Cork fans flying the confederate flag

Started by Eamonnca1, August 14, 2017, 06:46:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eamonnca1

Quote from: tonto1888 on August 16, 2017, 08:12:18 AM
Quote from: Eamonnca1 on August 16, 2017, 01:12:28 AM
Quote from: stew on August 16, 2017, 12:42:01 AM
Siddles,  the confederate flag is not used in this country to promote racism, perpetuate racism or further any right wing cause, I have an idea, why don't you build Irelands first safe space and crawl up in there and thinkore ways to be offended! K?

Neither is the Nazi flag. Okay to fly it?

You said in a previous post that the rebuttal for the imperial flag of Japan was that we are not talking about the imperial flag of Japan. In he same note we are not talking about a nazi flag so why bring that up?

Okay then, let's talk about the flag of Imperial Japan. I wouldn't recommend flying that either, I'd rather fly the current Japanese flag.

There, happy now?

Eamonnca1

Quote from: JPGJOHNNYG on August 16, 2017, 09:12:11 AM
What is it with this place and flegs. Have we not got enough of them here to worry about. Those who have a problem with the confederate flag should have a problem then with the Tricolour. People can pick and choose what they want something to mean ie a flag of Southern pride or a flag of racism a flag to symbolise peace between Catholics and Protestants or a rag draped over some terrorists coffin. Or what about are beloved Rory parading around at every opportunity with that Ulster banner. Is he just proud to be from Northern Ireland or is he delighted with the one party junta that oppressed Northern Ireland for 50 yrs. Im guessing its the former. Now will you all fecking wise up.

Jesus Christ. The Irish national flag equated to the flag of southern racist plantation owners. I've heard it all now.

Eamonnca1

Quote from: tonto1888 on August 16, 2017, 03:17:27 PM
And can we stop calling it the confederate flag, because it isn't the confederate flag

There goes the hair-splitting again.

Lamh Dhearg Alba

What is it with this place and flegs. Have we not got enough of them here to worry about. Those who have a problem with the confederate flag should have a problem then with the Tricolour. People can pick and choose what they want something to mean ie a flag of Southern pride or a flag of racism a flag to symbolise peace between Catholics and Protestants or a rag draped over some terrorists coffin. Or what about are beloved Rory parading around at every opportunity with that Ulster banner. Is he just proud to be from Northern Ireland or is he delighted with the one party junta that oppressed Northern Ireland for 50 yrs. Im guessing its the former. Now will you all fecking wise up.

Again, the tricolour point is a particularly poor one. Those who designed it clearly believed, naively perhaps, that it was a flag which could represent different traditions and peace between them. The flag we are discussing here was never meant to mean that, it represents one community dominating another. It doesn't represent southern pride either and anybody who is proud of that part of their history is on very dodgy ground.

To me this is a simple enough matter. I'd suggest that those who think the flag is fine and all a bit of craic don't know or don't understand the history and connotations of it, or don't want/can't be bothered confronting any of that. Or they are genuine racists.

Lar Naparka

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on August 16, 2017, 05:08:57 PM

Jesus Christ. The Irish national flag equated to the flag of southern racist plantation owners. I've heard it all now.
I don't want to get into a row with anyone, Eamonn but I can't help wondering what might happen if you draped the tricolour over your shoulders and marched up the Sandy Row?
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

Eamonnca1

Quote from: Lar Naparka on August 16, 2017, 05:52:51 PM

I don't want to get into a row with anyone, Eamonn but I can't help wondering what might happen if you draped the tricolour over your shoulders and marched up the Sandy Row?

I'd prolly get bate. Why do you ask?

dublin7

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on August 16, 2017, 07:31:08 PM

During the Charlotte protests there was a prominent picture of a confederate flag beside a flag with a swastika. Once you are even associated with the Nazis I would think you've lost the argument.

Lar Naparka

Well, you wrote this: "Again, the tricolour point is a particularly poor one. Those who designed it clearly believed, naively perhaps, that it was a flag which could represent different traditions and peace between them."
It was designed with the best intentions to acknowledge both traditions. But it's taken to represent something else entirely by our Loyalist brethern.
A Nationalist and a Loyalist can both look at the same flag and they will draw very different conclusions from doing so.
Same flag- different opinions. You see the Stars and Bars as a symbol of racism and intolerance and many Corkonians would feel insulted if they were regarded as racists because they  associate it with colour, excitement, a great day out and a feed of Murphy's or Beamish afterwards.                   
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

Gmac

Ken burns did an exceptional documentary series  on the civil war in 1990 and went into great detail on the average soldier on each side , don't know if it would be tolerated today or the opinions of a Shelby foote or other contributors .

J70

Quote from: Gmac on August 16, 2017, 07:56:40 PM
Ken burns did an exceptional documentary series  on the civil war in 1990 and went into great detail on the average soldier on each side , don't know if it would be tolerated today or the opinions of a Shelby foote or other contributors .

Why wouldn't it be tolerated? Burns goes into great depth about the issues. Rendering judgement doesn't preclude giving an account of what life was like for the participants.

Ironically, there are plenty of comments on the likes of Amazon calling that and other series by Burns and his brother liberal garbage.

tonto1888

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on August 16, 2017, 05:12:08 PM
Quote from: tonto1888 on August 16, 2017, 03:17:27 PM
And can we stop calling it the confederate flag, because it isn't the confederate flag

There goes the hair-splitting again.

I know it's splitting hairs. Just something. I learned today and found it interesting. Doesn't change the meaning or history of the flag

Eamonnca1

Quote from: Lar Naparka on August 16, 2017, 07:48:47 PM

Well, you wrote this: "Again, the tricolour point is a particularly poor one. Those who designed it clearly believed, naively perhaps, that it was a flag which could represent different traditions and peace between them."

Don't seem to remember ever writing any such thing. But go on...

It was designed with the best intentions to acknowledge both traditions. But it's taken to represent something else entirely by our Loyalist brethern.
A Nationalist and a Loyalist can both look at the same flag and they will draw very different conclusions from doing so.
Same flag- different opinions. You see the Stars and Bars as a symbol of racism and intolerance and many Corkonians would feel insulted if they were regarded as racists because they  associate it with colour, excitement, a great day out and a feed of Murphy's or Beamish afterwards.                 

If I walked through Sandy Row draped in a rainbow flag I'd probably get bate too. Doesn't mean the rainbow flag is anything sinister. What a crowd of loyalist knuckleheads think is irrelevant. The confederate flag is rightly seen as repugnant by normal people and by wider society. There's no comparison.

Eamonnca1

Quote from: tonto1888 on August 16, 2017, 04:13:03 PM
Another point is why are people only now making such an issue of it?

Same reason it's increasingly unacceptable to use racist epithets.

tonto1888

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on August 16, 2017, 08:40:28 PM

People have always made issues of this though

Orior

Quote from: tonto1888 on August 16, 2017, 08:45:47 PM
Quote from: Eamonnca1 on August 16, 2017, 08:40:28 PM

People have always made issues of this though

Nonsense.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians