Sean Óg not part of Denis Walsh's plans

Started by heffo, October 18, 2010, 01:31:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hurling_lad

Quote from: heffo on October 19, 2010, 09:10:28 AM
Is there more to this than meets the eye?

http://www.independent.ie/sport/hurling/cork-stars-ponder-retirement-after-walsh-axes-o-hailpin-2384754.html

"It has emerged that some Cork hurlers had already got together in recent weeks in anticipation of a cull by management."

"In an unrelated development, it has also emerged that paper never refused ink and it is also being reported that you can make up and print anything you like as long as you are vague, use the passive voice and don't attribute the story to a source."

lynchbhoy

while not as good as he was, I think Cork are mad to discard him !
Best of luck to him in the future !

when I heard about this I have to say that i'd suspect part of Walsh's reasoning for this is to ship out the 'rebel leaders' (and the supposed bad influences) literally !
Donal Og's influence diluted without Sean Og !

orangeman

Sean Óg isn't finished playing at the highest level yet :

Australia will prepare for their International Rules Series encounters with Ireland by taking on a UCC/CIT selection that is expected to include Seán Óg Ó hAilpín at Páirc Uí Rinn on Wednesday.

It is likely the Australians will face several of Cork's All-Ireland SFC winning team in the UCC/CIT side; likely to feature in the starting XV are Colm O'Neill, Ciarán Sheehan, Paul Kerrigan, Aidan Walsh and Ray Carey.

Ó hAilpín, who revealed yesterday that he has been told by the Cork senior hurling management that he is not in their plans for next season, may start the match for the university selection.

jones

Sean Og had had a fine season this year. He stuffed Noel Macgrath (the all star) in the first round in Ceausescu Park (Pairc ui Chaoimh) and was one of the only players for Cork to hold his own against Kilkenny later in the year. He is stronger, fitter, and more clever a player than anyone contending for his position. I am all in favour of the best man getting the position; no favours should be shown to anyone, that's the nature of the sport. If someone can tell me however who at present should take Sean Ogs position then I'll show you a fool. There's no one. He should be asked back to training and if in training he is still the best man for that position, then the position should be his, ruling him out now is stupid at best and sinister at worst. Look at what Counihan did this year with experienced impact subs like Nicholas Murphy. Despite his otherwise dubious tactics this proved in my opinion to be a masterstroke. When Canty and Murphy were introduced in the final, it turned the game. Donal Og who was probably the only other cork player who could have earned an all star this year will be next. It's the vendetta by way of the puppet all over again. The Cork county board and friends would rather not win an all Ireland for twenty years than give up the chance to get even. What a despicable way to treat as fine a sportsman and role model as Sean Og.

orangeman

Quote from: jones on October 19, 2010, 06:24:09 PM
Sean Og had had a fine season this year. He stuffed Noel Macgrath (the all star) in the first round in Ceausescu Park (Pairc ui Chaoimh) and was one of the only players for Cork to hold his own against Kilkenny later in the year. He is stronger, fitter, and more clever a player than anyone contending for his position. I am all in favour of the best man getting the position; no favours should be shown to anyone, that's the nature of the sport. If someone can tell me however who at present should take Sean Ogs position then I'll show you a fool. There's no one. He should be asked back to training and if in training he is still the best man for that position, then the position should be his, ruling him out now is stupid at best and sinister at worst. Look at what Counihan did this year with experienced impact subs like Nicholas Murphy. Despite his otherwise dubious tactics this proved in my opinion to be a masterstroke. When Canty and Murphy were introduced in the final, it turned the game. Donal Og who was probably the only other cork player who could have earned an all star this year will be next. It's the vendetta by way of the puppet all over again. The Cork county board and friends would rather not win an all Ireland for twenty years than give up the chance to get even. What a despicable way to treat as fine a sportsman and role model as Sean Og.

Class !  ;)

theskull1

A Reillersesque first post if ever I saw one

So it's a conspiracy now is it and they're all in it together? And walsh is a puppet now is he? Is that what you've always believed but only sought to join this board and voice it after he's been in the job for two seasons? Dennis Walsh will have his own view and I'm sure it is in the best interests of cork hurling in the short to medium term. As manager of the cork hurling team he is well entitled to do as he sees fit if his motives are in corks best interest? You may not like them but it just might be a good decision only you can't see it yet? What makes you think you know better than Dennis Walsh? Dennis Walsh was/is a Cork legend as well BTW
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

belleaqua

Sean Og had had a fine season this year. He stuffed Noel Macgrath (the all star) in the first round in Ceausescu Park (Pairc ui Chaoimh) and was one of the only players for Cork to hold his own against Kilkenny later in the year. He is stronger, fitter, and more clever a player than anyone contending for his position. I am all in favour of the best man getting the position; no favours should be shown to anyone, that's the nature of the sport. If someone can tell me however who at present should take Sean Ogs position then I'll show you a fool. There's no one. He should be asked back to training and if in training he is still the best man for that position, then the position should be his, ruling him out now is stupid at best and sinister at worst.

