OByrne Cup 2020

Started by Laoiseabu, October 18, 2019, 12:35:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

High Fielder

I don't know what it is about us in Laois, but we find it hard to accept that you can't just replace good players or managers with ease. John Sugrue was good for us, and Quirke is a big gamble. Donie Kingston was good for us, and Sugrue decided Gary Walsh wasn't good enough to play in Division 3. He somehow is going to make up the shortfall now we're in Division 2. There are others and I could go on, and we also have this habit of assuming that anyone half decent will automatically make it at Intercounty level. Some of the forwards we have playing at the moment are only average club players, and in all honesty, it's ridiculous to be even opening the door for them.

It's going to be a tough year, unless Quirke is a f**king magician as well.

thegreeenandgold

I think that's a fair enough assessment,  Quirke walked into it with his eyes wide open which is hard to fathom.

High Fielder

I hope he goes on to be a massive success. I hope all those players I think are not good enough prove me wrong. Of course I do. But I hate that we seem to have to reset every couple of years and go over old ground to bring us to the point we were at two years ago. It's either the very definition of madness or flogging a dead horse.

Butch Cassidy

What Portlaoise lads have committed to Laois? We badly need to add pace and power into the team

Unlaoised

Has quirke contacted and Portlaoise players like Boyle Brody  etc I've heard he hasn't
LAOIS ABÚ

Laoiseabu

I've been told Seale, Boyle and Dillon aren't committing

welcomehome

The only players returning to laois from portlaoise are lillis anbd benny caroll...

Giovanni

It's a shame if Brody has decided not to commit. Huge potential and changed the way managers think about goalkeepers.

Blow-in

Only one man at fault for Brody and that's Brody himself. Be under no illusions there. Unfortunately it looks like his career will peter out and he will be more talked about for his off field antics which unfortunately is a growing issue among the youth of today.

High Fielder

Let's not start mounting our high horses here people. Is it really that big a surprise to see lads not wanting to commit? The Intercounty scene is a messed up place right now, and there is little if any enticement for lads in Laois and many other counties to devote their precious time to football or hurling. Eddie Brennan made me laugh the other day when he spoke about those not wanting to commit. He wouldn't be seen within an asses roar of the place if he wasn't get compensated for his efforts. There's a conversation that needs to take place, and it shouldn't be about why individual players choose not to commit.

When your captain, best forward and a recent player of the year walk away, off the back of a successful season, oh and the coach too, there's something badly wrong. Could it be that Intercounty participation in places like Laois is just not that important to some lads? And can we forgive them for that. I know I can, as disappointing as it is for all of us.

SCFC

It would be disastrous if Brody didn't return. The next choice keepers just aren't at his level. Keogh is a great shotstopper but a bit inconsistent on kicking. Corbett I haven't seen but the reports aren't wonderful. Last year's sub keepers Osborne and Comerford are pretty average. Young Byron is prone to the odd mistake but might be the best option long term.

Laoiseabu

Judging by the fact there is only a couple from Portlaoise comiitting this year it looks like our team that played Meath on Saturday is very close to full strength . It always seems to be one step foward two steps back in Laois which is very frustrating .

Neutralobserver

laois just are not good enough, great credit to the players for committing as it takes a hugh effort but they just are not up to the standard that we all want them to be. no matter what manager we have the players just arnt there

blueandwhite1

God I hope none of the lads that have committed read this page anyway. They would all walk away before a ball is kicked in anger in 2020.

High Fielder

Don't be so naive blueandwhite, Nothing we say makes that much difference. They only have to look around them to see that something is badly wrong. The challenge for them I suppose is to make discussions about players who have opted out redundant. Somehow I get the feeling it's all we're going to be talking about. I hope I am wrong.