Cork fans flying the confederate flag

Started by Eamonnca1, August 14, 2017, 06:46:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stew

Quote from: trileacman on August 20, 2017, 11:51:53 AM
Quote from: stew on August 20, 2017, 10:09:42 AM
Quote from: LCohen on August 20, 2017, 09:31:21 AM
Quote from: BennyCake on August 19, 2017, 03:14:30 PM
The fact is, I've seen Cork fans fly it since the late 1980's, and never heard a peep about it. Now someone drew attention to it because it coincided with this Charlottesville thing, and now we are all told we should feel disgusted by it.

This is all coming from the big lads in Croke Park, the focus is on the GAA, and it's tarnishing the GAA's name. Well, those same big lads have sat back for 30 years and seen the flag flown, knowing it's significance and meanng, but it's only now they're up in arms about it. Hypocrisy, how are ye?

If things have been wrong for a while we should just let them be. Doing anything about it would risk an accusation of hypocrisy and we couldn't have that now

The sheep are told what to think by their media and they react, I have never seen anything like it, the media kick up a fuss overseas so naturally the Cork fans that have been flying a confederate flag are suddenly racists, I have never seen anything quite like peoples response to liberal media these days, the so called reporters write about a perceived issue and the sheep bleat on social media with faux outrage, which would be fine except where was their outrage before the were told they needed to be outraged?

Catch yourselves on snowflakes, the confederate flag being flown in Croker has nothing to do with Slavery etc and everything to do with the word Rebels, no racism to see here, go find a protest to join about something else you are outraged about!

I would disagree with at least 7000 of your posts but you've hit the nail bang on the head here.

Blind squirrel and all that.

We don't have to agree, I am happy enough as long as the person who disagrees with me is honest and forthright.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: sid waddell on August 20, 2017, 11:27:10 AM
Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on August 20, 2017, 08:27:49 AM
Quote from: sid waddell on August 19, 2017, 05:04:25 PM
That is quite obviously not the case with the flag of the UK.

That you don't find objectionable the flag of a country that still occupies part of your own, and which has a reprehensible overseas history to this day with ill-starred military excursions in Afghanistan, Iraq, etc., being simply the latest instalment is your choice; and it's also the prerogative of some of us more directly affected to take an alternative position.
Of course it's your prerogative.

But are you objecting to the legitimacy of the UK flag as the flag of an internationally recognised nation state or denying the right of anybody in the UK to fly it should they so wish?

That you find the Butcher's Apron to be totally innocuous, quite frankly, astonishes me. Have you no conception of the history of the British Empire, from when she first asserted herself on Bannow Bay, in Wexford, until the present day, and the blood that has been ruptured with every imperial adventure, seriously? It''s every bit as offensive to me, though I do appreciate that most adherents are blindly and blithely ignorant of the gory history that inevitably accompanies that rag, and you might not be so conciliatory towards it were you forced to face it daily, AGAINST your will.
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

sid waddell

Quote from: stew on August 20, 2017, 11:55:36 AM
Quote from: trileacman on August 20, 2017, 11:51:53 AM
Quote from: stew on August 20, 2017, 10:09:42 AM
Quote from: LCohen on August 20, 2017, 09:31:21 AM
Quote from: BennyCake on August 19, 2017, 03:14:30 PM
The fact is, I've seen Cork fans fly it since the late 1980's, and never heard a peep about it. Now someone drew attention to it because it coincided with this Charlottesville thing, and now we are all told we should feel disgusted by it.

This is all coming from the big lads in Croke Park, the focus is on the GAA, and it's tarnishing the GAA's name. Well, those same big lads have sat back for 30 years and seen the flag flown, knowing it's significance and meanng, but it's only now they're up in arms about it. Hypocrisy, how are ye?

If things have been wrong for a while we should just let them be. Doing anything about it would risk an accusation of hypocrisy and we couldn't have that now

The sheep are told what to think by their media and they react, I have never seen anything like it, the media kick up a fuss overseas so naturally the Cork fans that have been flying a confederate flag are suddenly racists, I have never seen anything quite like peoples response to liberal media these days, the so called reporters write about a perceived issue and the sheep bleat on social media with faux outrage, which would be fine except where was their outrage before the were told they needed to be outraged?

Catch yourselves on snowflakes, the confederate flag being flown in Croker has nothing to do with Slavery etc and everything to do with the word Rebels, no racism to see here, go find a protest to join about something else you are outraged about!

I would disagree with at least 7000 of your posts but you've hit the nail bang on the head here.

Blind squirrel and all that.

We don't have to agree, I am happy enough as long as the person who disagrees with me is honest and forthright.
Comical.  ;D

Your entire output on this forum involves looking at what your imagined bogeyman, the "liberal media", are saying, and then taking a position against anything they say.

Honesty and forthrightness aren't in your lexicon.

stew

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on August 20, 2017, 12:08:13 PM

That you don't find objectionable the flag of a country that still occupies part of your own, and which has a reprehensible overseas history to this day with ill-starred military excursions in Afghanistan, Iraq, etc., being simply the latest instalment is your choice; and it's also the prerogative of some of us more directly affected to take an alternative position.

