Teachers get it handy!

Started by wherefromreferee?, June 20, 2008, 08:49:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ONeill

Quote from: Gaffer on June 15, 2017, 11:56:30 PM
Teachers aren't 'moved' on to other schools. They have to forward an application form  and attend interview. It's not like the Church which you are implying

They can be. And have been.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Owen Brannigan

Quote from: macdanger2 on June 16, 2017, 12:50:25 AM
Quote from: Owen Brannigan on June 16, 2017, 12:01:36 AM
Quote from: macdanger2 on June 15, 2017, 11:54:43 PM
Quote from: Owen Brannigan on June 15, 2017, 11:45:54 PM
Quote from: JimStynes on June 15, 2017, 11:22:06 PM
What do you make of this:
https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10209258377032226&id=1105826157

Wow! 

Just horrendous on many fronts.

I had heard about his earlier today but had not read the post or listened to the recording.

Firstly, the needs of the child are paramount in all safeguarding situations and it is clear this is far from what has happened for this poor child.

These parents were obviously at their wits end to take the step of recording the teacher.  Even if only elements of their story are true then it is a horrendous indictment of Catholic education that prides itself on its special Christian ethos and care for the individual never mind the most vulnerable in the classroom/society.

It provides a warning to teachers on their vulnerability with the advances in technology.  The teacher in secondary school knows that as many as 30 mobile phones can be recording audio and video in every situation in the classroom.  Hopefully, they remain composed and give no hostages to fortune regardless of provocation.  The primary school teacher has been much less vulnerable to such activity until now.

The parents have also highlighted the education system's worst kept secret that matters are cleared up by teachers leaving the profession on ill-health or retirement or being given a reference to move on to another school.  Where have we heard of such methods before?

WTF

It is every teacher's worst nightmare to lose their cool and to have it recorded on a smart phone which can be posted on line for all.  Working in the classroom with some of today's teenagers is very difficult job and even the best and most experienced teachers can find it tough going at times.  It happens and even outside school on a night out the teacher can find his/her pupils ready to video any indiscretion and post it on line.  It happens.

Perhaps but it seems like an odd comment to post in relation to this story. I wouldn't consider the child being autistic as provocation.

You are 100% correct an autistic child is not a provocation. My comment was a general one about mobile phones being used by pupils to video or record their teachers in school or out when the situation arises. The provocation willl often come in the classroom from some smart ass who knows the buttons to press to get a reaction from his/her teacher. Others will record and share. That's why schools try and usually fail to control mobile phone use by pupils.

As well as the rights and wrongs related to the special educational needs element of this story, there is the issue of a teacher being recorded. Any teacher will worry about that angle.

Owen Brannigan

Quote from: Gaffer on June 16, 2017, 12:00:43 AM
Quote from: Owen Brannigan on June 15, 2017, 11:58:32 PM
Teachers aren't 'moved' on to other schools. They have to forward an application form  and attend interview. It's not like the Church which you are implying

Really?

Yes

For as long as I remember, there have been schools that have 'encouraged' teachers to move along and often to another school when serious 'incidents' or situations have occurred or even for performance reasons, e.g. to avoid disciplinary action a school would work with the teacher and his/her union to move them along rather than follow the required procedures in which neither party could win. A super reference or at worst one economical with the truth would be provided to hide any problems or issues from the next school and a wall of silence built. It would take longer for a post to come along nowadays but in the past when there plenty of jobs it happened fairly quickly, usually by the end of year.  Also redundancy and retirement packages could have been used to move such teachers along as claimed by the parent in this situation.

The problem arose for recruiting schools who would have recruited such teachers because they would be unaware of the situation given the references and thought they were getting an experienced teacher with a glowing report. Things might only surface afterwards when recruitment was signed and sealed and nothing could be done to rectify the situation other than never trust that source for a reference.

The losers nowadays are the many good experienced teachers moving schools or seeking first permanent employment as schools are very wary of references.

These actions by some schools put a cloud over the massive majority of great teachers who left in retirement or taking redundancy or to genuinely move on to another school.  They also put a cloud over the vast majority of very genuine references received in recruitment of teachers.  As always the actions of the few can damage the many in so many ways.

Orior

Wow! 

I had heard about his earlier today but had not read the post or listened to the recording.

Firstly, the needs of the child are paramount in all safeguarding situations and it is clear this is far from what has happened for this poor child.

These parents were obviously at their wits end to take the step of recording the teacher.  Even if only elements of their story are true then it is a horrendous indictment of Catholic education that prides itself on its special Christian ethos and care for the individual never mind the most vulnerable in the classroom/society.

It provides a warning to teachers on their vulnerability with the advances in technology.  The teacher in secondary school knows that as many as 30 mobile phones can be recording audio and video in every situation in the classroom.  Hopefully, they remain composed and give no hostages to fortune regardless of provocation.  The primary school teacher has been much less vulnerable to such activity until now.

The parents have also highlighted the education system's worst kept secret that matters are cleared up by teachers leaving the profession on ill-health or retirement or being given a reference to move on to another school.  Where have we heard of such methods before?

