New winners of Sam or Liam

Started by rory, October 02, 2009, 01:12:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rory

This decade saw 2 first time winners of Sam (Armagh and Tyrone) and the 90's saw 2 also (Derry and Donegal).  I think the last new winner of Liam was Offaly in '81.

So, will there be another new winner any time soon.   I doubt there will be one in hurling, but as for football, Fermanagh, Monaghan, Sligo, Laois or Westmeath are the only team probably capable of getting to the latter stages.

Will there ever be another first time winner?

AFS

I think Antrim and Wicklow, given their populations, are better long term bets than some of the counties that you've named there. As much as I'd like to see them do it, I can't ever see Fermanagh assembling a team capable of going all the way with the size of their playing base.

GalwayBayBoy

We'll be waiting a while I think.

SLIGONIAN

Sligo will win Sam within the next 15yrs. Im sure when we do budweiser will repost this ;).

Fermanagh should of got into a AI FINAL in this decade IMO so I wouldnt write them off.
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

western exile

Monaghan are very close.  They have had unbelievable bad luck of the draw in the Qualifiers.  Perhaps they may have missed their chance, but then again perhaps they still have enough left to go the whole way.

ONeill

In 1999 the only signifier for Tyrone was the '97/'98 minor sides. The senior side were very average. Wouldn't have been too confident of an All-Ireland within 10 years. Armagh had just won their first Ulster in 100 years in '99 and coupled with the Cross achievements then an All-Ireland was distinctly predictable.

Laois, Monaghan, Sligo, Fermanagh, Antrim, Leitrim, Waterford, Clare, Carlow, Kilkenny, Longford, Westmeath and Wicklow.

Laois reached U21 final in 2006 and the minors won in 2003. In the immediate future they represent a best bet, yet very slim at that. Winning a Leinster would be an achievement.

I think Monaghan (present side) are on the wane.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Joe Umbrella (hey)

With regards to the above comments, niether Fermanagh nor Monaghan will win Sam anytime soon as they just dont have they players. Both teams have improved in recent years due to the employment of extreme defensive systems but in reality neither have even won Ulster with the current panels. Its no secret that Banty has searched far and wide for new players whilst Fermanagh have had problems with finding a decent free taker in recent years and also a couple of scoring forwards.

As for Monaghan not having any luck in the qualifiers, that's rubbish - Niether Tyrone last year nor Kerry this year who both came through the qualifiers needed luck. Its all about class and qaulity. Good teams make thier own luk.

Definatley Antrim for me a team to watch out for in the future. A good young squad a result of a lot of work being done at grass roots, do'nt know if it will end up with an AI though 

under the bar

QuoteWill there ever be another first time winner?

In both codes the answer is yes.  Of course there will be other winners eventually.

cornafean

Quote from: Joe Umbrella (hey) on October 02, 2009, 01:46:48 PM
As for Monaghan not having any luck in the qualifiers, that's rubbish - Niether Tyrone last year nor Kerry this year who both came through the qualifiers needed luck. Its all about class and qaulity. Good teams make thier own luk.

Fair enough, but if Monaghan had faced Longford, Sligo and Antrim in this year's qualifiers, they would have been odds-on to progress to the quarter-finals. They would also have had a good chance of beating Dublin, and maybe even Meath in the semi-final.  :o
Boycott Hadron. Support your local particle collider.

western exile

Quote from: cornafean on October 02, 2009, 01:59:36 PM
Quote from: Joe Umbrella (hey) on October 02, 2009, 01:46:48 PM

Fair enough, but if Monaghan had faced Longford, Sligo and Antrim in this year's qualifiers, they would have been odds-on to progress to the quarter-finals. They would also have had a good chance of beating Dublin, and maybe even Meath in the semi-final.  :o
Correct.  No one is saying that about Monaghan and luck.  What was said was that they have had "bad luck of the draw" !  Which is true. No county has had to face such strong opposition in the qualifers as often as Monaghan has

Canalman

Laois or Antrim imo. Monaghan I think have overachieved (to their credit) recently but being hard to beat/ break down alone won't win you the AI.

I like Antrim/St Gall's style of football.

No hope I'm afraid for Longford, Leitrim, Westmeath or Wicklow for a while yet.

Farrandeelin

Quote from: SLIGONIAN on October 02, 2009, 01:22:01 PM
Sligo will win Sam within the next 15yrs. Im sure when we do budweiser will repost this ;).

Fermanagh should of got into a AI FINAL in this decade IMO so I wouldnt write them off.

2024 it is so for you to win Sam at least once. I'll mark that down somewhere. Dublin have 3 years to win Liam McCarthy because my cousin told me 7 years ago that Dublin would win one in the next decade!
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

SLIGONIAN

Quote from: Farrandeelin on October 02, 2009, 04:29:25 PM
Quote from: SLIGONIAN on October 02, 2009, 01:22:01 PM

2024 it is so for you to win Sam at least once. I'll mark that down somewhere. Dublin have 3 years to win Liam McCarthy because my cousin told me 7 years ago that Dublin would win one in the next decade!

No worries Farrandeelin, we are going to do it.

Well lads last yr Sligo didnt exactly get easy ride in the draw, Tipp in Tipp and Kerry in Kerry.
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

blanketattack

I think Sligo might be next. They beat the '03 chamions in '02 and came closest to beating the '09 champions (in the c'ship proper).
If Brian Cody and Kilkenny get bored of winning hurling All-Irelands and switch to concentrating 100% on football instead I'm sure they'd win one before long as well. Tommy Walsh would become the new Ryan McMenamin!
Going by population Wicklow.

GalwayBayBoy

Sligo will do well to win another Connacht title in the next 15 years let alone an All-Ireland. Christ Galway may not even win all All-Ireland in the next 15 years. That's just the way these things go. History has taught us that much.

I wish I had the optimism of some of our neighbours. I think we're a pessimistic breed down here. :(