Teachers get it handy!

Started by wherefromreferee?, June 20, 2008, 08:49:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

muppet

Quote from: hardstation on October 28, 2016, 12:16:37 AM
I think they have to learn English too.

Yip, two languages.

What do we have to learn to teach abroad?
MWWSI 2017

muppet

Quote from: hardstation on October 28, 2016, 12:23:44 AM
Quote from: muppet on October 28, 2016, 12:19:05 AM
Quote from: hardstation on October 28, 2016, 12:16:37 AM
I think they have to learn English too.

Yip, two languages.

What do we have to learn to teach abroad?
Depends on the school I suppose. People generally go to teach in schools that follow the English curriculum so that they don't have to learn much to teach in them.
To teach in a run of the mill Italian primary school, you'd have to have learned Italian....I'd imagine.

TBF I was more interesting in secondary. I know a French girl, a teacher from France, who couldn't get a job teaching in Ireland. Surely a French teacher, from France, would be worth a look? I was told she was unemployable in Ireland due to it being a 'closed shop', which is why I was asking. That might be wrong though.
MWWSI 2017

theticklemister

I know what you are talking about. I know a German man who  teaches German in Hamburg.

bamboo

Things would be a bit easier for teachers if all the mouthpieces on here kept their kids at home and home schooled them. Not even sure why'd send their kids to school if they've such a problem with 'wasters' trying to educate children.

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: delgany on October 27, 2016, 11:59:33 PM
Teachers should be put to work for their 3 months

There Are a few people on here slabbering  Abt  teaching.. 
Teaching   today is nt like it was in the past.
The level of accountability is incredible
The ability to teach isn't  determined  by the amount of holidays or pay. It is a highly demanding job  that is undervalued and underpaid .
Experienced and highly skilled teachers should be paid at a much higher level.  At least 20k  more

Why are teachers very defensive over their 3 months holidays?

Do they see it as an entitlement?

What other job offers a quarter of the year as a paid holiday?

Il Bomber Destro

Can any teacher here justify why they get paid more than their equivalent in say, nursing?

Can any teacher here justify why they would get at least double the paid annual leave of a nurse?

Do they actually think teaching is a higher skilled job or a more stressful job than a nurse?

I did a quick google search there, a new qualified teacher who gets a permanent position gets paid about 30k a year (with 3 months holidays), the equivalent nurse gets 23k with 24 days annual leave?

Can a teacher justify that to me or do they feel the sense of entitlement to 3 months holidays and a starting salary of 30% more than a nurse of a garda?

JimStynes

Should nurses not get paid a lot more rather than say teachers should get less?

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on October 28, 2016, 10:39:29 AM
Can any teacher here justify why they get paid more than their equivalent in say, nursing?

Can any teacher here justify why they would get at least double the paid annual leave of a nurse?

Do they actually think teaching is a higher skilled job or a more stressful job than a nurse?

I did a quick google search there, a new qualified teacher who gets a permanent position gets paid about 30k a year (with 3 months holidays), the equivalent nurse gets 23k with 24 days annual leave?

Can a teacher justify that to me or do they feel the sense of entitlement to 3 months holidays and a starting salary of 30% more than a nurse of a garda?

Try it, you'll never know whether or not one is more stressful or more deserving than the other? There are many types of nursing that is less stressful than teaching and same the other way..... Not down to the teachers to give reasons as to why they get paid more, nurses should get what they deserve
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on October 28, 2016, 10:54:04 AM

Try it, you'll never know whether or not one is more stressful or more deserving than the other? There are many types of nursing that is less stressful than teaching and same the other way..... Not down to the teachers to give reasons as to why they get paid more, nurses should get what they deserve

Maybe nurses get what they deserve.

Maybe teachers get far more than they deserve and want more too.

muppet

Quote from: hardstation on October 28, 2016, 12:33:09 AM
I'm not sure but I know a man who teaches history in a secondary school in Dublin. He couldn't bless himself in Irish.
In the north, there are a number of native language teachers as you have described.

I was mainly responding to Manfromdelmonte's point about people not clambering to be teachers.

I am interested in Irish and try to keep some competence in the language (not fluent sadly) so I have no agenda here, but if you put a barrier such as 'must speak Irish' then you can't really point at a lack of applications as proof of it not being a popular job.
MWWSI 2017

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on October 28, 2016, 10:55:01 AM

Again you'd need to try it and see for yourself.... every person in a job wants more holidays and more pay, anyone can put themselves into a position to seek that job, if they choose nursing and then complain about getting crap wages or shit holidays then they havent done their homework (shit pun)
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on October 28, 2016, 11:00:29 AM
Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on October 28, 2016, 10:55:01 AM

Again you'd need to try it and see for yourself.... every person in a job wants more holidays and more pay, anyone can put themselves into a position to seek that job, if they choose nursing and then complain about getting crap wages or shit holidays then they havent done their homework (shit pun)

I think it shows the delusion teachers have.

They don't realise what they have is way and above what most of their public sector counterparts have, I think it would be great if they were brought back down to reality, which is unlikely to happen.

Their striking is an absolute disgrace.

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: JimStynes on October 28, 2016, 10:48:21 AM

I don't think nurses get that raw a deal. I'd say they should probably get a small rise but at the same time public sector works get an awful lot more perks than private sector workers hence their may be a disparity in equivalent salaries. It's then down to the trade off between what motivates a person - money or lifestyle balance.

Permanent teachers start on 30k a year, what other jobs give you that kind of starting salary?

TheOptimist

Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on October 28, 2016, 11:27:12 AM

I don't think nurses get that raw a deal. I'd say they should probably get a small rise but at the same time public sector works get an awful lot more perks than private sector workers hence their may be a disparity in equivalent salaries. It's then down to the trade off between what motivates a person - money or lifestyle balance.

Permanent teachers start on 30k a year, what other jobs give you that kind of starting salary?

As a graduate accountant, I started on £12,500

Farrandeelin

Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on October 28, 2016, 11:27:12 AM

I didn't.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.