Cork fans flying the confederate flag

Started by Eamonnca1, August 14, 2017, 06:46:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tonto1888

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on August 15, 2017, 09:47:10 PM
Quote from: Orior on August 15, 2017, 08:07:17 PM
Cork fans have been flying the Confederate flag since I first started watching Gaelic on television. Anyone who thinks Cork fans were endorsing white supremacy need to have a serious look at themselves. Plus, they can shove their 'offence' up their arse.

You'd be okay with them flying a Nazi flag then? It's red and white isn't it?

Have they flown a nazi flag? Whataboutery at its finest here

tonto1888

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on August 16, 2017, 01:12:28 AM
Quote from: stew on August 16, 2017, 12:42:01 AM
Siddles,  the confederate flag is not used in this country to promote racism, perpetuate racism or further any right wing cause, I have an idea, why don't you build Irelands first safe space and crawl up in there and thinkore ways to be offended! K?

Neither is the Nazi flag. Okay to fly it?

You said in a previous post that the rebuttal for the imperial flag of Japan was that we are not talking about the imperial flag of Japan. In he same note we are not talking about a nazi flag so why bring that up?

JPGJOHNNYG

What is it with this place and flegs. Have we not got enough of them here to worry about. Those who have a problem with the confederate flag should have a problem then with the Tricolour. People can pick and choose what they want something to mean ie a flag of Southern pride or a flag of racism a flag to symbolise peace between Catholics and Protestants or a rag draped over some terrorists coffin. Or what about are beloved Rory parading around at every opportunity with that Ulster banner. Is he just proud to be from Northern Ireland or is he delighted with the one party junta that oppressed Northern Ireland for 50 yrs. Im guessing its the former. Now will you all fecking wise up.

Keyser soze

The levels of righteous indignation from people getting hot under the collar, taking themselves so seriously  ;D ;D ;D

Orior

Quote from: armaghniac on August 16, 2017, 12:34:36 AM
The meaning of this flag has not changed since 1865. The idea that it is more unacceptable today than last year is nonsense.

Correct. Is EamonMacha afraid that if he sees the rebel flag he might turn into a racist?
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Lar Naparka

Quote from: JPGJOHNNYG on August 16, 2017, 09:12:11 AM
What is it with this place and flegs. Have we not got enough of them here to worry about. Those who have a problem with the confederate flag should have a problem then with the Tricolour. People can pick and choose what they want something to mean ie a flag of Southern pride or a flag of racism a flag to symbolise peace between Catholics and Protestants or a rag draped over some terrorists coffin. Or what about are beloved Rory parading around at every opportunity with that Ulster banner. Is he just proud to be from Northern Ireland or is he delighted with the one party junta that oppressed Northern Ireland for 50 yrs. Im guessing its the former. Now will you all fecking wise up.
Ya know what? You have a way with words. You should post more often. ;D
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

AZOffaly

I don't think anybody seriously thinks there are racial supremacy motives behind the Cork fans flying the flag. There was obviously a convenient hook back in the 80s or whenever they started flying it. The colour, the South, the Rebels. It's not surprising someone made the connection and it became a 'thing'.

Back in those days, pre-internet and pre-easy access to history, the American Civil War and the South in General was a much more noble thing. Hollywood gave us Gone With the Wind and numerous other movies that portrayed a brave struggle between an overmatched rebel force and a superior Northern Army. It showed us the victories of Lee, Jackson and Grant and the only difference in how they were portrayed was the South was slightly more ragamuffin, and had cooler accents, and seemed a lot more 'gentlemanly'. In those movies the Slavery angle was very soft soap. Other movies who were harder on slavery didn't really focus on the CSA angle, it was more against individual slave owners.

Slavery was portrayed as BAD, but the Civil War was portrayed as a familial squabble, with brave men on both sides.

TV gave us Dukes of Hazzard and all that fun, while general Americana gave us pickup trucks with Confederate Flags, Country Music singing about the South and other benign, even admirable views of the South.