Ok obviously there's plenty of merit in saying as he's the best for that position now then he should be there next season full stop. However it is also fair to argue that Walsh is taking a longer term view. I think he realises Cork will not win an All-Ireland in the next 2-3 years with or without Sean Og. Therefore why not start taking a longer term approach that will bear fruit sooner rather than later? Undoubtedly his replacment(s) will take time to learn but they will learn sooner rather than later if given the opportunity.

I think Walsh recognises the absence of a Cork youth development plan in the past few years and must take the pain now. Tipp and Kilkenny and to a lesser extent Galway, Dublin and Clare are better prepared for the near future than Cork are. Walsh is acting unselfishly, in my opinion given that he knows he will be remembered as an unsuccessful manager in terms of silverware but is his mind acting in the long term and widespread interests of Cork hurling.

belleaqua

It's the vendetta by way of the puppet all over again. The Cork county board and friends would rather not win an all Ireland for twenty years than give up the chance to get even. What a despicable way to treat as fine a sportsman and role model as Sean Og.

And this continued conspiracy stuff when a decision that people dont like is made is pathetic at this stage. Denis Walsh was recommended by 3 well respected independent legends of Cork hurling but now as he enters his third season he shows his true colours as a sleeping agent of the Cork Co. Board???? ::) Give it a rest.

heffo

Cmon Reillers, you've invested too much in the Reillers brand to just walk away now and start posting as someone else.

Your stock may be at an all time low, but I urge you to copy and paste from Rebelgaa, through it. You can do it.

I ask you, nay I implore you Reillers...don't do it...

Tony Baloney

Reillers, reporting from the bushes outside Gerald McCarthy's house.

johnneycool

Sean Og had a mare against Galway in the national league final, he wasn't the only one on the Cork side that evening so it wasn't all rosey for him this year. not to mention the games he's missed through injury.

I don't think he's done but his powers are waning and no matter how fit and strong you are he's certainly lost a yard of pace. Could he play elsewhere where off the mark pace isn't as important?
The likes of Ray Ryan certainly don't look to be too hot of a replacement and no spring chicken either, so unless Walsh has a lot of young blood to come in like JBM did in 99 after seeing that the current incumbents were no longer up to the job then shifting Sean O'g out to pasture wouldn't make sense.

rrhf

Great captain he was, inspirational he was, likeable he was, great hurler he was, manageable he was at times too.  Ill prefer to remember him before him and others around him introduced the poisin of player power into the GAA and simultanaeously fluffed this generation of Cork Hurlers chance to win an all Ireland. 

cicfada

I actually met the man himself yesterday briefly and commiserated with him. He was quite philisosphical about it! Nothing he can do I suppose! Also from my sources close to the team, it is clear that he is the only one that was dropped from the panel and this is the source of surprise/anger down here.  The older one   gets the  harder it is to recover from injuries and his hamstrings were always giving him trouble.

heffo

Quote from: cicfada on October 20, 2010, 09:31:25 PM
I actually met the man himself yesterday briefly and commiserated with him. He was quite philisosphical about it! Nothing he can do I suppose! Also from my sources close to the team, it is clear that he is the only one that was dropped from the panel and this is the source of surprise/anger down here.  The older one   gets the  harder it is to recover from injuries and his hamstrings were always giving him trouble.

Leaving all the other stuff aside, from a Hurling perspective, this is a strange one - Walsh doesn't strike me as the 'striking back' kind if you'll excuse the pun, so why drop SOOH at this stage?

He's evidently not doing a mass clearout, SOOH was far from Cork's worst player this year and doesn't have the quality to replace him.

gallsman

Quote from: johnneycool on October 20, 2010, 11:14:22 AM
I don't think he's done but his powers are waning and no matter how fit and strong you are he's certainly lost a yard of pace. Could he play elsewhere where off the mark pace isn't as important?
The likes of Ray Ryan certainly don't look to be too hot of a replacement and no spring chicken either, so unless Walsh has a lot of young blood to come in like JBM did in 99 after seeing that the current incumbents were no longer up to the job then shifting Sean O'g out to pasture wouldn't make sense.

Massive problem, there is no young blood in Cork by all accounts at the minute.