GAP insurance - yay or nay

Started by Smokin Joe, July 18, 2008, 10:58:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Smokin Joe

A quick google turned up a premium of £170.

JoeBloggs11

Lads,

seen this topic and wanted to ask about Gap Insurance,

What way does the gap insurance work? I bought a car a year ago and give me nothing but bother, had to replace engine, clutch etc. took it via finance - car was £7K

When the engine went I took it to the car dealership (well known) and they refused to cover it as the warranty was 12000 miles, even tho i was told 1 year. it turned out to be what ever was first.

So i put an engine in myself and it continues to give me jipp. the dealership i bought knows i put a new engine in. if for any reason my car got wrote off, and i claimed off my insurance, would the gap insurance still kick in and give me the difference?

supersarsfields

Take a good look at your gap insurance policy. Insurance companies differ in what each policy covers so hard to give you a standard answer. The car will be assessed on write of anyway. But if a new engine was required and was fitted correctly then it shouldn't affect the gap policy if anything *ahem* did happen. 

Keyboard Warrior

Do GAP policies tend to be taken for a number of years? Or renewed annually like regular car insurance?

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: JoeBloggs11 on July 02, 2015, 12:43:33 PM
Lads,

seen this topic and wanted to ask about Gap Insurance,

What way does the gap insurance work? I bought a car a year ago and give me nothing but bother, had to replace engine, clutch etc. took it via finance - car was £7K

When the engine went I took it to the car dealership (well known) and they refused to cover it as the warranty was 12000 miles, even tho i was told 1 year. it turned out to be what ever was first.

So i put an engine in myself and it continues to give me jipp. the dealership i bought knows i put a new engine in. if for any reason my car got wrote off, and i claimed off my insurance, would the gap insurance still kick in and give me the difference?

If my car got wrote off...you're some craic!!!! A few lads lined up to lift her and wreck her into a wall???  Don't worry, it's all anonymous here, yer safe!!!

The Raven

Had my car written off 18 months ago, didn't realise we had gap insurance until we checked paperwork. We were paying it along with HP, luckily we had only 3 weeks of our 3 years left. Well worth taking out but a one off payment is much cheaper than monthly