That being the public portrayal, I think it is understandable where it came from. As I said in the other thread, I whistle the old song Dixie quite regularly when I'm walking or whatever. I don't in any way associate it with slavery, even though of course it is.

Nowadays, because of what that flag has come to mean in modern times, and because of the inherent issues with regard to slavery in the CSA, the Cork lads should stop flying it, because it is the right thing to do. I don't believe they are racists, or white supremacists, (although they are undoubtedly Cork Supremacists) but because of what the rest of the world now sees that flag as, they don't want to be associated with it. And if they do, then that sends a much more damaging signal.

JPGJOHNNYG

Quote from: Lar Naparka on August 16, 2017, 10:22:59 AM
Quote from: JPGJOHNNYG on August 16, 2017, 09:12:11 AM
Ya know what? You have a way with words. You should post more often. ;D

Cheers and Ill rant again if people continue to talk shite. Dont see the point of flying the flag myself but understand its a bit of craic. Most flags and symbols are going to be controversial to someone somewhere so whats the solution ban the lot of them? Thought from this part of the world we would have enough crappy flags already to get wound up about.

J70

Sligo fans should use the ISIS flag. Kildare the Taliban one. Why reinvent the wheel when there are perfectly good designs already out there? Especially when sporting them is not an endorsement of their original symbolism.

AZOffaly

Surely Kildare should use the Klan flag? They already wear white, and even start with K. The KKKK.

Lar Naparka

Quote from: AZOffaly on August 16, 2017, 12:35:14 PM
Surely Kildare should use the Klan flag? They already wear white, and even start with K. The KKKK.
Dear Frankie,
I have a rifle, a fairly high-powered yoke that I go target shooting with. (If you follow me.)
Should I give up this pastime because this type of gun has been used to kill people and by using it for innocent purposes I am giving offence to somebody else.?
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

sligoman2

Quote from: J70 on August 16, 2017, 12:25:12 PM
Sligo fans should use the ISIS flag. Kildare the Taliban one. Why reinvent the wheel when there are perfectly good designs already out there? Especially when sporting them is not an endorsement of their original symbolism.

J70, please remove this post.  I'm not easily offended but this is upsetting to say the least.

The simple and correct answer is to not fly a confederate or any other flag at a match that has dark undertones.  However I won't be getting rid of my black and white checker flag because racing cars burn fossil fuels...
I used to be indecisive but now I'm not too sure.

sid waddell

Quote from: Keyser soze on August 16, 2017, 09:49:30 AM
The levels of righteous indignation from people getting hot under the collar, taking themselves so seriously  ;D ;D ;D
Imagine taking racism and the issue of racist flags so seriously.  ;D

Mental, isn't it?

I mean, you can't even call somebody a "black ****" now and not have somebody object.

I mean, it's just a bit of craic.

Personally I think Sligo supporters should dress up in blackface.

That'll teach 'em.

J70

Quote from: sligoman2 on August 16, 2017, 01:10:40 PM
Quote from: J70 on August 16, 2017, 12:25:12 PM

J70, please remove this post.  I'm not easily offended but this is upsetting to say the least.

The simple and correct answer is to not fly a confederate or any other flag at a match that has dark undertones.  However I won't be getting rid of my black and white checker flag because racing cars burn fossil fuels...

Sorry, but no.

Flags have meaning.

And we are talking about specific symbols of oppression and terrorism and bigotry. Not checkerboard patterns with multiple mundane applications.

J70

Quote from: Lar Naparka on August 16, 2017, 12:56:34 PM
Quote from: AZOffaly on August 16, 2017, 12:35:14 PM
Dear Frankie,
I have a rifle, a fairly high-powered yoke that I go target shooting with. (If you follow me.)
Should I give up this pastime because this type of gun has been used to kill people and by using it for innocent purposes I am giving offence to somebody else.?

Why stop your slippery slope argument there?

Why not a kitchen knife?

Or a car?

How about a plane?

They're all tools which have and can be used to kill.

Except, all those things were not designed to symbolize something or convey a specific meaning.