LAOIS SENIOR FOOTBALL 2016

Started by Unlaoised, January 12, 2016, 12:46:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tony

I've had pretty decent expecations at the start of most years for the last 10 years but this year is my all time low in terms of expectations :).

Never know though - my high expecations didn't do us a whole lot of good in the last ten years apart from a couple of years (Hey McNulty wasn't half bad when you analyse where we got to)  ::)

Maybe we just have to face, that we're an average side, and we're getting average results. I still believe that we can do better though.

To be fair, the lads are busting a gut, and that's all anyone can ask for. Looking forward to cheering on the lads in Summer. I HOPE I'll be surprised at where we get to. Laois abu  8)

Unlaoised

Quote from: Tony on April 13, 2016, 04:33:15 PM
I've had pretty decent expecations at the start of most years for the last 10 years but this year is my all time low in terms of expectations :).

Never know though - my high expecations didn't do us a whole lot of good in the last ten years apart from a couple of years (Hey McNulty wasn't half bad when you analyse where we got to)  ::)

Maybe we just have to face, that we're an average side, and we're getting average results. I still believe that we can do better though.

To be fair, the lads are busting a gut, and that's all anyone can ask for. Looking forward to cheering on the lads in Summer. I HOPE I'll be surprised at where we get to. Laois abu  8)

Tony tony tony ...your far to positive for this thread you will get banned!!! ;D ;D ;D
LAOIS ABÚ

Tony

Yeah. Comes a time when you realise that we're not all-ireland contenders, ever - so if your team is trying their best, what more can you ask. Otherwise you'd be miserable watching your team. Success is seeing your team trying their best. As a supporter, If you set high expectations for an average ranked side like Laois, then you're probably gonna be dissappointed. I'm gonna enjoy Laois in 2016, as, even if we don't have the ability in management and players, we know they're trying their best. I know this is a LOT different to my previous posts but and the end of the day, it's a game. If they represent the county as best they can, we can't ask for more.

And there's ALWAYS that 1 in 100 chance that we'll do a Leiceter.

Junior Ex Laoistalk

Totally agree Tony, lets see the players do all they can do and hope the Co.Board stand up and do the same. That's all we as supporters and the players want..
Winners are not those who never fail, but those who never quit!

Unlaoised

Quote from: Tony on April 14, 2016, 05:18:41 PM
Yeah. Comes a time when you realise that we're not all-ireland contenders, ever - so if your team is trying their best, what more can you ask. Otherwise you'd be miserable watching your team. Success is seeing your team trying their best. As a supporter, If you set high expectations for an average ranked side like Laois, then you're probably gonna be dissappointed. I'm gonna enjoy Laois in 2016, as, even if we don't have the ability in management and players, we know they're trying their best. I know this is a LOT different to my previous posts but and the end of the day, it's a game. If they represent the county as best they can, we can't ask for more.

And there's ALWAYS that 1 in 100 chance that we'll do a Leiceter.

While I respect you as a poster Tony I'm not sure about this post.

Yes I'm an always look on the bright side sort of person and I probably big up Laois teams more than most on here...

The attitude of ahhh Sure we aren't great but sure we are Laois what do we expect doesn't work in my book...

Its a real midlands trait and it's the reason why counties like ourselves Carlow Westmeath Offaly(recently)Longford never have much success.This needs to be changed I know your being realistic but this is the way our county board thinks and this is the route of our problems.

We have very few people in this county that have get up and go ...Its always the same come out of matches beaten and its "ahhhh sure what did we expect"..."I'm not going up there again to watch them"
"Laois are Laois thank God i didn't wear my colours"

Looks at the likes of Monaghan/Roscommon with populations similar to ourselves now I know they don't have hurling to concentrate on but really is there a reason we couldn't get close to the likes of them??

Even the people in the likes of Louth go to matches with big expectations they bring color and they are proud of their wee county....

I'm not having a go at anyone in particular but this "ahh sure"attitude needs to change or we will never ever see bright days ahead.
Micko to a certain extent changed it he raised the standards of things and look where that got us.

I'm proud to be a Laois man I'm very vocal when I'm at games where as other Laois people sit on their hands nearly afraid to clap a score in case people would think your from Laois??

Before the success of the minors we were probably the worst county to bring color to games I've been going to games for years(not just my own county) and even back when Wexford were not having much success they brough passion and color to games the same with Clare and Limerick ...I'm talking about late 80's when these counties hadn't won thing in decades ..

Even county has a dream each year I dream we all dream is there any point in dreaming with low expectations as a well known add on the TV quotes now "If your dream doesn't scare you ,your dream isn't big enough"

Imagine getting over Wicklow decent performance no injuries the squad raring to go ...#Positive vibes(WE AIN'T PLAYING THE DUBS IN CROKER).... Who's to say we can't shock the Dubs in Nolan park ....Bigger upsets have happened in sporting history ...........

I'm a realist and I know it's unlikely and I'm sure even the players might think that but if we could just change our mentality a little and go with the expectation i  bit higher I think this county as a whole could benefit......

Rant over  ;D

LAOIS ABÚ

south Laois

My own father always says this and it drives me mad." ah sure once they put up a good show". Makes my blood boil. With that sort of attitude your beat before you go out.

SCFC

Looks at the likes of Monaghan/Roscommon with populations similar to ourselves now I know they don't have hurling to concentrate on but really is there a reason we couldn't get close to the likes of them??

I honestly think you've answered your own question. Half of our small county has no interest in football and half no interest in hurling. It is hard to overcome.

Tony

Great post, Unlaoised, and I totally agree. I just know that this year is already pretty much a write off by the sounds of things, so, mentally I'm changing my focus for the year. Otherwise I'd just stop going to all the matches as it'd drive me absolutely nuts. I'm just going to support the player's effort this year.

I know we can do a LOT, lot better, but that's for later - This year it seems like we're a poorly organised, poorly prepared headless chicken type team but by god we try our hardest. And I'm ok with that for this year.

HOWEVER, I'm going to personally contact county board members with ideas for progression and follow up with them shortly. This is simply not good enough. Change starts on the ground. 2016 is a write off but 2017 should and will be different.

Donnellys Hollow

Laois are playing Kildare in Monasterevin on Sunday 1 May at 4 o'clock.
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

les Antiques

Kilkennys performance this weekend underlines again the ludicrous decision to bring Dublins opening match in Leinster to Nowlan Park . Kilkenny contribute absolutely nothing to Gaelic football . That decision continues to baffle me considering how much emphasis Laois put on been a dual county .

redsetanta

The Leinster representative stated that the reason it was there was purely because there were more seats and therefore more people could go. Figure that one out!
The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. VinceLombardi

les Antiques

I wonder how much more people can fit inside Nowlan Park to OMoore park ? Are the GAA that desperate for that extra few quid . !?

redsetanta

If they were that bothered surely the Laois CB could kick up about it and have it played in O'Moore Park. I doubt the Dubs care that much where they play it.

Wouldn't have anything to do with money now would it?
The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. VinceLombardi

The Monument Road

Jesus lads lets worry about Wicklow first....it scares me the way some of ye are talking about playing Dublin in Kilkenny with a very real banana skin awaiting.....nothing is guaranteed

les Antiques

I think your missing the point Monument Road !! It's not about who plays Dublin .. It's about where it's played ! We all realise that Wicklow and Laois will be very close and we will be in trouble if we repeat that Meath performance amongst others . The fact of the matter is Wicklow or anyone else should not have to go down to Kilkenny a hurling dynasty to play Dublin . There are many football orientated Towns in Leinster that are well capable of hosting the Dubs.