But are you objecting to the legitimacy of the UK flag as the flag of an internationally recognised nation state or denying the right of anybody in the UK to fly it should they so wish?

That you find the Butcher's Apron to be totally innocuous, quite frankly, astonishes me. Have you no conception of the history of the British Empire, from when she first asserted herself on Bannow Bay, in Wexford, until the present day, and the blood that has been ruptured with every imperial adventure, seriously? It''s every bit as offensive to me, though I do appreciate that most adherents are blindly and blithely ignorant of the gory history that inevitably accompanies that rag, and you might not be so conciliatory towards it were you forced to face it daily, AGAINST your will.

Fear he is too far gone to reason with, there is no reaching this man and no point in trying.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

sid waddell

Are you advocating for the UK flag to be abolished?

I'm well acquainted with both Irish and UK history, thanks.

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: sid waddell on August 20, 2017, 12:13:13 PM

I'm well acquainted with Irish history, thanks.

I advocate simply what I always have: BRITAIN GET THE FCUK OUT OF IRELAND, and anywhere else she has no right being in. Then, and only then, might her flag be harmless.

BennyCake

I understand the history but the Union flag doesn't bother me. I actually think it sad when I see it draped round lampposts and wore on hats/bow ties etc on the Twelfth. I also think it's sad when I see the tricolour wrapped around idiots on St Patrick's Day and other occasions, and placed on lampposts at Easter. Those things speaks volumes to the mentality of people we're dealing with.

sid waddell

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on August 20, 2017, 12:16:35 PM

I advocate simply what I always have: BRITAIN GET THE FCUK OUT OF IRELAND, and anywhere else she has no right being in. Then, and only then, might her flag be harmless.

Do you advocate Poland get the f**k out of Germany? There are some Germans who think what is currently the eastern part of Poland should still be in Germany - it has only been Polish since 1945.

Similarly, part of what was formerly Poland is now in Ukraine.

East Prussia, which was German, is part of Russia these days.

You need a better strategy than just telling Britain to "get the fook out", because that isn't going to work, especially as a majority of people in the six counties are not of your opinion.

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: sid waddell on August 20, 2017, 12:28:43 PM

Do you advocate Poland get the f**k out of Germany? There are some Germans who think what is currently the eastern part of Poland should still be in Germany - it has only been Polish since 1945.

You need a better strategy than just telling Britain to "get the fook out", because that isn't going to work, especially as a majority of people in the six counties are not of your opinion.

Are you really so contemptuous of your very own history? Your Straw Men have no place here, Ireland's integrity geographically does not bear comparison with the melting-pot of mainland Europe, though that you cite them by way of reference explains a lot.

sid waddell

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on August 20, 2017, 12:34:38 PM
Quote from: sid waddell on August 20, 2017, 12:28:43 PM

Are you really so contemptuous of your very own history? Your Straw Men have no place here, Ireland's integrity geographically does not bear comparison with the melting-pot of mainland Europe, though that you cite them by way of reference explains a lot.
I know my history, mate.

I support a united Ireland but I know that attitudes like yours aren't going to advance anybody anywhere.

Fear ón Srath Bán

If you were sensitive to history you could not, under any current circumstances, see the Union Flag as innocuous. Just not possible.

Nor will I take 'advice' from you or your confreres re reunification -- unlike yourself, I'd say, I mix and fraternise regularly with the 'other side', and am well attuned.

Hardy

I have a Cork person in my extended family. He doesn't bring confederate flags to matches but if he tried to, I'd tell him to cop himself on and, if necessary, explain to him what the flag symbolises these days. And if he still insisted, I'd tell him he could stand on his own at the match.

But Fear, I need your advice. There are two English people in my extended family. When Ireland next play England in Dublin, am I to tell them that I find their flag offensive and they should leave it at home or I'm not going to any match with them?

Fear ón Srath Bán

Hardy, the English flag, the St George's is fooking grand, as they well know themselves. And as they equally know, the Butcher's Apron is not, nor has it ever been, an 'English' flag.

Sincerely hoping that answers your kind query, yours, FóSB.

longballin

It was a white flag Cork brought to Croke Park last week..  ::)

Hardy

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on August 20, 2017, 01:25:06 PM
Hardy, the English flag, the St George's is fooking grand, as they well know themselves. And as they equally know, the Butcher's Apron is not, nor has it ever been, an 'English' flag.

Sincerely hoping that answers your kind query, yours, FóSB.

Sorry, I'm even more confused now. The English flag often co-opted by the National Front, among other upstanding community activists) is OK, but the Union flag is not?  My brother-in-law probably wouldn't go within an ass's roar of the NF flag, but he'd imagine he'd be grand with the flag of his sovereign country. What am I to tell him and where am I to sit/stand if he tells me if it's OK for me to take my flag* then he's f**ing well going to take his (even if his vexillology is somewhat suspect)?

* I wouldn't be taking any flag, but that's not the point.