GAA books

Started by Jinxy, August 17, 2011, 12:13:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

T Fearon

No.Might get it though,probably will.

T Fearon

Just bought it in Easons Newry! £9.99 offer and I had £2.55 also on my Easons Loyalty Card,net cost £7.44!

Mayo4Sam

Jackie Tyrell's book sounds like it'll be very good.

On other books:
House of Pain - great read for a Mayo person at least, some great stories
Out of our skins - very good read
Working on a dream - dire, one of about three books I've ever stopped reading midway through
Until victory always - exactly what I expected from McGuinness, he complete lack f self awareness is hilarious, how he can completely berate someone for doing something, say he would never do anything like that and then proceed to explain him doing that exact thing
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

From the Bunker

Quote from: T Fearon on September 10, 2017, 05:18:21 PM
Just bought it in Easons Newry! £9.99 offer and I had £2.55 also on my Easons Loyalty Card,net cost £7.44!

How much did Parking cost you?

T Fearon

Zilch.No charge for Sunday parking😁

BennyCake

Quote from: Mayo4Sam on September 11, 2017, 06:19:28 PM
Jackie Tyrell's book sounds like it'll be very good.

On other books:
House of Pain - great read for a Mayo person at least, some great stories
Out of our skins - very good read
Working on a dream - dire, one of about three books I've ever stopped reading midway through
Until victory always - exactly what I expected from McGuinness, he complete lack f self awareness is hilarious, how he can completely berate someone for doing something, say he would never do anything like that and then proceed to explain him doing that exact thing

Read House of Pain about Mayo football. Good read.

Currently reading McGuinness's book. Just got up to the part where hes rolled out the confidentiality contracts. It's about to get interesting!

T Fearon

There will no doubt be a raft of GAA books coming up to the Christmas season as usual,which I will buy but never get round to reading.Have found book about Cormac Mc Anallen riveting though.Couldn't resist the final chapters first dealing with the shock sudden death and aftermath,and am now engrossed in the early chapters and his time in my alma mater,St Pat's Armagh and the mention of a few teachers who were there in my day.

Ethan Tremblay

Read Working On A Dream a few years ago and thought it was a great book.  The manager is pure old school character as far as I remember and reading it now probably shows how far things have developed in terms of set up and professionalism in the past 10 years. 

The easy choice would be to lift Kieran Donaghys book and read about how glorious it is to play for Kerry and the fierce battle in Croke Park his generation have had.  Reading WOAD is a proper insight into how teams truly struggle, whether it be for players, recognition from the County Board or from their own fans. 
I tend to think of myself as a one man wolfpack...

T Fearon

I see the Gooch has a book coming too.Available to pre order on Amazon

Avondhu star

Quote from: T Fearon on September 12, 2017, 10:00:07 AM
There will no doubt be a raft of GAA books coming up to the Christmas season as usual,which I will buy but never get round to reading.Have found book about Cormac Mc Anallen riveting though.Couldn't resist the final chapters first dealing with the shock sudden death and aftermath,and am now engrossed in the early chapters and his time in my alma mater,St Pat's Armagh and the mention of a few teachers who were there in my day.
You're getting great value from your remedial reading class
Lee Harvey Oswald , your country needs you

T Fearon

Gooch's book in Easons Newry at 16.99.Got it online for £14.90. He is non too complimentary about Armagh's win in 02,reckons Kerry handed that one over on a plate

GetOverTheBar

Quote from: J70 on July 25, 2016, 06:02:00 PM
Finally got Rory Kavanagh's book.

Surprisingly interesting read for someone who wasn't a player with a huge profile.

Focus is mainly on the McGuinness years, although there are some italicized "flashback" type sections here and there on earlier times. Very detailed insight into McGuinness's methods, way more in depth than what Kevin Cassidy revealed. The endless drills, the punishing fitness regime, especially that first year, the near two stone he had to pack on in muscle, the near-perfect tactics and gameplan and prescience of MCGuinness with that second Dublin semi, their failures, attack-wise in the first, the focus on Tyrone all through 2011, and so on. And also, he certainly doesn't contradict the pre-McGuinness perceptions about the partying Donegal team or the attitude of the likes of Tyrone and Armagh towards them back then.

One story concerns the post-2009 quarter finals, where the Dublin lads, who were hammered by Kerry, ended up joining the Donegal lads, who had been hammered by Cork, on the beer. Kavanagh ended up partying and crashing in Bernard Brogan's house in Castleknock. In another, he tells of either Brian McIvor or Mickey Moran  (can't remember which - there were a few such stories!) trying to reach the boys who had gone on the piss in Glenties instead of going training. Their respective phones rang one by one, until one of them eventually answered. Another one from the 2002 Derry game on how he was sat on the subs bench, listening to Ireland v Spain in the World Cup, and hardly noticing what was going on on the pitch in front of him (I remember that game well, as I was one of probably 200 people at the game until the soccer had finished, when the pubs emptied and the  rest of the fans left the Clones pubs and arrived around half-time).

Some interesting accounts of his personal tussles with the likes of Darren Hughes and Michael Dara McAuley and the different approach he would have taken with the likes of Tomas O'Se. He admits, fully, that he was not started in the 2014 Ulster final due to McGuinness not trusting him, worried he would be distracted by personal issues with Hughes, arising partly out of the league final earlier that year when he got the line after an altercation (he lost his boot, and when he came back to retrieve it, Hughes and another Monaghan player were throwing it about and wouldn't return it. Needless to say, he lost the head, and after more verbals, poked Hughes in the balls with the boot).

Well written by Liam Hayes too.

Have to say Kavanagh's book was the most interesting of all the recent raft of GAA books released for me, recommend to anyone who hasn't read it.

As stated above, some great anecdotes in it. 

seafoid

Quote from: T Fearon on October 06, 2017, 09:56:12 AM
Gooch's book in Easons Newry at 16.99.Got it online for £14.90. He is non too complimentary about Armagh's win in 02,reckons Kerry handed that one over on a plate
They only beat one confident team in his 5 medal haul.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

seafoid

Quote from: T Fearon on September 08, 2017, 02:42:23 PM
Amazed the Royal Black Preceptory in Tyrone sent the Mc Anallen family a letter of condolence after the tragic death.

The death of a sportsman in his prime is shocking even if you don't follow the sport

To an Athlete Dying Young
BY A. E. HOUSMAN
The time you won your town the race
We chaired you through the market-place;
Man and boy stood cheering by,
And home we brought you shoulder-high.

Today, the road all runners come,
Shoulder-high we bring you home,
And set you at your threshold down,
Townsman of a stiller town.

Smart lad, to slip betimes away
From fields where glory does not stay,
And early though the laurel grows
It withers quicker than the rose.

Eyes the shady night has shut
Cannot see the record cut,
And silence sounds no worse than cheers
After earth has stopped the ears.

Now you will not swell the rout
Of lads that wore their honours out,
Runners whom renown outran
And the name died before the man.

So set, before its echoes fade,
The fleet foot on the sill of shade,
And hold to the low lintel up
The still-defended challenge-cup.

And round that early-laurelled head
Will flock to gaze the strengthless dead,
And find unwithered on its curls
The garland briefer than a girl's.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

BennyCake

Finished Jim McGuinness's book. Good read.

Amazing how close he came to not going back to education and onto the path to becoming a coach. Heartbreaking too reading about his two brothers dying.