FAI...Spring friendlies for Interim Manager - Belgium/Swiss

Started by CĂșig huaire, November 19, 2009, 01:34:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sammymaguire

Ireland are 34th in the FIFA world rankings. A small island of the west coast of Europe with a small population, if we qualify for any major tournaments that's an achievement on it's own.
DRIVE THAT BALL ON!!

The Worker

Main Street

It's the third time we have gone there and the first time we have won and won easy without playing well. We didn't control the ball, but still controlled the game and won on merit. Russia, a far better team than us, were very lucky to get a win there.
Pointless complaining that the players are not better than they are. They are about the best available. If people don't like it at intl level, then follow the entertainment provided by Spain or Brazil or stick to whichever club is in fashion.

O'Shea is a good central defender if he doesn't have to lead. Unlike Dunne and St Ledger, he isn't assertive enough to lead a rookie partner. Kilbane had a good game as long as he didn't try to play too much. Neither Ward at RB nor Foley at LB have showed enough so far and Cunningham when he gets fit, looks the most likely full back.
Of course we can all cry out for whoever Dunphy thinks should be there at CM, who was it 2 years ago? - Andy Reid? then last year it was Fahey.
Next up, a friendly on Tuesday against Italy.

muppet

Quote from: Main Street on June 05, 2011, 12:30:54 PM
It's the third time we have gone there and the first time we have won and won easy without playing well. We didn't control the ball, but still controlled the game and won on merit. Russia, a far better team than us, were very lucky to get a win there.
Pointless complaining that the players are not better than they are. They are about the best available. If people don't like it at intl level, then follow the entertainment provided by Spain or Brazil or stick to whichever club is in fashion.

O'Shea is a good central defender if he doesn't have to lead. Unlike Dunne and St Ledger, he isn't assertive enough to lead a rookie partner. Kilbane had a good game as long as he didn't try to play too much. Neither Ward at RB nor Foley at LB have showed enough so far and Cunningham when he gets fit, looks the most likely full back.
Of course we can all cry out for whoever Dunphy thinks should be there at CM, who was it 2 years ago? - Andy Reid? then last year it was Fahey.
Next up, a friendly on Tuesday against Italy.

Is the deal here that you either sing Ole, Ole, Ole all the time or else you are a Dunphy supporter? Either seems to prevent individual opinion.
MWWSI 2017

magpie seanie

I am and have been a major critic of Robbie Keane and I have outlined why in clear terms previously. However, I will say that 51 goals for Ireland is simply incredible and I cannot see that ever being beaten. Didn't see the game so cannot comment on it. Didn't think we'd win beforehand so its clearly a bloody good result.

Hoof Hearted

1-0 up against italy, 15 mins to go. Keith Andrews goal
Treble 6 Nations Fantasy Rugby champion 2008, 2011 & 2012

No1

Andy Keogh - can anyone give me a positive? I honestly can't think of one and usually I try to see the best in someone!

Big Puff

great performance tonite against a much stronger italian team (on paper)

Capt Pat

Italy haven't beaten us in over 20 years now. I remember they beat us 2-0 in a tournament in the US in 1993 I think. Packie Bonner git sent off, it was 2-0 to Italy. In a subsequent match against Portugal Steve Staunton scored direct from a corner in a 2-0 win. That is all from memory.

Hoof Hearted

they wont do it tonight either - 2-0 now. Cox goal.

Would be great to qualify for a major tournament again
Treble 6 Nations Fantasy Rugby champion 2008, 2011 & 2012

Capt Pat

That is a big win for the repubalik. Italy are four time world champs and it is always nice to beat them. They don't get beaten by 2 goals very often.

SHEEDY

brilliant win tonight and it looks at last that we have some serious competition for places. hopefully we can keep it going and qualify for the euros.
nil satis nisi optimum

Denn Forever

If you want to see it, its on TG4 at the moment.

Beo if you believe that ;D
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

muppet

Quote from: Capt Pat on June 07, 2011, 09:28:20 PM
Italy haven't beaten us in over 20 years now. I remember they beat us 2-0 in a tournament in the US in 1993 I think. Packie Bonner git sent off, it was 2-0 to Italy. In a subsequent match against Portugal Steve Staunton scored direct from a corner in a 2-0 win. That is all from memory.

I'd Imogen it is alright.  ;)

MWWSI 2017

Billys Boots

For all our faults, it would appear that we are hard to play against and hard to beat, and it looks with each game that it is getting harder to do both/either.  So, isn't that the manager's job done?
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...