Previous topic - Next topic

Mikhail Prokhorov

Quote from: tonto1888 on October 30, 2016, 06:05:41 PM
Quote from: Mikhail Prokhorov on October 30, 2016, 04:53:40 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on October 30, 2016, 10:39:56 AM
Quote from: Tony Baloney on October 30, 2016, 10:07:07 AM
Quote from: JimStynes on October 30, 2016, 09:39:47 AM
I definitely don't get paid enough.
;D said every person ever! There appears to be a pay inequality in (secondary) teaching depending on the subject you teach. English homework and similar are going to be essay laden so there would be a serious marking burden in the evening, whereas there must be handier numbers like maths and PE, yet the teachers are paid the same.
Wife is maths teacher, works every night,  marking and setting exams.  Also currently doing a course at Strandmillis for further maths (something that she already has a degree in) so that they tick certain boxes come inspection!

teacher in work shocker  ::)

get over it, thats the job!

if you dont like it do something else

Many jobs don't have the amount of out of hours work that teachers have. Your reply shows a lack of understanding of the job teachers have to do

the 'extra work' is to make up for 3 months holidays and a cushy 9-3 number. i understand completely  ;)

Gaffer

Quote from: Mikhail Prokhorov on October 30, 2016, 11:45:17 PM
;D said every person ever! There appears to be a pay inequality in (secondary) teaching depending on the subject you teach. English homework and similar are going to be essay laden so there would be a serious marking burden in the evening, whereas there must be handier numbers like maths and PE, yet the teachers are paid the same.
Wife is maths teacher, works every night,  marking and setting exams.  Also currently doing a course at Strandmillis for further maths (something that she already has a degree in) so that they tick certain boxes come inspection!

Many jobs don't have the amount of out of hours work that teachers have. Your reply shows a lack of understanding of the job teachers have to do

the 'extra work' is to make up for 3 months holidays and a cushy 9-3 number. i understand completely  ;)

Teachers are contracted to work for a number of hours per year. That's what they get paid for and if any teacher volunteers to work over that time , well that is up to them.

There is nowhere in their contract where they are given 'extra work' to make up for 3 months holidays. Only a twit would believe that. And only a twit would believe that it's a 9-3 'cushy' number.
"Well ! Well ! Well !  If it ain't the Smoker !!!"

tonto1888

Quote from: Gaffer on October 31, 2016, 08:11:24 AM
Quote from: Mikhail Prokhorov on October 30, 2016, 11:45:17 PM

Teachers are contracted to work for a number of hours per year. That's what they get paid for and if any teacher volunteers to work over that time , well that is up to them.

There is nowhere in their contract where they are given 'extra work' to make up for 3 months holidays. Only a twit would believe that. And only a twit would believe that it's a 9-3 'cushy' number.

I dont know if that person actually believes it makes up for the holidays. That said, many teachers spend their holidays doing the work whcih the "cushy 9-32 timing simpley does not allow for. Too many people on here have no understanding whatsoever of what the job of a teacher entails

Gaffer

If he didn't believe it let him say so!
"Well ! Well ! Well !  If it ain't the Smoker !!!"

blast05

Too many people on here have no understanding whatsoever of what the job of a teacher entails

And equally too many teachers don't understand what life is like on the other side of the fence either.

Everybody thinks they have it tough. I have found myself in roles (IT sector) where I am working 60 hour weeks and travelling abroad every 2nd week (travel time being additional) but just get on with it and get the job done. On other occasions I have found myself for brief periods with a fraction of the responsibility but yet I still found myself out of habit working 60 hours ..... I was putting far greater detail and analysis into tasks that didn't need it. I don't anymore when in those quite periods ... I've learned.
A huge amount of people find themselves in the latter situation all the time (putting in unnecessary effort) because they think that's why is expected and that is what is needed to help them get a pay rise or promotion and they don't realise they could have the same affect with far less effort. It's the same with teachers ......  some work daft hours cos they aren't smart enough to know any difference. Others have the job done when they leave the school at 4pm

manfromdelmonte

I worked at other stuff before teaching

I don't complain about the job
It has its perks and also periods of heavy workload and stress

I doubt there is a job out there that doesn't

tonto1888

Quote from: blast05 on October 31, 2016, 12:37:43 PM
Too many people on here have no understanding whatsoever of what the job of a teacher entails

And equally too many teachers don't understand what life is like on the other side of the fence either.

True but I dont see too many teachers giving out about it.
FWIW I taught for 11 years and left at the end of the last academic year. My decision wasnt to do with workload just happiness

Tony Baloney

Quote from: blast05 on October 31, 2016, 12:37:43 PM

Everybody thinks they have it tough. I have found myself in roles (IT sector) where I am working 60 hour weeks and travelling abroad every 2nd week (travel time being additional) but just get on with it and get the job done. On other occasions I have found myself for brief periods with a fraction of the responsibility but yet I still found myself out of habit working 60 hours ..... I was putting far greater detail and analysis into tasks that didn't need it. I don't anymore when in those quite periods ... I've learned.
A huge amount of people find themselves in the latter situation all the time (putting in unnecessary effort) because they think that's why is expected and that is what is needed to help them get a pay rise or promotion and they don't realise they could have the same affect with far less effort. It's the same with teachers ......  some work daft hours cos they aren't smart enough to know any difference. Others have the job done when they leave the school at 4pm
Good post. I firmly believe my missus could do less without any real impact on results (she's a teacher). But it's not in her nature so she feels it's her duty to spend hours on fancy power-points, resources etc. that I guarantee the kids couldn't give a shit about. I would suspect it is more for the benefit of an inspector than anyone else. I know another fella who wouldn't put a fraction of the effort in but he doesn't seem to do any worse and when it comes to inspection I would say he just goes flat out on making up resources.

JimStynes

As I said before, the workload has a lot to do with the school you're in. Some schools are more relaxed than others and others are working to keep inspectors happy.

ONeill

I've the inspectors in in a few weeks. Any tips for attire? Was thinking of a gown and a mortar board.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: ONeill on October 31, 2016, 05:51:12 PM
I've the inspectors in in a few weeks. Any tips for attire? Was thinking of a gown and a mortar board.

Should have plenty to check!
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

JimStynes

I hope you've been evaluating all those lessons plans and showing that you are a reflective teacher.  ::)

muppet

Wear a balaclava and have plenty of pepper spray handy.
MWWSI 2017

Take Your Points

Definitely keep the gown but the mortar board is just asking for trouble, it will be hard to keep it on your head as you perform your song and dance act when the inspectors come in.

ONeill

Saffron Sam, God rest his cyber soul, is still using chalk. He's bucked.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.