Broadband

Started by Arthur_Friend, October 07, 2013, 04:12:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mad Mentor

Has anyone experience of satellite broadband. Currently looking at it but the data packages seem quite small. 150Gb max.

Main Street

Quote from: Mad Mentor on August 25, 2022, 12:58:07 AM
Has anyone experience of satellite broadband. Currently looking at it but the data packages seem quite small. 150Gb max.
Sat broadband is a last resort, only if needs must. Needs are defined by being out of range of broadband and 4G.

Smokin Joe

Go for Starlink. I have it about 6 months it and just got an email that sub price is being reduced to £75. I had no other options for decent internet.  It's great.

general

I'm currently using Three Mobile Broadband (plug in and it works) until the fibrus roll out is completed in my area (Autumn 2022)

its giving me Approx 15mb/s for 14 quid a month - whilst its not what i want its better than the current available bt line (1-2mb/s)

the onion bag

Quote from: Smokin Joe on August 25, 2022, 07:17:10 AM

Go for Starlink. I have it about 6 months it and just got an email that sub price is being reduced to £75. I had no other options for decent internet.  It's great.

I heard that today and apparently the price of the hardware has dropped to under £500. What speeds are you getting? Would it be reliable enough at peak times and for working from home?

Smokin Joe

Quote from: the onion bag on August 25, 2022, 11:30:44 AM
Quote from: Smokin Joe on August 25, 2022, 07:17:10 AM

I heard that today and apparently the price of the hardware has dropped to under £500. What speeds are you getting? Would it be reliable enough at peak times and for working from home?

I get between 60 - 150MB d/l and15 - 25MB u/l speeds.  It's great for WFH during the day.

Main Street

Sat broadband has certainly improved a lot, both in pricing and speed, since I last looked at it.

HiMucker

Quote from: Main Street on August 25, 2022, 02:35:19 AM
Sat broadband is a last resort, only if needs must. Needs are defined by being out of range of broadband and 4G.
Is this still the case? I'm looking in to it here, as we have Vodafone and only get around 5mb, probably lower on average. Its starting to be a real pain with 3 kids with them all watching down thing different between YouTube and Netflix. Paying 50 quid a month for that shit service anyway. I'm just wondering would the satellite broadband be much of an upgrade, and allow me to stream the football and that with minimal buffering?

Itchy

Anyone here in south using imagine broadband. The folks have an old landline connected and when someone calls they can't see the callers number. I think it's cos it's an old handset. Anyone using a handset with imagine that doesn't have that issue. Make and model would be great to know.

armaghniac

Quote from: HiMucker on October 15, 2022, 01:54:09 PM
Quote from: Main Street on August 25, 2022, 02:35:19 AM
Is this still the case? I'm looking in to it here, as we have Vodafone and only get around 5mb, probably lower on average. Its starting to be a real pain with 3 kids with them all watching down thing different between YouTube and Netflix. Paying 50 quid a month for that shit service anyway. I'm just wondering would the satellite broadband be much of an upgrade, and allow me to stream the football and that with minimal buffering?

One question is when is proper landline broadband coming to your area? If there is fibre-optic coming down your road it might be better just to wait.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Mourne Red

Has anyone got a 4G system out in to use for their WiFi?? We've been on to Fibrus and the local MLA but no progress about Fibre Optic coming down our lane (a few houses down it with bad connection)

Tempted to get the 4G system in place but not sure how good it would be if anyone has an experience off it and it's good I'm tempted it to go for it - Have BT atm and 1mbs up and 10mbs down just doesn't cut it

Quote from: Mourne Red on December 29, 2022, 09:25:34 AM
Has anyone got a 4G system out in to use for their WiFi?? We've been on to Fibrus and the local MLA but no progress about Fibre Optic coming down our lane (a few houses down it with bad connection)

Tempted to get the 4G system in place but not sure how good it would be if anyone has an experience off it and it's good I'm tempted it to go for it - Have BT atm and 1mbs up and 10mbs down just doesn't cut it

And if you want ridiculous speeds you could use the Starlink satellite WiFi. 224 download speeds. 90 a month though

LC

Getting up the upgrade at the moment and it would seem my original BT cable across a neighbours field was not ducted.  Openreach will need to therefore lay a duct to pull the new cable through, I am awaiting for them to quote for this.  Has anyone any experience of a similar situation and did it cost much?

Mhic Easmuint

Quote from: LC on January 05, 2023, 10:42:14 AM
Getting up the upgrade at the moment and it would seem my original BT cable across a neighbours field was not ducted.  Openreach will need to therefore lay a duct to pull the new cable through, I am awaiting for them to quote for this.  Has anyone any experience of a similar situation and did it cost much?
Openreach Engineer that was out with me told me it would be cheaper to get the duct laid myself.  In my case it was only 30m from the edge of my property and he said BT would start at £1000.  Got someone I knew with a small digger to do it for alot less.

Aristo 60

Openreach did ftp for me 3 years ago - laid cable and duct up the driveway of about 40 yards, came across the garden another 10 yards or so, dug up and then relayed pavers of another 8ft or so from garden to house. All free gratis (ignoring the line rental that has followed every month since!)