no loss of money.
No point.

Take Your Points

Interesting to see how many teachers have not turned up for work today given that the ballot was taken by the union in 2011 for this strike action on the basis of opposition to pension changes.  The turnout for the ballot was quite low. Loss of a day's pay in the mouth of Christmas won't be popular when other teachers will remain in school and have little affect on fully closing schools.  Few if any primary schools will be affected and so child care for parent will be much less of an issue for older children.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-38150324

Milltown Row2

The big problem will be for most schools this is when they are doing there end of term exams, GCSE and A level students are preparing for exams, teachers are doing their reports or getting ready for inspectors and having a day off striking will only put teachers a day behind an already hectic schedule
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

muppet

Quote from: Take Your Points on November 30, 2016, 12:56:33 PM
Interesting to see how many teachers have not turned up for work today given that the ballot was taken by the union in 2011 for this strike action on the basis of opposition to pension changes.  The turnout for the ballot was quite low. Loss of a day's pay in the mouth of Christmas won't be popular when other teachers will remain in school and have little affect on fully closing schools.  Few if any primary schools will be affected and so child care for parent will be much less of an issue for older children.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-38150324

Is that correct? They went on strike today on notice served as a result of a ballot from 2011???

Any idea what particular legislation provides protection for workers involved in a strike in NI?

Edit: I found this....

https://www.nidirect.gov.uk/articles/industrial-action

...The trade union can only call on members to take industrial action where the majority of those who voted, voted 'yes' to taking action. If there is majority support, the action must begin within four weeks of the ballot or eight if it's agreed between union and employer....
MWWSI 2017

Orior

I know of one grammar school where the principal said to the teachers "Come and tell me if you will be working to rule - don't worry, there will be no repercussions"

After a parents teacher meeting the principal sent a personal thank you letter to the handful of teachers that actually attended the meeting.

No repercussions my arse.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians