Laois Intermediate Hurling Championship 2020  

Started by The PRO, September 13, 2020, 06:19:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The PRO

Don't think there's a thread.

Just wondering, as I don't know the background, why this Colt Shanahoe amalgamation hasn't worked out? Would have thought two intermediate or senior B teams joining would have had a huge shot at the senior B championship.

burdizzo

Two average teams joining up won't necessarily produce anything above average unless there are 'big' (good county-standard) players on each side. And so it has proved.
However, they may stick at it since they both have barely anything coming through underage. In fact, even as an amalgamation, they'll be hard pressed to be where they are in 10 years time, so little have they coming on.

The PRO

Quote from: burdizzo on September 13, 2020, 07:31:37 PM
Two average teams joining up won't necessarily produce anything above average unless there are 'big' (good county-standard) players on each side. And so it has proved.
However, they may stick at it since they both have barely anything coming through underage. In fact, even as an amalgamation, they'll be hard pressed to be where they are in 10 years time, so little have they coming on.
Fair enough. Just that you'd imagine replacing the weaker half or third or whatever of one of the clubs with the best of the other club should have at least produced some result. They were probably more affected by Covid by most other clubs you'd imagine?

Keyser Söze

If you could add in Chris Murray & Leigh Bergin you'd have a serious improvement.
Interestingly a guy who had been very involved with their underage teams for the past 5/6 years is doing very well with a different club at this grade. Who is coaching Colt Shanahoe?
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled.......

BallyroanAbu

My belief is Shanahoe & Colt have made the right choice, the problem with amalgamations is that they generally come about for the wrong reasons notably some sort of instantaneous success.  Good teams are a numbers game and two small clubs struggling will improve for be able to provide a solid juvenile base with one team.  I am not predicting major success but this amalgamation offers  a way forward to both clubs in the long term.

Keyser Söze

The greatest trick the devil ever pulled.......

Heshs Umpire

The Harps must be strong favourites to win this?
Well I could keep it above
But then it wouldn't be sky anymore

redsetanta

Are they not one of the favourites every year Hesh?
The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. VinceLombardi

Heshs Umpire

Quote from: redsetanta on September 15, 2020, 03:47:27 PM
Are they not one of the favourites every year Hesh?
They sure are. I just think there's no-one as strong as Rosenallis in it this year and they should finally get over the line.
Well I could keep it above
But then it wouldn't be sky anymore

burdizzo

Last time Portlaoise played them in a final, they were roughed out of it!
But, I agree, Harps should win it.