Teachers get it handy!

Started by wherefromreferee?, June 20, 2008, 08:49:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

armaghniac

Quote from: TheOptimist on October 28, 2016, 11:38:54 AM
As a graduate accountant, I started on £12,500

As a graduate accountant or a graduate trainee accountant?

If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

JimStynes

Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on October 28, 2016, 11:27:12 AM
Quote from: JimStynes on October 28, 2016, 10:48:21 AM
Should nurses not get paid a lot more rather than say teachers should get less?

I don't think nurses get that raw a deal. I'd say they should probably get a small rise but at the same time public sector works get an awful lot more perks than private sector workers hence their may be a disparity in equivalent salaries. It's then down to the trade off between what motivates a person - money or lifestyle balance.

Permanent teachers start on 30k a year, what other jobs give you that kind of starting salary?

I certainly didn't get anywhere near that when I started off.

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: JimStynes on October 28, 2016, 12:53:21 PM

I don't think nurses get that raw a deal. I'd say they should probably get a small rise but at the same time public sector works get an awful lot more perks than private sector workers hence their may be a disparity in equivalent salaries. It's then down to the trade off between what motivates a person - money or lifestyle balance.

Permanent teachers start on 30k a year, what other jobs give you that kind of starting salary?

Inflation.

blewuporstuffed

Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on October 28, 2016, 01:12:26 PM

Inflation.
I doubt very much that teachers start off on 30k a year
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

Milltown Row2

someone is stuck at home with the kids
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: blewuporstuffed on October 28, 2016, 01:24:56 PM

Inflation.

http://www.asti.ie/pay-and-conditions/pay/salary-scales/salary-scale-for-teachers-appointed-after-february-1-2012/

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on October 28, 2016, 01:47:40 PM

Inflation.

http://www.asti.ie/pay-and-conditions/pay/salary-scales/salary-scale-for-teachers-appointed-after-february-1-2012/

Thats better than the wee six
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on October 28, 2016, 01:51:30 PM
Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on October 28, 2016, 01:47:40 PM

Inflation.

Thats better than the wee six

A lot better, I think the way we pay teachers and manage the perks is a lot fairer. In the south the teachers seem to take the piss.

JimStynes

New teachers start on £22k a year in the North.

muppet

Quote from: hardstation on October 28, 2016, 03:51:56 PM
Quote from: muppet on October 28, 2016, 10:59:40 AM
Quote from: hardstation on October 28, 2016, 12:33:09 AM
I'm not sure but I know a man who teaches history in a secondary school in Dublin. He couldn't bless himself in Irish.
In the north, there are a number of native language teachers as you have described.

I was mainly responding to Manfromdelmonte's point about people not clambering to be teachers.

I am interested in Irish and try to keep some competence in the language (not fluent sadly) so I have no agenda here, but if you put a barrier such as 'must speak Irish' then you can't really point at a lack of applications as proof of it not being a popular job.
That barrier of "must have relevant qualification in maths" is probably a pain for some as well, but I appreciate its importance when giving children access to the Irish primary school curriculum.

There are many qualified teachers in Ireland, with relevant qualifications in anything you want, but if they don't speak Irish, they can't go near a Primary School. Is it the same for secondary schools?

By the way, don't interpret this as being against the Irish language. I think it should be taught in primary and secondary schools.
MWWSI 2017

Billys Boots

The Irish requirement is certainly required for full-time lectureships in third-level colleges - in Chemistry!!
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

muppet

Quote from: Billys Boots on October 28, 2016, 04:11:22 PM
The Irish requirement is certainly required for full-time lectureships in third-level colleges - in Chemistry!!

That is what I am getting at. A rule like that can rule out lots of Irish people, never mind highly qualified EU citizens. And I don't think it does much to promote Irish either. Or Chemistry!
MWWSI 2017

delgany

After tax  , national Insurance  and superannuation  , take home pay is  what matters and it doesnt  reflect their qualifications and role in society.
A sch principal responsible for 330 other people , earns £150  a day approx.
Someone  in private sector can charge any figure and add 30% and perhaps pay little tax on it .

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: delgany on October 28, 2016, 04:37:44 PM
After tax  , national Insurance  and superannuation  , take home pay is  what matters and it doesnt  reflect their qualifications and role in society.
A sch principal responsible for 330 other people , earns £150  a day approx.
Someone  in private sector can charge any figure and add 30% and perhaps pay little tax on it .

So are you now complaining about the massive pensions that teachers and public servants get?

We'll say teachers work 30 hours a week.
We'll say they work 35 weeks in the year.
The starting salary is €31,000.

35 weeks by 30 hours is 1,050 hours.
The hourly rate is €29.52.
That is over triple the minimum wage for a teacher at the starting scale.

Now compare that with a private sector worker.

They works say 39 hours a week.
They work say 47 weeks in the year.
In order to match that hourly rate they would need a starting salary of around €55k.

How many jobs would you walk out of university with a degree and into €55k starting salary. I can guarantee there wouldn't be many about and they would be very hard obtained with plenty of pressure and expectation from your employers.

Il Bomber Destro

A junior doctor has a lower starting salary than a teacher.

A junior doctor works crazy hours in high pressure and very stressful environment.

That to me is just obscene. Teachers have some neck on them as far as I'm concerned, there's a level of delusion and entitlement to them that is not seen in any other profession.