Teachers get it handy!

Started by wherefromreferee?, June 20, 2008, 08:49:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ONeill

Il Bomber fairly ripping you teachers a new one. Well played Destro.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

tonto1888

Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on October 28, 2016, 10:39:29 AM
Can any teacher here justify why they get paid more than their equivalent in say, nursing?

Can any teacher here justify why they would get at least double the paid annual leave of a nurse?

Do they actually think teaching is a higher skilled job or a more stressful job than a nurse?

I did a quick google search there, a new qualified teacher who gets a permanent position gets paid about 30k a year (with 3 months holidays), the equivalent nurse gets 23k with 24 days annual leave?

Can a teacher justify that to me or do they feel the sense of entitlement to 3 months holidays and a starting salary of 30% more than a nurse of a garda?

Where does an NQT get 30k a year? I got 19 when I started in 2005. I know a girl who started last year and got 21k so where do they get 30k

tonto1888

Quote from: blewuporstuffed on October 28, 2016, 01:24:56 PM
Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on October 28, 2016, 01:12:26 PM
Quote from: JimStynes on October 28, 2016, 12:53:21 PM
Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on October 28, 2016, 11:27:12 AM
Quote from: JimStynes on October 28, 2016, 10:48:21 AM
Should nurses not get paid a lot more rather than say teachers should get less?

I don't think nurses get that raw a deal. I'd say they should probably get a small rise but at the same time public sector works get an awful lot more perks than private sector workers hence their may be a disparity in equivalent salaries. It's then down to the trade off between what motivates a person - money or lifestyle balance.

Permanent teachers start on 30k a year, what other jobs give you that kind of starting salary?

I certainly didn't get anywhere near that when I started off.

Inflation.
I doubt very much that teachers start off on 30k a year

They dont

tonto1888

Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on October 28, 2016, 05:08:01 PM
Quote from: delgany on October 28, 2016, 04:37:44 PM
After tax  , national Insurance  and superannuation  , take home pay is  what matters and it doesnt  reflect their qualifications and role in society.
A sch principal responsible for 330 other people , earns £150  a day approx.
Someone  in private sector can charge any figure and add 30% and perhaps pay little tax on it .

So are you now complaining about the massive pensions that teachers and public servants get?

We'll say teachers work 30 hours a week.
We'll say they work 35 weeks in the year.
The starting salary is €31,000.

35 weeks by 30 hours is 1,050 hours.
The hourly rate is €29.52.
That is over triple the minimum wage for a teacher at the starting scale.

Now compare that with a private sector worker.

They works say 39 hours a week.
They work say 47 weeks in the year.
In order to match that hourly rate they would need a starting salary of around €55k.

How many jobs would you walk out of university with a degree and into €55k starting salary. I can guarantee there wouldn't be many about and they would be very hard obtained with plenty of pressure and expectation from your employers.

Teachers don't work 30 hours a week. Double that and you would be getting close

laoislad

Ah God love ye.  60hrs a week. That would be a quiet week for me. Also I don't believe any teacher works that amount.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: tonto1888 on October 28, 2016, 05:59:33 PM
Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on October 28, 2016, 05:08:01 PM
Quote from: delgany on October 28, 2016, 04:37:44 PM
After tax  , national Insurance  and superannuation  , take home pay is  what matters and it doesnt  reflect their qualifications and role in society.
A sch principal responsible for 330 other people , earns £150  a day approx.
Someone  in private sector can charge any figure and add 30% and perhaps pay little tax on it .

So are you now complaining about the massive pensions that teachers and public servants get?

We'll say teachers work 30 hours a week.
We'll say they work 35 weeks in the year.
The starting salary is €31,000.

35 weeks by 30 hours is 1,050 hours.
The hourly rate is €29.52.
That is over triple the minimum wage for a teacher at the starting scale.

Now compare that with a private sector worker.

They works say 39 hours a week.
They work say 47 weeks in the year.
In order to match that hourly rate they would need a starting salary of around €55k.

How many jobs would you walk out of university with a degree and into €55k starting salary. I can guarantee there wouldn't be many about and they would be very hard obtained with plenty of pressure and expectation from your employers.

Teachers don't work 30 hours a week. Double that and you would be getting close

Good joke, pal.

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: tonto1888 on October 28, 2016, 05:53:58 PM
Can any teacher here justify why they get paid more than their equivalent in say, nursing?

Can any teacher here justify why they would get at least double the paid annual leave of a nurse?

Do they actually think teaching is a higher skilled job or a more stressful job than a nurse?