WTF

It is every teacher's worst nightmare to lose their cool and to have it recorded on a smart phone which can be posted on line for all.  Working in the classroom with some of today's teenagers is very difficult job and even the best and most experienced teachers can find it tough going at times.  It happens and even outside school on a night out the teacher can find his/her pupils ready to video any indiscretion and post it on line.  It happens.

Perhaps but it seems like an odd comment to post in relation to this story. I wouldn't consider the child being autistic as provocation.

There are always two sides to every story. It is hard to imagine that a teacher could be so mean without some kind of motivation.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

macdanger2

Quote from: Orior on June 16, 2017, 09:47:53 AM

Wow! 

WTF

There are always two sides to every story. It is hard to imagine that a teacher could be so mean without some kind of motivation.

I honestly can't envisage any scenario where a 5 or 6 year old child should be treated like that. She should have the book thrown at her

Gaffer

Quote from: ONeill on June 16, 2017, 07:09:16 AM

Tell me how!
"Well ! Well ! Well !  If it ain't the Smoker !!!"

Owen Brannigan

Quote from: Gaffer on June 17, 2017, 01:08:30 AM

Tell me how!

Read this previous reply to you:

http://gaaboard.com/board/index.php?topic=8187.msg1705287#msg1705287

JimStynes

If parents start putting recording devices in school bags, editing it and putting it on Facebook then there won't be very many teachers left in the profession. Trial by Facebook ffs. Some of the comments made about the woman are ridiculous.

Il Bomber Destro

The problem with teachers is they are overpaid and underworked, there is never a supply issue with teachers - there is always a surplus of teachers ready to step into a job.

Teachers now get ready for a good 2/3 months paid annual leave in the peak holiday season, they should have leave in line with all other public sector workers. They should be put to work in other community or special need bases project during the summer holidays. Their holidays should consist of 15 days summer leave, 9 days at Easter and the Christmas break.

It would be interesting to see how many of the skivers who take up teaching as a profession would then drop out when the 3/4 paid months annual leave they get through the year is taken away.

I do appreciate that teachers in the North would not get nearly as much of the perks/financial reward that the ones in the South do.

Wildweasel74

Ha so says Bomber who was never a teacher!!

The legality of sending a child to school with a recording device, is breaking the law right there,

Gaffer

Quote from: Owen Brannigan on June 17, 2017, 06:59:35 AM

Tell me how!

Total and utter bull! You made that up as you went along!
"Well ! Well ! Well !  If it ain't the Smoker !!!"

Wildweasel74

Doesn't sound good on that recording alright, their are tests done to the child to me for entry into general school, my nephew had the same done for him but at 6/7 which was too late to diagnose his issues. This child to me probably need 1-1 special needs assistant but of course they cost money and the schools dont have it. The teacher to me seems totally incapable of teaching a child with special needs as the child probably doesn't understand half the time he been giving abuse.

JimStynes

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on June 17, 2017, 09:34:55 AM
Doesn't sound good on that recording alright, their are tests done to the child to me for entry into general school, my nephew had the same done for him but at 6/7 which was too late to diagnose his issues. This child to me probably need 1-1 special needs assistant but of course they cost money and the schools dont have it. The teacher to me seems totally incapable of teaching a child with special needs as the child probably doesn't understand half the time he been giving abuse.

There is no context to the recording. We don't know if this is a full class of children or a small group of SEN children. We don't know what the child is doing in the video. He could be standing on tables for all we know. The teacher is obviously at her wits end and has lost it. We have a teacher in our school who is kicked, punched, spat on, hair pulled etc by a P1 every single day. The teacher is in tears most days and is totally helpless. Not good for the child, teacher and other children in the class. The school even asked the parent to come in and watch their child in the class. The parents seem to be in denial that the child is not fit for mainstream education.  I have a nice wee boy with autism in my class and luckily he has a classroom assistant otherwise I wouldn't get any work done as he needs one to one help at all times.

With the recording posted above, I feel sorry for the child being put in a class that is he more than likely not capable of being in and I feel sorry for the teacher who is being subjective to the most ridiculous threats. There won't be a teacher in Ireland who hasn't shouted at a child at some stage. I'm not defending the teacher's actions as she is wrong and is screaming at a 5 year old boy with autism. But we don't know the full story.

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on June 17, 2017, 09:10:28 AM
Ha so says Bomber who was never a teacher!!

The legality of sending a child to school with a recording device, is breaking the law right there,

So only those who have 3/4 months annual leave in the year are entitled to comment on whether it is justified or not?

You'd soon find the real reason people take a career in teaching up if the annual leave entitlements were brought in line with other public sector workers.

Owen Brannigan

Quote from: Gaffer on June 17, 2017, 09:26:33 AM
Quote from: Owen Brannigan on June 17, 2017, 06:59:35 AM

Tell me how!

Total and utter bull! You made that up as you went along!

Yeah, you're right.  ::)