2017 All-Stars

Started by Fear ón Srath Bán, September 21, 2017, 10:03:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Orchard park

you feel he is getting scapegoated...........i feel he lucky to be considered among top 6 Mayo backs much less top 18 nationally so to try and understand how anyone could consider him fit to be an allstar nominee in 2017 i'm wondering if you could highlighty even 2 games he played well in.

and iot wasnt a "rash " decision it was the act of an extremely indisciplined player who selfishly did more than any other player prolong the 66 year wait onto maybe a 75 year one

Halfquarter

Quote from: macdanger2 on September 21, 2017, 10:24:57 AM
How come there are four nominations for POTY? It's only ever been 3. Clarke has had a decent year but I wouldn't have him near POTY - Higgins, Boyle, AOS closer even just from a mayo perspective.

Parsons as well?

Maroon Manc

Quote from: yellowcard on September 21, 2017, 11:32:12 AM
Quote from: Orchard park on September 21, 2017, 11:07:21 AM
Quote from: yellowcard on September 21, 2017, 10:59:06 AM
It's between Cluxton and Moran. Moran deserves it but it is effectively a popularity contest once it gets down to the nominations. Clarke and McCarthy have no chance and Cluxton may get a lot of sentimental votes due to his standing in the game. However Andy Moran will be very popular as well and based on performances he deserves it anyway.

David Moran and Donal Vaughan not even getting nominated are surprises. Vaughan is effectively getting punished twice for getting sent off but then again John Small was selected.

are you serious about Donal Vaughan.         which 2 performances would you have him there for ???

Didn't know that 2 good performances was the criteria for getting nominated. He has played consistently well without being outstanding but is getting slightly scapegoated for a rash decision in the final imo.

Apart from the moment of madness Vaughan had a very poor final, his mistakes led to 3 points for Dublin in the 1st half.

AZOffaly

Quote from: vallankumous on September 21, 2017, 10:09:06 AM
Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on September 21, 2017, 10:03:26 AM

Footballer of the Year Nominees
Stephen Cluxton (Dublin)
James McCarthy (Dublin)
Andy Moran (Mayo)
David Clarke (Mayo)

Two names taken from the Sunday Game panel and two tokens.
Though I do think Andy Moran is an easy choice

Have two goalies ever been nominated before?

nrico2006

Andy Moran should get it, but I still don't understand how Mayo continuously took him off in their games this year when he was their best player.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Orchard park

GPS trackers. thats why lee keegan threw his away

vallankumous

Quote from: nrico2006 on September 21, 2017, 12:09:15 PM
Andy Moran should get it, but I still don't understand how Mayo continuously took him off in their games this year when he was their best player.

He has a tendency to frustrate players around him later in games. in saying that he's the main reason they were still involved in the later stages of many games.

LeoMc

Quote from: vallankumous on September 21, 2017, 10:31:56 AM
Quote from: macdanger2 on September 21, 2017, 10:24:57 AM
How come there are four nominations for POTY? It's only ever been 3. Clarke has had a decent year but I wouldn't have him near POTY - Higgins, Boyle, AOS closer even just from a mayo perspective.

Two Goal Keepers. if there was 1 goal keeper we would know who is getting the All Star
Two Mayo men. if there was 1 Mayo man we would know who is getting the All Star

Syferus

Quote from: vallankumous on September 21, 2017, 12:12:18 PM

He has a tendency to frustrate players around him later in games. in saying that he's the main reason they were still involved in the later stages of many games.

He's been subbed off because he's 33 and out of gassed by the 55th minute.

EastTyrone

Quote from: AZOffaly on September 21, 2017, 12:04:14 PM
Quote from: vallankumous on September 21, 2017, 10:09:06 AM
Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on September 21, 2017, 10:03:26 AM

Footballer of the Year Nominees
Stephen Cluxton (Dublin)
James McCarthy (Dublin)
Andy Moran (Mayo)
David Clarke (Mayo)

Have two goalies ever been nominated before?

Two names taken from the Sunday Game panel and two tokens.
Though I do think Andy Moran is an easy choice

As the All Star team can only have one GK, does this mean one of the POTY nominees will not receive an All Star.
Must be the first time that has happened.

seafoid

I counted 17/45 who didn't play in the AIF. Slightly more than one in 3.
The All Stars are a joke
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

ballinaman

Quote from: Syferus on September 21, 2017, 12:18:24 PM
Quote from: vallankumous on September 21, 2017, 12:12:18 PM

He's been subbed off because he's 33 and out of gassed by the 55th minute.
Injured last Sunday and couldn't run with swelling behind his knee, after Fitzsimons fell on him in lead up to Doherty goal chance. 

magpie seanie

Quote from: seafoid on September 21, 2017, 12:27:57 PM
I counted 17/45 who didn't play in the AIF. Slightly more than one in 3.
The All Stars are a joke

Complete joke, I agree.

vallankumous

Quote from: EastTyrone on September 21, 2017, 12:21:12 PM

As the All Star team can only have one GK, does this mean one of the POTY nominees will not receive an All Star.

Yes, it's also why they included a second Gk.
The reason is that with only one goal keeper nominated you can be sure who will win the GK All Star.
A consequence of this is that the Goal keeper who does not win an All Star will know he was nominated as player of the year solely to protect the surprise of the All Star goal keeper at the awards.
Morgan also knows he was only nominated to fill up the third place and that he is really not in the contest.

magpie seanie

Quote from: vallankumous on September 21, 2017, 12:38:19 PM
Quote from: EastTyrone on September 21, 2017, 12:21:12 PM

Yes, it's also why they included a second Gk.
The reason is that with only one goal keeper nominated you can be sure who will win the GK All Star.
A consequence of this is that the Goal keeper who does not win an All Star will know he was nominated as player of the year solely to protect the surprise of the All Star goal keeper at the awards.
Morgan also knows he was only nominated to fill up the third place and that he is really not in the contest.

Maybe we'll have a joint goalkeeper award this year. Nothing would surprise me.