I did a quick google search there, a new qualified teacher who gets a permanent position gets paid about 30k a year (with 3 months holidays), the equivalent nurse gets 23k with 24 days annual leave?

Can a teacher justify that to me or do they feel the sense of entitlement to 3 months holidays and a starting salary of 30% more than a nurse of a garda?

Where does an NQT get 30k a year? I got 19 when I started in 2005. I know a girl who started last year and got 21k so where do they get 30k

http://www.asti.ie/pay-and-conditions/pay/salary-scales/salary-scale-for-teachers-appointed-after-february-1-2012/

armaghniac

Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on October 28, 2016, 06:18:19 PM

http://www.asti.ie/pay-and-conditions/pay/salary-scales/salary-scale-for-teachers-appointed-after-february-1-2012/

The average starting salary of a graduate in the 26 counties is €28,461, and teachers have a further year in college, so plenty of people start of €30k+. If anything it is the nurse that is out of line. And of course few teachers start in a regular job initially, but rather have a lot of hours and the like before getting a post.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: armaghniac on October 28, 2016, 06:39:29 PM
Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on October 28, 2016, 06:18:19 PM

The average starting salary of a graduate in the 26 counties is €28,461, and teachers have a further year in college, so plenty of people start of €30k+. If anything it is the nurse that is out of line. And of course few teachers start in a regular job initially, but rather have a lot of hours and the like before getting a post.

They should be put to work in the summer months, helping disadvantaged and special needs kids during the summer.

I don't think teachers should be getting paid more than the likes of a garda or a nurse.

I don't think they should be getting paid more than a garda or nurse and having a minimum of double the annual leave other public sector workers get.

I don't think they be getting paid more when their working week is a lot shorter than that of other public sector workers.

Teachers seem to have a sense of entitlement to their 3 month holidays.

Estimator

Why are so many teachers leaving such a handy number with months of holidays?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-37750489

Almost a third of the new teachers who started jobs in English state schools in 2010 had left the sector five years later, ministers have confirmed.
Of 24,100 state school teachers to qualify in 2010, 30% had quit by 2015, Schools Minister Nick Gibb revealed in a written parliamentary answer.
The Liberal Democrats say the figures are a "damning record" of Michael Gove's term as education secretary.
The government said teacher retention had been broadly stable for 20 years.
The figures were confirmed by Mr Gibb in a written parliamentary answer to a question from Liberal Democrat MP Greg Mulholland.
Brain drain
They show that in November 2010 24,100 newly qualified teachers entered English state schools.
After one year 87% were still there.
This fell to 82% after two years, 77% after three years, 73% after four years and 70% after five years.
Liberal Democrat education spokesman John Pugh said he blamed changes brought in by Mr Gove, who turned more than half of secondary schools into academies, reshaped the curriculum and rewrote the exam system.
"It is bad enough that dedicated teachers are being driven away from the profession they love, but this is also laying the foundations for a disastrous teaching shortage in years to come if we cannot train new teachers fast enough to replace the ones which leave," said Mr Pugh.
"The government must urgently work with the teaching community to address the many factors which are making teachers feel demoralised and under-valued; as well as reversing their devastating cuts to school budgets, which are putting increasing pressure on teachers and schools."
Ulster League Champions 2009

delgany

I'll bomber
"They should be put to work in the summer months, helping disadvantaged and special needs kids during the summer."

for your information teachers help disadvantaged and special needs children and their parents every day they  go to school.    Even the children deserve. A summer holiday.

I'm taking unclear what profession you are   but you really have no idea about the job teachers do ...it's complexities ...

It is no easy job. But it is a fantastic job in terms of seeing all children make progress. And become doctors. Nurses....people who work in education. Give more than any of the shite talked on here by people who just don't know  or more likely had a poor educational experience or indeed haven't  got a decent career path   sin e

JimStynes

I'm assuming he's talking about teaching in the South rather than up North. Handier number down south than the wee handy teaching jobs up here.

blast05

Quote from: delgany on October 28, 2016, 08:30:14 PM
It is no easy job. But it is a fantastic job in terms of seeing all children make progress.

Interestingly, that is pretty much the exact line I have used many times to describe the time I have spent over the last 4 years training/coaching a bunch of 4 and 5 year olds in my local club up to the point where they are now finished U-8 and moving to U-10.............

theticklemister

Lad. We get 22k starting. It goes up 2 grand a year, if it passes by board of governors. Currently waiting on mine to go up.

As I stated in my earlier post I'm in at 7 each morn and stay to about 5.15. Times this by 5 and then add work in the house.

I'm not lying lads.

So stick that up your holes.

laoislad

7am to 5pm. Nice short day.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.