FAI...Spring friendlies for Interim Manager - Belgium/Swiss

Started by CĂșig huaire, November 19, 2009, 01:34:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Main Street

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on May 24, 2011, 11:31:47 PM
Quote from: AZOffaly on May 24, 2011, 10:43:09 PM
I'd say they would have played him, he wasn't bad.

I see on OWC they reckon the ROI fans booed the NI anthem, booed Steven Davis, and chanted ooh-ah Up the 'Ra?

GSTQ got a bit of a half-hearted booing alright. Nothing compared to what the Scots or the Welsh give it though. Can't say I noticed any of the others.
Davis received boos when he was leaving the pitch to be subbed.
Hardly worth mentioning, never mind deserve a presupposed conditional condemnation from AZ, based on owc hearsay.
The game was played in good friendly spirt all through.
I just hope the  owc fans were more law abiding than the drunk and disorderly element who attended their game against Scotland.

Puckoon

Why's it hardly worth mentioning? Would it be mentioned if the roles were reversed?

David McKeown

I see on OWC they reckon the ROI fans booed the NI anthem, booed Steven Davis, and chanted ooh-ah Up the 'Ra?

Is this true? Pathetic if so.

I went down to the match with a couple of my NI supporting mates and we were sat close the most vocal Ireland fans.  Initially we thought they were chanting oh ah up the ra but when we actually listened it was clear they were singing a song about Paul McGrath of which the line oh ah Paul McGrath was used. Whilst it was clear from where we were sitting that was what they were singing I can understnad what it must have sounded like at the other end.

I didnt notice Davis getting any abuse either although the anthem was booed which was not nice to hear and should be condemned. That said The most trouble though seemed to come from the NI fans though when they unfurled a banner saying "FAI stop poaching our players but you can have Gibson" after which there seemed to be a few minor disturbances between NI fans and stewards.
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner

new devil

Quote from: David McKeown on May 25, 2011, 02:24:10 AM

I went down to the match with a couple of my NI supporting mates and we were sat close the most vocal Ireland fans.  Initially we thought they were chanting oh ah up the ra but when we actually listened it was clear they were singing a song about Paul McGrath of which the line oh ah Paul McGrath was used. Whilst it was clear from where we were sitting that was what they were singing I can understnad what it must have sounded like at the other end.

I didnt notice Davis getting any abuse either although the anthem was booed which was not nice to hear and should be condemned. That said The most trouble though seemed to come from the NI fans though when they unfurled a banner saying "FAI stop poaching our players but you can have Gibson" after which there seemed to be a few minor disturbances between NI fans and stewards.

:D :D :D

Declan

Delighted for Stephen Ward. Trap only told him at lunchtime he was playing and it capped off a great week for him. 

nifan

BBC report said anthem was "roundly booed", but didnt mention anything about davis or up the ra, though main street seems to confirm that the davis one happened.

tommysmith

Quote from: nifan on May 25, 2011, 08:24:01 AM

BBC report said anthem was "roundly booed", but didnt mention anything about davis or up the ra, though main street seems to confirm that the davis one happened.

All them things are mild compared what would have happened if the shoe was on the other foot.

lynchbhoy

yes gstq was booed - you could hear it on the telly clearly enough from the news highlights.
People say it wasnt that much or that many booing- well there was fcuk all of a crowd so it woul dhave been a large enough percentage to be that audible imo.
ok maybe young lads half drunk acting the maggot - but still booing.

didnt hear boos for davis during the match, but I dont think he had the ball more than twice in the highlights.

didnt hear any ooh ahh up the ra.
Did see plenty of union jacks - must have been at least 4/5 - prob one uj for every 5 members of the north of Ireland support !

RTE did start their highlights programme hinting at some 'trouble' or disturbance - but this wasnt mentioned at the end of the prog - that I heard anyhow.
I suspect now that it was related to the crowd 'trouble' - was it bad  and how bad was it. Couldnt have been much, th enews had nothing on it and there were feck all north of Ireland fans there anyhow.

Finally - good run out for Ireland B team - shows that we have more strength in depth than the north's B team !

laoislad - yer a sour hoor  - but that made me laugh !

lynchbhoy

Quote from: Declan on May 25, 2011, 08:17:36 AM
Delighted for Stephen Ward. Trap only told him at lunchtime he was playing and it capped off a great week for him.
[/quote
jeez- he did well, was impressed with him last night - ok he wasnt up against much but he looked good and showed a poachers instinct! Big lad too it seems...
well done to him, i'd say the family are over the moon !

lynchbhoy

after seeing Fermanagh's performance last sunday, I thought they were the worst team around - but I think we could set up a game v the north of Irleand side - fecking hell they are well matched.

Also - Trappatoni's english is getting more like 'stavros' each time I hear him !!!

:D

Main Street

Quote from: Puckoon on May 24, 2011, 11:56:10 PM
Why's it hardly worth mentioning?
It was hardly worth mentioning because no NI player was booed when playing, the game was played in good spirits, one player got booed by 50 or 60 when he was leaving the pitch to be subbed, it was hardly worth mentioning.
Just like the booing of the President was hardly worth mentioning.

QuoteWould it be mentioned if the roles were reversed?
I don't know, I'm not into having conditional opinions.

The Watcher Pat

Oh aye a few people booed Davis and its a big scandal....I was at the match...There's no mention of the Orange Order flag that was produced or the fans trying to burn a Irish flag just after going 4-0 down...Get back on your high horse...
There is no I in team, but if you look close enough you can find ME

Main Street

The Watcher Pat

Don't know but the smell must have been horrific..lol
There is no I in team, but if you look close enough you can find ME

magpie seanie